Matt Molloy's trousers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lazyleft
antispam: No

Matt Molloy's trousers

Post by lazyleft »

Back in England at this particular time of year there used to occur a much noticed and remarked upon phenomenon that.... NOTHING MUCH HAPPENED.... and if I remember correctly this was referred to by the 'media' as the silly season. People don't seem to start wars in August, politicians apparently remain faithful to their wives and countries, the economy does nothing drastically good or bad, psychopaths go for a rest and a suntan alongside of the scientists who have decided to take a break from groundbreaking research for awhile. Megastars are apparently reluctant to even die in August ( though I'm not too sure about Michael Jackson...was that July?).
I have sensed over the last little while that something similar is happening on this forum. Gone are the erudite revelations of esteemed flute makers, with their fancy software and measurements and theories on tone and a whole bunch of other stuff that I am personally not intellectually equipped to understand...but love to read regardless. Lacking are the 'newbies', ( amoungst whom I include myself) with their solemn questions about octave changes and their eager and almost pitiable acceptance of everything they are told. Gone are the great debates over turning in or turning out of the blow hole ( as I personally like to call it), and gone are the fights over nothing very much at all.
It is this last point that most disturbs me. Seems like there hasn't been a good scrap on here for the longest time. Nobody seems to want to say very much of anything unless it refers to Ebay or some kind of flute for sale. Somebody has to say something or .... this site will simply die of boredom.
Maybe it's the heat? Who knows. But I sense a definite lack of energy around here. Somebody needs to say something controversial just to get things happening. I realise this site and it's members are above mere scandal and have a serious and committed sense of mission. Sadly I do not. I am also sure that by now nobody is listening to anything I have to say anyway. But, as unpopular as it might make me, I am quite willing to be the catalyst that revives some lively debate on here. I am quite incapable of formulating a serious question about flute playing because I cannot play the flute.... but I was considered a snappy dresser at one time and so I feel I have earnt the right to comment that MATT MOLLOY WEARS FUNNY TROUSERS
I am quite sure that some one HAS to disagree with me.
Nate
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Matt Molloy's trousers

Post by MTGuru »

You said "blow hole". *Giggle*
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

You want a dust up?

Try this.

Ever since the PRoct forum was axed and the finger-in-the-ear-atheist-hater forum put in its place things just haven't been the same.

Its probably spilled over here finally and everyone is just afraid to say anything anymore.

There... we can count in minutes what I just wrote will stay put here... It is after all the Flute Forum and not a proper place for such talk. But there isn't any place for it so... well there you go.

:pint:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

MTGuru wrote:You said "blow hole". *Giggle*
Best part of the whale I hear tell.

Deep fried its rather like a doughnut.

Dolphin blowhole is the best.

You just catch a dolphin, cut it out and toss him/her back... I'm pretty sure they'll grow another back.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

Aanvil wrote:You want a dust up?

Try this.

Ever since the PRoct forum was axed and the finger-in-the-ear-atheist-hater forum put in its place things just haven't been the same.

Its probably spilled over here finally and everyone is just afraid to say anything anymore.

:pint:

Hmmmm, wasn't expecting anything quite like that. The most I was expecting was something like "Matt wears really nice trousers".
I feel quite incapable, as always, of adequately responding. I stick almost exclusively to the flute forum, with occasional sojourns over to the whistle forum. Had no idea there was an atheist hating forum. I wish someone had told me. I am quite sure however that Matt's trousies do not hate atheists. Muslims perhaps, but that is just a rumour and of course Matt is not responsible for the views held by his articles of clothing, no matter how they might assist him with his tone.

