Ouch

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Ouch

Post by s1m0n »

After a sudden trip to ER, a couple of shots of morph*ne, the same again of dilaud*d, and a CT scan of my privates, the puzzled med student and his boss the ER doc decided that I must have passed a g*ll stone I didn't know I had, and sent me home. All I can say is "Ouch". And feel half proud and half foolish that I had described the pain as a 7, which meant I had to go on feeling it for another hour or so. If I'd said 10, the way everyone else (apparrently) does, they'd have broken out the morph*ne a lot sooner. And welcome it would have been, let me tell you.

But what I walked out at 4:30 a.m. thinking was that last evening was a really good night to be Canadian. If I was from Seattle rather than Vancouver, I'd have been without insurance since the non-profit I've been working for succumbed to the economic climate a few months back, which means that I'd have had to decide last night at about 11:30 or so whether it was hurting bad enough yet to be worth destroying my credit rating, or not.

*A no doubt vain attempt to fool google so we don't get spammed endlessly with online pharm*cy ads.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Ouch

Post by mutepointe »

It's the morphine talking. Why would you want socialized health care just so that the old people in your life who probably already receive socialized health care but don't seem to acknowledge this will have to live in fear that the government agent is going to come kill them next because you've used up their ration of health care.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Glad you are feeling b*tt*r!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Oooowwwoooooooooooooooooch!

Glad you had the option to get it taken care of. Hope I don't face that 'need but cannot afford healthcare' sitch again soon. It stinks!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Oooooh, I'm truly feeling with Ya... :(
However - I would like sooo much to discuss this subject further... So many good points pro general&free health care in my mind, so many nice&nasty remarks against it's opponents... But, well - this is not proctology... Ooooh, it's itching so much... :P
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Ouch, how awful. I hope you are recovering quickly.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Glad it all worked out for you. :poke:

(all kidding aside, I am glad that you are feeling better- I'm told gall stones are no fun)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, dear! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad you're ok. Kidney stones are miserable on the way out. Next time, remember they're rated at a "10." Always.
Cotelette d'Agneau
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

:sniffle:

Ouch indeed.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Just think of poor old Pepys, who, after he had his kidney-stones cut out of him, celebrated the surgeon with a good dinner on the anniversary of the occasion for the rest of his life.

Good to know you are better, Simon.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
tansy

Post by tansy »

gal stones = a prefect 10
glad that's over for ye Simon
shy the blond water
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:*A no doubt vain attempt to fool google so we don't get spammed endlessly with online pharm*cy ads.
So far, so good. As I write this the banner ad is flogging whistles and helicopter balloons, whatever those are.

I have heard of these horrid little things called gallstones. Also so far, so good.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

eeekkkk You poor little thing. Glad it's over for you
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I'm glad you're feeling better, Simon.

My wife just went through a similar ordeal with a trip to ER and an overnight stay in the hospital. With chest pains they treated her for a possible heart attack first, and the surgical procedure where they pass a small camera through a vein into the heart turned out negative. More tests and finally surgery to remove the gall stones. The bill for what I have just described was over $40,000. I am thankful that we had insurance that paid the complete bill except for our small copayment. However, my wife didn't have health insurance until just a few months before the gall stone incident. It would have been a financial disaster for us to have had to cover the expenses with our retirement savings.

My wife tells me of similar times in her life when she did not have health insurance. She laid in bed with severe pain, thinking all the time that she was going to die. She felt that she couldn't afford to go to the emergency room for treatment. The fact that so many people in this rich country are in a similar situation is a shameful reminder of just how far we have to go to create a life-affirming society.
dwest

Post by dwest »

So ya didn't even get an ERCP with pictures to show us, huh? See that's the problem with socialized medicine, no good pictures.