Possible New Forum?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bowjest
antispam: No

Possible New Forum?

Post by bowjest »

Hello to all,

I've been thinking about some of the recent posts about not a lot going on on this forum in the month of August and had an idea on the way to work this morning: how about if a new forum were set up where those among us who repair or make flutes did a sort of running log of projects?

It would ideally include before and after pictures (of repairs) or "Here's what the wood looks like at the start" and then capture the various stages of construction. It wouldn't have to be War and Peace as far as the text goes - just enough to help inform, educate, and entertain.

What say ye all?
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Possible New Forum?

Post by maracirac »

such forum already exist as flutemakers forum, where you able to put pictures of your flute making project or reparing some of forum folders.
marin
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Can you post the adress of the flutemakers forum? Thanks!
Ron
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

bowjest

Post by bowjest »

maracirac wrote:such forum already exist as flutemakers forum, where you able to put pictures of your flute making project or reparing of your flute IN some of forum folders.
marin
I was thinking of a forum here at Chiff & Fipple. :)

That way we continue the fine tradition of C & F being a "one stop shop" of reliable information easily accessable by all.
Tony Dixon 3-piece
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

bowjest wrote:reliable information
Ha!
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

kkrell wrote:
bowjest wrote:reliable information
Ha!
Now, now!
Tony Dixon 3-piece
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:Ha!
kkrell wrote "Ha!" I'm sure of it. Absolutely reliable.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Nevertheless, I still reckon it would make a good forum. :)
Tony Dixon 3-piece
Denny

Post by Denny »

*snicker*
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Get a half-dozen or more makers to email and ask for it and we'll sure look at it.
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

bowjest wrote:Hello to all,

I've been thinking about some of the recent posts about not a lot going on on this forum in the month of August and had an idea on the way to work this morning: how about if a new forum were set up where those among us who repair or make flutes did a sort of running log of projects?

It would ideally include before and after pictures (of repairs) or "Here's what the wood looks like at the start" and then capture the various stages of construction. It wouldn't have to be War and Peace as far as the text goes - just enough to help inform, educate, and entertain.

What say ye all?
Probably no need to quote the original post, but I only recently figured out how to quote at all...now I'm just facinated with doing it.
Personally I think this is a superb idea. I imagine it would be a certain amount of extra work and effort for those people who have this kind of ability and the knowledge to go with it, but I am quite sure that any such contributions would be very gratefully soaked up by those of us who do not. It would also have the effect of making this particularly first class contributor go very quiet for long periods of time. Win win really....except for those who have to do the work.

Thanks.
Nate
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I think it would be a great idea to keep flute makers out of this site. Keep out good players, too - those who haven't already withdrawn on their own accord. They know something about flutes. They would speak with such authority that nobody would have anything to contribute. Habitual posters would be reduced to repeating such puerile questions as "Do I really need keys?" or "Is a Pratten really louder than a Nicholson?" or "What color are Matt Molloy's underpants?" People might start to practice the flute, rather than spend hours posting and arguing trivia, and they might then become good players, and hence withdraw from the forum.
And then there would be no site. No C&F. You see the problem.
Maintain, by all means, the current level of discourse.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I kind of lean the other way, JD. I say let's allow only flute makers and expert players and kick the rabble, beginners, casual players, and hoi polloi out. Makers can submit their best wares to our blue ribbon panel of experts for certification. Players can submit proof of All-Ireland or a CCE regional contest win. Or they can come to the annual Fleadh Chiff and audition for a place on the Chiffboard.

As for the newbies, fugeddaboutit. Now that I've gotten to the level I'm at, I'll be damned if I'm going to share what I know, or have any patience for their stupid newbie questions, misunderstandings, enthusiasms, repetitious ramblings and sometimes even willful ignorance. I'm much too good for that. I'd rather spend my valuable time slagging people on The Session, debating esoterica like the warts on Paddy Carty's fingers with elite players like me, and complaining about the Chiffboard. I might even play some music now and then.

And I'll bet you don't know the color of Mr. Molloy's undies either. So you're just covering up your embarrassment. :lol:

P.S. I'm not so sure you're living up the the "laconic" part of your description ...

P.P.S. To others: Ms. Delaney and I are friends, so don't take this banter for worse than it is. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Well, it's turning into a lively thread if nothing else.
Tony Dixon 3-piece