O.T. Cornbread discovery!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Well, as you ask...please bear in mind that these are approximate measures in the best hand-me-down recipe tradition.

Put your #5 cast iron skillet into a 400 degree F oven (or 450--just say "hot") with 1/4 cup melted shortening or oil (or lard).

While that's getting dangerously hot, mix
1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal (my preference)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (sort of insurance)
1/2 tsp salt (at least)

Pour in the hot shortening. It should make a very satisfying sizzle.

Sprinkle a little dry meal in the bottom of the pan (assuming you want to get the cornbread out of the pan).

Pour in the batter. Cook at whatever hot temperature you've chosen until it's brown (20-25 minutes).

A half recipe will fit a #3 skillet very nicely (don't try to half the egg--just use a whole egg).

If you've got a pone pan, cut the heat back to 375 degrees and cook 15-18 minutes.

<b>USE ALL PRECAUTIONS HANDLING HOT PANS!</b> I'm not kidding.

Be safe. Eat well.

M

[edited because I should have been in bed an hour and a half ago and can't think clearly]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2003-01-22 23:17 ]</font>
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

We got so hungry for cornbread, with all this breadtalk, we went down and bought a quick-mix. We're eating it and sipping buttermilk right now! This would never pass as the real thing from grandma's recipe, but I'd call it:
NEXT TO PERFECT CORNBREAD IN 5 MINUTES
It looks exactly like the pic above, is light, moist, and cakey, yet crunchy and nutty. The secret to making these quick-mixes like the real thing is to add lots of "fine ground cornmeal" to the mix. We put the castiron skillet on a range-top to puff it up (takes about 3-4 min), and transfer immediately to oven and broil (2" from upper burner) till golden brown. Spray with "better than butter" (or use real butter) and spread a very thin layer of honey across the top.

For an alternative: Add grated cheese and use beer to the mix instead of water or milk - very tasty!
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Thanks, M--I had to get that one before I could go to bed...night night!

Robin
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Recipes, but first...

Selkie: Corn (maize or "Indian corn") contains virtually no gluten, so you should be able to eat cornbread no problem IF it's not also made with wheat flour. That's the big "if," however. You may be able to substitute soy flour or rice flour for the wheat flour and still get good results, as gluten isn't necessary for this kind of quickbread.

OK, recipes:

TAMALE PIE

Crust:

2 1/2 cups cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal

Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat. Cook until thick and rather stiff (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Set aside 3/4 cups of cornmeal mixture. Line sides and bottom of greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with remainder.

Filling:

1 15 oz. can chili (or 1 3/4 cups leftover homemade chili)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup cream-style corn
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheese in saucepan over medium heat and heat through. Pour over cornmeal crust in casserole dish. Top with rounded spoonsful of reserved cornmeal mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.

MEXICAN CORNBREAD

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg or egg substitute
1 cup milk or soy milk
1 cup cream-style corn
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
2 Tablespoons diced mild green chilies
2 Tablespoons chopped pimiento
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or substitute

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Beat egg and milk together; add creamed corn, and set aside. Saute onion, chilies and pimiento in butter or margarine until tender. Add sauteed vegies, milk mixture and shredded cheese to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Pour into well-greased 8" square pan. Bake at 400 F 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

CREOLE HOPPIN' JOHN

6-serving portion quick-cooking brown rice
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup chopped onion
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups ripe, juicy tomatoes, diced, plus 1/4 cup water (or 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 16-oz. can black eye peas, drained and rinsed.
Dash liquid smoke (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Cook rice following package directions.

Heat the oil in large skillet. Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute until onion is golden. Add tomatoes and herbs (and liquid smoke, if desired) and cook for about 5 minutes to blend flavors.

Combine tomato mixure, rice, and black eye peas in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Optional variation: Add sausage or vegetarian sausage to make a sort of Jambalaya.

Enjoy!

Redwolf
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-22 23:07, mvhplank wrote:

Put your #5 cast iron skillet into a 400 degree F oven (or 450--just say "hot") with 1/4 cup melted shortening or oil (or lard).

While that's getting dangerously hot, mix
1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal (my preference)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (sort of insurance)
1/2 tsp salt (at least)

Pour in the hot shortening. It should make a very satisfying sizzle.

Sprinkle a little dry meal in the bottom of the pan (assuming you want to get the cornbread out of the pan).

Pour in the batter. Cook at whatever hot temperature you've chosen until it's brown (20-25 minutes).

A half recipe will fit a #3 skillet very nicely (don't try to half the egg--just use a whole egg).

If you've got a pone pan, cut the heat back to 375 degrees and cook 15-18 minutes.

<b>USE ALL PRECAUTIONS HANDLING HOT PANS!</b> I'm not kidding.
Yes, that's the correct recipe, I think. Though white meal will certainly work too.
Reasonable person
Walden
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I AM GETTING SOOOOOOOooooo HUNGRY!!!

On Monday ( my shopping day) I will be picking up all above ingredience, then stopping at Mom's and "Liberating" one of the old family cast Iron frying pans (shhhhh, she might me listening...)

In the mean time, I think my New years resolution is for Steve and I to visit everyone on the board to sample their cornbread, black eyed peas and grits (what is that?)

Now where to start, Marguerite's first, then over to Redwolf's, Walden's, Robin's, Cees's...

Now, back to the issue at hand...The recipe for sweet Cornbread!! I know, I know it is an abomination, unorthrodox, unconstitutional and just plain wrong to make cornbread sweet...I get that, but as a Canadian, I don't know any better!

Let me baske in my ignorance with a lump of sickly sweet cornbread in one hand, buttered white regular cornbread in the other and a pot of chilli, grits and black eyed peas simmering on the stove!!!

