C.P. Now Available - Simple PVC Piccolos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bowjest
antispam: No

Re: C.P. Now Available - Simple PVC Piccolos

Post by bowjest »

I had the great pleasure of Jem dropping by to see me yesterday to patiently explain a wealth of knowledge about simple system flutes and I had a chance to play not only some of his great restored instruments, but also one of these piccolos.

I think they're great. Easy to sound and very clear and strong. If you're looking for a good all-rounder piccolo, this would be the one.
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:What are you doing responding? You're supposed to be on holiday. I'm supposed to be able to impugn you with impunity.
Obviously my visit infected you with my predilection for petty word-play! Ha! Serves you right!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Taminka

Post by Taminka »

My little "Jem" (all mine have names) arrived this morning all the way across the sea to Ozzie-land.
It is so light and easy to play and amazingly loud. Unfortunately I don't sound like our Jem on the demo vid! -but it gives me something to work towards.
I'm looking forward to getting to know it.
Thanks for the fast service Jem.
Taminka
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Out of curiosity, is it possible to make a piccolo that is not louder than a whistle ? Are our lips too big or something ?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

In my opinion, a piccolo can have dynamics that a whistle does not. There are ways to change the base line volume (like embouchure size, finger hole size, and bore diameter) but I would think a good piccolo should be able to play louder and more quietly than a whistle with a similar body.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:In my opinion, a piccolo can have dynamics that a whistle does not. There are ways to change the base line volume (like embouchure size, finger hole size, and bore diameter) but I would think a good piccolo should be able to play louder and more quietly than a whistle with a similar body.
You are quite correct, IMO. And these can (I can't, yet, but that's not the picc's fault.)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

In my experience, if you can play softly, you can play loudly. The opposite is not true. Embouchure control seems to be everything and is needed to balance out the volume of the first, second and third registers.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

That's right. I should have been clearer. On Small (the name of my new Jem picc :-)), I can play loud and, after having it for a couple of days, I can play soft some of the time, but by no means all.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Oh, I understood, I remember starting out on the fife that my second octave was out of control. Loud, shrill, and brute force blowing (not that that is what you are doing). When I started to pinch down my embouchure (for lack of a better term) then I was able to control the volume of the second register and reach the third octave.

Strange isn't it, it seems flute players want power and volume, and the short fluters have the opposite issue.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

david_h wrote:Out of curiosity, is it possible to make a piccolo that is not louder than a whistle ? Are our lips too big or something ?
I.D.10.t has more or less answered. No, it has nothing to do with our lips as such. A transverse flute's directly blown embouchure (hole and human lips) is both a more efficient and more controllable mechanism than any fipple flute can have with its fixed windway. Design does make some difference on a transverse flute, limiting the maximum volume a particular player may achieve, but anyone with a modicum of embouchure technique can play very softly and still be in tune. It doesn't matter what kind of whistle you have or what volume it produces at its most responsive breath pressure, if you blow softer it goes flat/drops 8ve and if you blow harder it goes sharp/goes up the 8ve. You can work hard on whistle design to get a loud-playing one, sure, but transverse flutes you can make fairly crudely (will cause other problems!) and they will have a good dynamic range and with a pick-it-up-&-blow approach will naturally be louder than most whistles unless so badly made they don't sound properly.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

david_h wrote:Out of curiosity, is it possible to make a piccolo that is not louder than a whistle ? Are our lips too big or something ?
The whole point of piccolo is to play it so loudly that those around you will do what you want... :twisted:

I've ordered one with the end goal of aquiring a 250cc SYM or Piaggio Scooter. I think I've got a very good chance because my wife truly dislikes high pitched instruments. If Jem's picc doesn't work, I'll have to order a set of highland pipes...

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Jayhawk wrote:
The whole point of piccolo is to play it so loudly that those around you will do what you want... :twisted:

I've ordered one with the end goal of aquiring a 250cc SYM or Piaggio Scooter. I think I've got a very good chance because my wife truly dislikes high pitched instruments. If Jem's picc doesn't work, I'll have to order a set of highland pipes...

Eric
Remember, this piccolo goes to 3rd register A. Blasting the "The Moreen", or better yet "The Minstrel Boy" starting on the second register you shouldn't be able to be drowned out by a piper, and high notes cut through walls like butter. No escape. Also, practicing in passenger seat of a car while she is driving has great acoustics (something I doubt you can do with pipes).

That scooter is as good as yours (if your wife doesn't kill you).
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

I find my Healy Piccolo the easiest to control!

I can play it very quietly and sweetly. :) But I can also play it louder than my ears can stand. :twisted:

The Healy has a Boehm type bore.

However I am continually gaining more control over my conically bored piccolos.

My wife came home the other week while I was playing an old Sweetheart Eb piccolo (Sweet by name and tone). Then she lavished me with great praise, "That's nice, what are you playing." :love:

That's much better than when I got my first Burns Rudall and went down to the basement to try it out. When I returned topside, I asked my wife if she liked it? "Oh, Yes that was wonderful, I didn't hear it at all!" :swear:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sillydill wrote:I find my Healy Piccolo the easiest to control!
Dang, that tells me a lot about my playing. I have a Bb that (no doubt) has the same embouchure cut. The "sweet spot" seems to be a mile wide compared to the round embouchure that I prefer. I have never been able to play the second octave soft without going flat. Guess I'll be dusting it off and practicing on it tonight.
~~~~~~~~~~

As a side note, well actually this will be in line with the thread, simple system piccolos in D are kind of rare. Unlike the D penny whistle, there isn't 100+ makers. I cannot think of anyone that makes one close to this price. I think the sound clips speak for them self, jemtheflute is able to go from low D to 3rd register A keeping an even volume to my ears. Impressive.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just a note to everyone with currently outstanding orders who has not been notified of despatch: I have had a computer crisis (hard drive partial failure and impending death!) and was also away most of last week, hence poor or no communications - my apologies - I hope no-one has been too worried or inconvenienced. I spent the first half of this week working hard on new stock with my son Fran's help as I was also nearly sold out. I've now nearly rescued the computer situation (including the documents to print the bumf I put with the piccolos!) enough to get back on track, and I hope to be sending out all outstanding orders by Tuesday at the latest. I'll send individual notifications. Thanks for your patience everyone.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums