Rust?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Soineanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Soineanta »

I happened to glance up into the tube of my Clarke Sweetone the other day, and saw some sort of reddish brown stuff opposite the holes. I looked through the holes and saw the same stuff all the way up the tube. Yikes! I tried washing it out with water, giving it a nice bubble bath.. but the stuff didn't come out. I'm now convinced it's rust. Which is odd, because the piece of paper which came with the whistle specifically said it shouldn't rust. Also, I store the whistle on a homemade wooden peg, which you'd think would absorb any leftover moisture inside.
I've noticed the tone has been a little more raspy than usual lately, though that could be for any number of reasons. Still I want to prevent any more rust(?) from forming, and definitly would like to remove what's already there. What should I do?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

But but.. this was my first whistle.. I feel the duty to try to restore it to its former splendor! (Not that it was amazingly splendid to start out with, but shhhh.)
Any ideas besides replacing it? :smile:
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

OK, take some steel wool and rap it around a pencil or something and start scrubing. I think the culprit is your wooden dowl. It may obsorb some moisture but it also retains it and keeps a very nice rust home for the whistle. Its time for some tough love. When you are finished playing just through it in a tin can or something. It will thank you in the end. :smile:

Tom

PS You can always decorate the can
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Pull off the head and scrub out the barrel. (I use a shotgun cleaning rod for this.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ridseard on 2003-01-22 21:20 ]</font>
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Harrumph! Tin can, I don't think so.. thanks for the advice, though. :smile: I'll give it the royal treatment tomorrow. Maybe I'll even tweak it up a bit..
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Maybe you can borrow Ridseard's shotgun :smile:)
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

On 2003-01-22 23:21, Paul Reid wrote:
Maybe you can borrow Ridseard's shotgun :smile:)
The shotgun will certainly eliminate a raspy tone. We had a bantam rooster and a couple of hens which escaped and became so wild that they couldn't be caught. The rooster would greet the sunrise on a tree limb outside our bedroom window with the most raspy noise imaginable. One day I came home from work and noticed that my shotgun was displaced from its usual position in the cabinet. To make a long story short, thanks to my wife I was never again awakened by the raspy crowing of a bantam. The same method should work for a raspy whistle.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

My Sweetone has displayed EXACTLY the same symptoms. "Raspy" hits it on the nose. I've put it aside completely. I'm glad you mentioned this, I was wondering if I had toxic spit or something!

Cara
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I think the seam running down the inside of the Clarke whistles helps to trap moisture in the barrel. It's all to do with molecular surface tension, or something.

Spit, or breath vapour, is stickier than water, and even if you flush out the barrel with water you'll still get some drops retained inside.

I agree with Tom, I think the wooden dowel is helping trap & keep the inside moisture, promoting rust. Of course, tin doesn't rust, so there must be an iron content in the metal.

When you finish playing, better to let the whistle lie somewhere to dry before putting it back on its storage peg.
rbm

Post by rbm »

The clarks sweetone isn't made of tin is it? I always thought they were made of thin steel sheet which was painted or plated depending on finish ( a red one is painted etc etc)
if you wire wool the inside it will rust a whole heap faster next time!

I would clean off the surface rust with a bit of cloth around a stick and maybe spray the inside with sillicon spray - trying to keep it off the mouth parts!!
you could repaint it but its don't always work well - spoils tone etc.

well thats my tuppenceworth
richard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbm on 2003-01-23 06:50 ]</font>
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Tin is a soft metal, almost like lead. The only thing it's used for much anymore is metal toothpaste tubes (I believe that's the soft metal they're made of; correct me if I'm wrong). To my eye, Clark whistles appear to be made of steel sheet metal, same as "tin" cans nowadays, which also aren't tin either. Hence, they can rust.

Best wishes,
Jerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-01-23 06:53 ]</font>
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

Phosphoric Acid will remove rust. Either go to the hardware store and buy some (which may cost you as much as the whistle did, but hey there's the sentimental value), or pop open a can of Coke - it's more dilute, but with enough time will remove the rust and passivate the surface, lessening the tendancy for rust to re-form.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Thanks for all the input guys.. and no, I am not going to shoot the poor thing, I think I may be able to save it yet.
Coke will remove rust, eh? Brings to mind the question, what must it do to one's body...
Thanks again for all the help. :smile:

-Sara, who doesn't drink soda.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

Considering that you are pouring it into a container that is full of concentrated Hydrchloric Acid (your stomach), it doesn't do much.