Really, hungry Elf.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-22 08:06, chas wrote:

hush puppies (corn meal batter deep fried).
My grandmothers usually added onions to the cornbread batter if they were going to make hushpuppies, I think.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-23 02:49, Sandy Jasper wrote:
black eyed peas and grits (what is that?)
Grits are made from hominy which, in turn, is made from corn. Anyone who is desperate for grits must really be suffering a fit of nostaliga. They're not good. They're not bad. Blah. Pablum has more character. Don't confuse hominy grits with the Harmony Grits which is a barbershop quartet made up of Canadian Liberal Party members.

Steve
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

This is how I know cornbread to be :smile:

1. with full corns, oats and carrot pieces
2. with full corns and pumpkin seeds

yum hmmmmmmm......

edit for P.S.
Tom, I will take you up on the offer to try the American cornbread, do you have them in the freezer to keep fresh or do you bake it yourself?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2003-01-23 05:57 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-23 05:06, Goldie wrote:
This is how I know cornbread to be :smile:

1. with full corns, oats and carrot pieces
2. with full corns and pumpkin seeds

yum hmmmmmmm......
That does look good. A different animal altogether, but looks tasty. Can you give us a link to a recipe?
Reasonable person
Walden
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-23 04:56, SteveK wrote:
On 2003-01-23 02:49, Sandy Jasper wrote:
black eyed peas and grits (what is that?)
Grits are made from hominy which, in turn, is made from corn. Anyone who is desperate for grits must really be suffering a fit of nostaliga. They're not good. They're not bad. Blah. Pablum has more character. Don't confuse hominy grits with the Harmony Grits which is a barbershop quartet made up of Canadian Liberal Party members.

Steve
Well...I'd call it more of an acquired taste. Taken with no seasoning, they're amazingly tasteless, but I'm fond of them with salt and butter. (Mashed potatoes has the same problem--they're not interesting with no seasoning.)

Hominy has the outer hull of the kernel removed. I have never, despite my mother's best efforts, learned to like them.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

5-corn-bread

100 g of barley grains
100 g of wheat grains
100 g of oats grains
100 g of rye grains
100 g of millet grains
1litre water
500 g wheat full grain flour
2 ts baking enzyme (e.g. Sekowa)
2 ts salt
50 g sesame seeds
50 g flax seed
5 tb oil
500 ml water

All grains need good washing under warm water, if necessary select the dodgy looking ones out. Cook in 1 litre water on smallest heat for about 20 minutes. The water which is left over you pour off and let it all cool down completely.

Mix the grains with the flour, baking enzyme and salt. Add the sesame with the flax seeds and the oil and warm water and make it to a a damp paste, knead. Then leave it for about 2 hours at a warm place "to go". Normally you would wrap it in a clean cotton cloth to stop it drying out.

Preheat the baking-oven on 170 degrees. Put it into a box shaped baking form and cover with an aluminium foil. Now 40 minutes baking. Then heat the baking-oven to 220 degrees and bake another 40 minutes. Then take the foil off and bake for another 30 minutes.

Take the bread out of the form, leave it under a cloth to cool down. When fully cold you can start cutting slices off.

Not quite the 25 min.-job of the American corn bread I have seen so far :wink: but it is worth it and the bread stored well lasts for over a week.

For the German speakers, here it is in German

100 g Gerstenkoerner
100 g Weizenkoerner
100 g Haferkoerner
100 g Roggenkoerner
100 g Hirsekoerner
1 l Wasser
500 g Weizenvollkornmehl
2 ts Backferment (z.B. Sekowa)
2 ts Salz
50 g Sesam
50 g Leinsamen
5 tb Oel
500 ml Wasser

Alle Koerner gruendlich unter warmen Wasser waschen, notfalls auslesen.
Mit 1 Liter Wasser auf kleinster Stufe 20 Minuten kochen. Falls das Wasser nicht ganz aufgesogen ist, abgiessen und voellig abkuehlen lassen.

Die erkalteten Koerner mit dem Mehl, Backferment und Salz mischen.
Sesam mit den Leinsamen und dem Oel dazugeben und mit warmen Wasser zu einem feuchten Teig kneten. Etwa 2 Stunden an einem warmen Ort gehen lassen.

Backofen auf 170 Grad vorheizen. Teig in eine grobe Kastenform fuellen und mit Alufolie abdecken. 40 Minuten backen. Anschliessend den Backofen auf 220 Grad aufheizen und weitere 40 Minuten backen. Danach Folie abnehmen und noch einmal 30 Minuten backen.

Brot herausnehmen und unter einem Tuch auskuehlen lassen. Erst in kaltem Zustand anschneiden.

I hope the ts and tb is understandable for all of you as I only know ts for teaspoon and I think tb is tablespoon??? Maybe someone can clarify this as the oil is essential for the texture of the bread. This is quite a long process but the bread is absolutely delicious, luckily we can buy this and others in the local bakery :smile:

Source: http://kochbuch.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/Bin/kategorie?Brot
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Goldie,
I think you are confusing the German word Korn and the American word corn. In N America the word "corn" is used exclusively to refer to maize, while, if I am not mistaken, the German word "Korn" refers to the kernel of any grain. So, for example, "voll Korn brot" would be translated to English as "whole grain bread". Of course, that doesn't make your bread recipe any less appetizing. Thanks for posting it.
Mike
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Goldie, I think I see...

You are using "corn" to mean grain. If you make the American cornmeal recipes here, you will need to use cornmeal; I think in Europe they call it maize, but again that's not the same thing as maize here.

Your recipe sounds great, though!

Robin
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Right on about the European / American Corn confusion (it doesn't get much easier when talking about Maize though :smile: )

So yes, Brigitte's recipe is for 'whole-grain bread' but German style. Good stuff.

To prevent more EU/US confuzzlement: The degrees referred to are Centigrade!