We're finalists!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

We're finalists!

Post by brewerpaul »

A couple of weeks ago, I entered Charlene and myself in a "How We Met" contest in the Albany Times Union, and we're one of three finalist couples! I sent them a 300 word essay-- extra short version: I sold her a bass recorder on eBay and we fell in love. Yesterday, the finalists went to the newspaper and they did a short video of us and took still photos. These will be posted next Thurs, at which time the public can pick their favorite. The winner will be announced at a Philadelphia Orchestra concert at their summer home at Saratoga Performing Arts Center. The winner also gets some really nice goodies including a 7 course wine pairing dinner here:http://dalemillerrestaurant.com/index.php

I'll be posting the URL for the voting when it's announced, and would appreciate everyone's support. We're thrilled, naturally
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Pammy

Re: We're finalists!

Post by Pammy »

I will definitely vote for you but what is a wine pairing dinner, aren't you already a pair?
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Well, let's see your essay.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

mutepointe wrote:Well, let's see your essay.
Let me guess.
It starts with, "In the beginning ..."
It ends with, "I just knew that she was the one for me".
Seriously, congratulations.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

mutepointe wrote:Well, let's see your essay.
Voila!

Ours was an Internet meeting, but not in the “chatroom” sense. 10 years ago, I put a large bass recorder that I was no longer playing up for auction on eBay. One bidder from nearly 600 miles away in Michigan had several questions about the instrument. I answered them and she ended up buying the recorder. End of story, right? Wrong.
Over the next few months we exchanged casual messages but neither of us were surfing the Web for romance and neither of us saw each other as potential romantic interests.
One day while I was online, Charlene greeted me on Instant Messenger and we started chatting. Three hours passed in a flash. We chatted about EVERYTHING—music, our unhappy relationships, our families: you name it and we talked about it. Clearly, something very special was happening.
We continued communicating via the Internet, and soon by phone. Before long we had fallen totally in love.
Each of us had friends who thought we were crazy to pursue this romance, but by this time we both knew that we simply had to meet, or wonder for the rest of our lives if we had let true love pass us by.
Charlene flew out to Albany and the moment she stepped off the plane, we both had the strongest feeling that she was coming back home, not just visiting for the first time.
The visit was a dream. A highlight was when we played recorder duets together—you can’t fake that kind of musical connection, which normally takes a long time to achieve.
Three weeks later, Charlene moved to the Capital District and we began our life together.
Ten years have passed, and it still gets better every day. The bass recorder hangs in a place of honor in our living room.
Got wood?
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D Image :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Sweet. Too bad we'll never know how many people will get confused by what kind of fishing device a bass recorder is.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas

Post by chas »

Congratulations, Paul. I remember when you first told me the story of how you and Charlene met, I thought it was really cool.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cool indeed! Congratulations, once again, to two great folks!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

..But is the prize worth the cost of having to publicly admit to r*c*rdering?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

:love:

Congrats and good luck!

Lesley and Ro
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

mutepointe wrote:Sweet. Too bad we'll never know how many people will get confused by what kind of fishing device a bass recorder is.
They took some video and still pics of us to post on voting day,and some of the stills have us holding the bass recorder so all confusion should be minimal.
OTOH, the recorder is long enough to use as a sort of fishing pole... :D
Got wood?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pammy wrote:I will definitely vote for you but what is a wine pairing dinner, aren't you already a pair?
I believe that would be pairing wine with food to best advantage for both. I've heard tell of the arcane art.

(I took the liberty of making a minor edit in your quote of me, Paul, as you posted just as I was making a change to mine immediately above this parenthetical bit. :) )
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nanohedron wrote:
Pammy wrote:I will definitely vote for you but what is a wine pairing dinner, aren't you already a pair?
I believe that would be pairing wine with food to best advantage for both. I've heard tell of the arcane art.
I hope to have the chance to report back about that art.
I like wine, but am not terribly sophisticated about it. I've had $9.00 bottles of wine (for the big size) that I really enjoyed and can't conceive of spending the amounts I see quoted on restaurant wine lists. This would be a great education, although perhaps I'm best off NOT knowing.
Got wood?