I was an atheist myself for a long time. Back in the Roman Church now of course. I am as passionate now about my Catholic beliefs as I once was about my atheistic creed, and of course before that about my original but immature Christian belief. I don't know if there is any atheist hating going on in another forum. If there is then obviously that's wrong. A person with passionate beliefs is always admirable.
To bring this back on track with the nature of this forum, I am quite sure there is not and never has been a great flute player who has not had passionate beliefs about SOMETHING. How could you even be bothered to play if there is no passion and as such really no personality to begin with?
But then what do I know....? other than Matt Molloy wears funny trousers.....which he does and I can prove it.
Nate
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

lazyleft wrote: But then what do I know....? other than Matt Molloy wears funny trousers.....which he does and I can prove it.
OK then, mister. Enough of the fancy talking. Show ... us ... the ... pants!!

lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

MTGuru wrote:OK then, mister. Enough of the fancy talking. Show ... us ... the ... pants!!
I have no idea what his pants look like. Nor do I care to find out. In fact I am also quite sure that Mr.Molloy has never been photographed in his pants. He too is a Catholic as far as I am aware and would never allow such a thing. His trousers however are quite a different matter. You may remember that it is his trousers that were the original topic of this thread. I would have thought that a moderator of all people would want to stick to the matter at hand rather than go off on a tangent and start making enquiries about a famous flute players underwear.

Nate

P.S. I have a source who is reasonably sure that he can supply photos of Fintan Vallelly minus his trousers if that is the kind of thing you seek. P.M me. It may cost. Told it will be worth it though. How much you got?

P.P.S. Hell ...why don't you guys just kick me off of here for good?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

lazyleft wrote:
MTGuru wrote:OK then, mister. Enough of the fancy talking. Show ... us ... the ... pants!!
I have no idea what his pants look like. Nor do I care to find out.
I wasn't aware that Canadians made such a nice sartorial distinction. In fact, I have serious doubts that they wear pants or trousers at all. Mostly beaver and sealskin loincloths, I think. Except in NS, where kilts au naturel are the rule. Don't they teach you anything up there?
lazyleft wrote:P.S. I have a source who is reasonably sure that he can supply photos of Fintan Vallelly minus his trousers if that is the kind of thing you seek. P.M me. It may cost. Told it will be worth it though. How much you got?
Nah, who needs a stinkin' photo? His trousers themselves may be worth something, though. Especially when he comes looking for them. I can ransom them for an out of print copy of Blooming Meadows, that I passed up in a Dublin bookstore 10 years ago.
lazyleft wrote:P.P.S. Hell ...why don't you guys just kick me off of here for good?
I'm thinking ... thinking ...

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:
lazyleft wrote:
I have no idea what his pants look like. Nor do I care to find out.
I wasn't aware that Canadians made such a nice sartorial distinction. In fact, I have serious doubts that they wear pants or trousers at all. Mostly beaver and sealskin loincloths, I think. Except in NS, where kilts au naturel are the rule. Don't they teach you anything up there?
Of course wear pants! Where else would we hide the hakapik?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

May be there is not much more to say about wooden flutes but some news. Thousands of threads have been developed here along the years, that´s a lot of stuff.
Cheers.
drewr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drewr »

As for the general apathy among forum posts lately, I thought EXACTLY the same thing, which is why I attempted to post MP3 links to a Chris Norman / Conal O'Grada concert I attended this summer. It was a decent recording of a remarkable performance, which I'd attended alone and really wanted to banter with others about. I figured it would give us all something a bit different to listen to and, of equal importance, something to really discuss here on the board for a change. Unfortunately my post was not met with appreciation (which I'd expected) but accusation. This post had been pre-approved by the moderators, and I used their help to remove it after rather negative comments made me second-guess posting it in the first place. Oh, well, I tried.

I tend to agree with Aanvil that typical responses on the forum lately tend to limit free discussion. Some people really have to lighten up a bit.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Aanvil wrote:everyone is just afraid to say anything anymore
ANYTHING!!!

afraid, Shirley?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sarah Palin is my favorite flute-player.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, but are her trousers funny?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

... actually, thinking about it, they'd probably be cut on the bias, wouldn't they?