Lost/Stolen Olwell flute - Found!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
melanoxylon
antispam: No

Lost/Stolen Olwell flute - Found!

Post by melanoxylon »

Well, I had a great time at the Catskills festival this July, but my own personal 6-key cocus flute went missing on the last evening. There's some chance it was lifted out of my car... It is my deluxe model of flawless cocus with 6 keys and hand-turned rings. The tone holes on the right hand are flattened like a Thomas Prowse flute, and the endcap features a disc of mother-of-pearl and an ivory ball. It was in a Northwind case and a leather case cover, and had my info written on the inside of the case. There is a reward for it's safe return, thanks for any help on this, Patrick Olwell :-?
(Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony, please come around, there's something lost that must be found...)
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Lost/Stolen Olwell flute

Post by Akiba »

If there is any justice in the world, it shall be returned...sorry to hear about the loss.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

melanoxylon wrote:Well, I had a great time at the Catskills festival this July, but my own personal 6-key cocus flute went missing on the last evening. There's some chance it was lifted out of my car... It is my deluxe model of flawless cocus with 6 keys and hand-turned rings. The tone holes on the right hand are flattened like a Thomas Prowse flute, and the endcap features a disc of mother-of-pearl and an ivory ball. It was in a Northwind case and a leather case cover, and had my info written on the inside of the case. There is a reward for it's safe return, thanks for any help on this, Patrick Olwell :-?
(Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony, please come around, there's something lost that must be found...)

Dammit, Patrick, I'm sorry to hear about that. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Gordon
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Wow. That's terrible. I'm so sorry Patrick.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

You have my sympathy and I really hope that you get your flute back. I think this is possible as from your description it's a very distinctive looking flute. I'll keep my eye out in this part of the world anyway. Let's hope for the best, that someone will find your flute, or recognise it if it turns up for sale somewhere.
I've posted your message on the irtrad-l list and thesession.org website
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

That's a bummer :cry: but hey, look on the bright side ... you won't have to wait for several years for a replacement!!! :)
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Flutered wrote:That's a bummer :cry: but hey, look on the bright side ... you won't have to wait for several years for a replacement!!! :)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Steampacket wrote:... Let's hope for the best, that someone will find your flute, or recognise it if it turns up for sale somewhere.
I...
or if someone turns up playing it somewhere. I wonder if a picture of it would help.

That's pretty sick.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

mahanpots wrote:Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Boy, that takes me back a few decades. I love reading the quotes in people's sigs.

Patrick, I hope your flute turns up. It is a flute of rare beauty.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Achill

Post by Achill »

So sorry to hear that news Patrick. I'll keep my eyes open and put out the word here in Central/Western New York.
I'm thinking that Karma is going to have to have a talking to with this thief...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

God, that's awful. I'm so sorry. We'll BOLO in Kentucky and its surrounds.

(yeah, and it being Kentucky we'll probably be armed ;-) )
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cathy Wilde wrote:(yeah, and it being Kentucky we'll probably be armed ;-) )
I should hope so. It's rather difficult to play a flute if you don't have arms. Legs, however, are optional.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
joshD

Post by joshD »

This flute is so different with the Ivory cap and the flat right hand body. Pat was staying at the house with us the week this happened. I saw the flute and trust me, it sticks out. :o I have a good feeling that it is going to turn up! :thumbsup:
dave shapiro

Post by dave shapiro »

That sucks. I'll keep an eye out for it round here anyway.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Is there a picture that could posted in this thread? It would be a shame to see and not recognize it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde