Mothballing my Breedlove

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
johnmcochran
antispam: No

Mothballing my Breedlove

Post by johnmcochran »

Hi, all. Hope this isn't too far off topic for this forum:

I have a Breedlove acoustic electric that I no longer play ... I've tried but failed to sell it at a reasonable price, so I'm looking at storing it here at the house long-term. (I'm astounded by how poorly, it seems, this guitar has held its value ... but that's another story.)

My question is this: Any tips for keeping a guitar (or other stringed instrument) in good condition while in storage, unplayed? I'm assuming I should take the strings off ... Any tips?

Thanks!
JC
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Mothballing my Breedlove

Post by MTGuru »

johnmcochran wrote:I'm assuming I should take the strings off
Noooooo! :o :-)

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65922
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yes that's right. Well, I mean no, don't remove the strings unless you also loosen the truss rod. The resultant pressure from the truss rod can cause back bow in the neck. Strings and truss rods counterbalance each other's forces.

Give a nice cleaning, secure it snuggly in its case, and store it in a place in your home where you would live yourself. Not in the heat of the attic, the damp of the basemant, the drafts of the shed, nor right over or next to a heater, and you'll be just fine. Check it from time to time to assure that humidity changes aren't affecting anything, and that the 'wee beasties' haven't invaded the case.

BTW, I'm also surprised you hadn't sold it, given a fair price. Times are bad, but Breedloves are good.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
johnmcochran

Post by johnmcochran »

Thanks for saving me from myself, all.

And yep, I was surprised about the Breedlove as well. It's an AD25/SM. Cost me $800 new about three years ago at House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park. It's still in "like new" shape. HMT offered me $250 cash for it or $300 store credit.

I offered it on eBay in a package with a Crate acoustic amp and case etc. The top bid for everything -- guitar, amp, soft case, cord, which probably cost $950 or so all told -- was $301.

Phew ...
JC
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

One thing you can do, John, is throw a nice new set of strings on it and tune it back up to pitch before putting it away. Residual finger oils and acids can do a job on a set of played strings over time. I've grubbed up at least one bone nut in the past by making this mistake.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

And since you mentioned a soft case (like a gigbag?) you'll want to be sure it doesn't end up with something leaning against it for a long time or falling on it.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Some people's skin is much more acidic than others. People who play stringed instruments often know already which category they're in, because unless they're using coated strings like Elixirs they have to change strings a lot more often than other musicians do.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

johnmcochran wrote:And yep, I was surprised about the Breedlove as well. It's an AD25/SM. Cost me $800 new about three years ago at House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park. It's still in "like new" shape. HMT offered me $250 cash for it or $300 store credit.

I offered it on eBay in a package with a Crate acoustic amp and case etc. The top bid for everything -- guitar, amp, soft case, cord, which probably cost $950 or so all told -- was $301.
Ouch. Rough economy. Are you storing it because
you're hoping the economy will improve and thus
the resale? Might be a good plan...
johnmcochran

Post by johnmcochran »

[/quote]
Ouch. Rough economy. Are you storing it because
you're hoping the economy will improve and thus
the resale? Might be a good plan...[/quote]

Yep. Or maybe one of my kids will decide to take up guitar at some point ...
JC
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

Usually,the worst deal you can ever make on a musical instrument is to sell or trade it to a music store. For the store to turn a profit, they have to buy as low as possible. They're not there to help you minimize your losses but to maximize their gains.

Also, if you really want to deal with the store as a convenience ( and understand that is part of what you're paying for with a low buy out price), do yourself a favor and clean the piece up, re-string and polish it, make it look like something someone would want to buy. All these things have to be done by the store if you don't do it, and that takes time and someone has to be paid to do it. You're in a poor bargaining position if your item looks like a piece of undesireable crap.

I'm not saying this is the case with the original poster, but as someone who works in a music store I see this all the time. I'm the one who has to vacuum the mouse turds out of someone's case and buff out encrusted human effluvia from the finish when they can't be bothered and then can't understand why we don't offer them the price at which we're going to attempt to sell it. If you think the store is screwing you, put a classified ad up and then deal with some idiot in your house for an hour who can't play, has no conception of personal hygiene, a 6th grade vocabulary and only wants to pay half of your "firm" price. Not dealing with those people is part of what you're "paying" for selling to a store.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Now I'm afraid to check to see whether my Breedlove mando has held its value.
It was not their cheaper model....
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

johnmcochran wrote: It's an AD25/SM. Cost me $800 new about three years ago at House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park. It's still in "like new" shape. HMT offered me $250 cash for it or $300 store credit.
Of course, if you paid $800 for it, it might have listed for $1000 or so. Assuming a standard markup and no special deal, HMT probably paid around half of that, or $500. Half of THAT is probably a standard trade-in offer, since they can always get a new one that's still backed by Breedlove's warranty and should be entirely spotless. Cheers,

Rob
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

My daughter bought a very lightly used Breedlove concert acoustic electric at Guitar Center in December. It originally listed for $799 & was half off that and then she had a $50 coupon, so her price was $350 plus tax. That's the type of thing you are competing with. She loves the guitar though....