Overton?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leahcim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Overton?

Post by Leahcim »

I have recently purchased this whistle at my local music store. The tag said Overton and it was priced at 85 US dollars. The fipple end does not resemble those of the Overton line. Also there are no markings other the "D" stamp at the bottom end. The whistle plays well and is responsive, I am very pleased with it, however I would like to know who made it if it is not indeed an Overton.

http://img55.imageshack.us/i/192110.jpg/
http://img53.imageshack.us/i/192130.jpg/
http://img76.imageshack.us/i/192058.jpg/
http://img215.imageshack.us/i/192033.jpg/
http://img54.imageshack.us/i/192015.jpg/
http://img83.imageshack.us/i/192026.jpg/
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Re: Overton?

Post by ahogrelius »

-Looks like a tuneable Chieftain to me...

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The Phil Hardy/Chieftan site has a video in which Phil gives tips for indentifying all of the various models of whistles he has made over the years. It's extremely helpful because of the large number of his whistles floating around people come across of unknown provenance.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Sadly, confusion persisted over the years about this. Overtons are stamped "Overton" on the tube. A lot of shops sold Chieftains as Overtons and it sounds like this continues.
arnie

Post by arnie »

The pictures show a Chieftain for sure. I do not understand the confusion, because the head is differently shaped in both whistles. Obvious eg. is that the sides of the head of the Overton are straight as where the Chieftain's head has rounded sides and also round the windway they are differently shaped. Most obvious is off course the stamp at the end of the whistle which marks its brand.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

arnie wrote:I do not understand the confusion
Well, not all whistle buyers have detailed knowlege of the history of whistle morphology.

When your vendor hands you an instrument for purchase and tells you that it is X when it isn't, it's hardly fair to blame the customer. Yes, caveat emptor. But it's the seller's business to know what they are selling, especially when the problem has a history that can be researched.

Of course, in this case, it looks like Leahcim ended up with a good whistle at a good price. :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Leahcim wrote:I have recently purchased this whistle at my local music store.
Buck's County Folk Music perchance?
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
starstutu

Post by starstutu »

I've had a few Chieftains and I don't remember the bottom E hole being so large or the tunable joint to protrude out so much. It doesn't look like a Chieftain but it could be one of his earlier models. I would send the pictures to Colin Goldie of Overton/Goldie whistles and ask him. I'm sure he can identify the maker. He's very knowledgable of whistles made by other makers.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dale wrote:Sadly, confusion persisted over the years about this. Overtons are stamped "Overton" on the tube. A lot of shops sold Chieftains as Overtons and it sounds like this continues.
Newer Chiffers who are unfamiliar with this problem may want to read the History section of Dale's vintage article on Overtons and Chieftains here:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whatamess.html

In addition to the distinctive name stamp and Colin's signature, new Goldie Overtons are also accompanied by a signed Certificate of Authenticity to guard against either honest mistakes or misrepresentations.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Yes, very much looks like the Chieftain NR .. BUT - the slide looks to be retro-fitted. I've never seen an NR Chieftain with that polished line towards the top of the slide-outer.

For those who don't care to search the history and rich story chronicled in this very tome ..
The abridged version is that Phil Hardy was one of 2 makers who were licensed to produce the Bernard Overton design - Colin Goldie was the other. At a certain point Phil chose to part with the design and go his own way, Colin chose to persist with the original design and ethic. Some agree with Phil's aproach, some agree with Colin's. There are a few whistles out there that were produced by Phil while he was still licensed to use the name.

One thing is for sure - By the time Phil was using the NR head configuration as shown in the pics - it was called a Chieftain.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
arnie

Post by arnie »

MTGuru wrote:
arnie wrote:I do not understand the confusion
Well, not all whistle buyers have detailed knowlege of the history of whistle morphology.

When your vendor hands you an instrument for purchase and tells you that it is X when it isn't, it's hardly fair to blame the customer. Yes, caveat emptor. But it's the seller's business to know what they are selling, especially when the problem has a history that can be researched.

Of course, in this case, it looks like Leahcim ended up with a good whistle at a good price. :thumbsup:
You're right MtGuru, I don't blame the customer, but a seller should know better.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I can't tell if it's a Chieftain, because I've only had one or two come through here and that was some years ago. That said, over the years I have seen whistles that looked very vaguely life Overtons or Chieftains that weren't made by Colin, Bernard, of Phil Hardy. These were made by people who made brief entries into the whistle-making biz and then vanished.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Mitch wrote:Yes, very much looks like the Chieftain NR .. BUT - the slide looks to be retro-fitted. I've never seen an NR Chieftain with that polished line towards the top of the slide-outer.
That's my thinking as well. Here's a photo of a tunable Chieftain:
http://tradschool.com/components/com_vi ... 5ec9de.jpg

The logical course would be to send either this topic link or the photos to Phil Hardy and see what he says. I recently contacted him to get the name of the tune he plays in the Oz Vambrance review video and he responded straight away.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

It's not an Overton. I would return it and tell the store owner to quit their false advertising.
/Bloomfield
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Mitch wrote:At a certain point Phil chose to part with the design and go his own way.

This is not quite right and to put the record straight in this case Bernard Overton made that decision for Phil when he took the licence away from him in 1998.

Leahcim I am glad you like the whistle even though it is not what you paid for.

Colin