Flute FS on EBAY: No Bargain!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Irish Marine
antispam: No

Flute FS on EBAY: No Bargain!

Post by Irish Marine »

Thought I'd show this link after the recent threads on the overpriced RRC on EBAY. This one is only US$ 10,000!!! :boggle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-8-Keyed-Flute- ... 365wt_1167

Where in the world are these prices coming from? They're outrageous. At least for me, anyway!
Denny

Re: Flute FS on EBAY: No Bargain!

Post by Denny »

ugly thing, innit!

*whimper*
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

It's cheap advertising- the seller has no intention of giving E-Bay a share of his (or her) profits. It is after all subject to prior sale in the store at whatever the "real" price is. There is more than one flute listed by this seller for $10,000.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

That long F key looks incredibly short. I wonder how it's supposed to be used - my pinky certainly won't reach it!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

They could be getting their 5 free eBay monthly listings out of the way (associated with higher fees) for an item that can't possibly (?) sell, to make way for their regular listings at the lower fees.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

It's $10,000USD on their web site, too.

http://earlymusicalinstruments.com/
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Gabriel wrote:That long F key looks incredibly short. I wonder how it's supposed to be used - my pinky certainly won't reach it!
Indeed, most odd. That's presumably the key that is described as a later replacement. It appears to be of the pointed cup variety, whereas the rest of the keys are saltspoons. It also appears to be of later design, such as you'd see on a Hawkes or similar, yet the touch bends up rather than down as you'd expect on a Nicholson flute. A crude attempt at making the replacement look appropriate?

I think that would bring the price below US $10,000 for me!

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Wow! What a gorgeous piece of box! Though, IMHO, the trademark Clementi-Prowse-Nicholson combed decorative turning rather spoils it. I reckon the replacement long F is bespoke designed for a player who wanted to turn the R hand section significantly outwards - it makes sense/falls under the L4 finger OK then. Lovely flute, though not particularly large holed for a Nicholson. I have a Wolf & Figg flute with just such a long F key, quite original. Odd really, as Nicholson advocated turning the lower body joint out, but objected to the long F! Compromises, compromises!

Speculating for a moment, if the replacement key is not modern, it could even account for the loss of the original..... say a second owner, or even the first owner subsequent to purchase but circumstantially with no access back to Clementi/Prowse decided they wanted to adopt a rolled out R Hand posture, and thus needed the inverted touch, had a new key made, stored and subsequently mislaid the original.... or maybe had the silver melted down to make the new key.....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I don't have a problem with the bend up of the Long F - most Nicholson's I've seen have a bend up (presumably to allow the RH to be turned outwards bt still give access to the key touch). But look at the length of the key. Normally the Long F key touch comes to rest on the G# hinge block when depressed - this one falls miles short of it. I can't see how anyone could use that key!

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Fair point! Perhaps it was pinched from an F flute? (unusual to find one with sterling keys, though....) Or the player had giant hands......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

In which case he's going to have some problems pushing the far-too-close G#! Yeah, an F flute looks about the size of that key. Could easily be silver plated to keep up appearances.

Terry