OT: anxiety, interview, knitting machine

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

WHoooooooooooooooo!

Okay, so this does come around to being on topic....what do you do in between waiting for three seperate interviews in a brand new waiting room that doesn't have lighting no less magazines.....

you practice you fingering technique on the lower half of a two-piece whistle

Interviews went from reasonably good to very well indeed. I would LOVE this job...data wrangling for a research group that studies brain images in schizophrenia patients. The head of the department likes Irish music and liked that I was reasonably conversant in neuropsychology, mining data in 5+ dimensions, and had read Luria, Tufte and Sacks' books.

I should know within 10 days....

M, I do hope it goes as well with you!

BTW, I wouldn't want to have seen ANY of these guys in their underwear....or a toga!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I bought one of those (knitting machines) for my wife about 5 years (a Knit King), we haven't got around to mastering it yet.
We did try to make a few patterns using the punch cards, nifty. It's neccessary to buy knitting machine yarn, the yarn has wax in it and helps lubricate it with the system. Using plain yarns that are hand waxed can jam the machine easily - which can be time consuming to unjam. Once you get the tension right it sails. Oh, you need to invest in a winder for the yarn, especially if you take something back apart that you're not happy with.
And one more thing, in the needle bed there is a bar that has foam on it and it presses against the needles - this thing requires replacement after many uses - make sure that the one that you have is in good shape before knitting. (Note: Machines other than Knit King might work differently).
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

You didn't say what kind of knitting machine you have. I have a Bond and I love it. Here are some pictures of some of my projects.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Vall ... tting.html
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-22 18:11, tyghress wrote:
[snip] The head of the department likes Irish music and liked that I was reasonably conversant in neuropsychology, mining data in 5+ dimensions, and had read Luria, Tufte and Sacks' books.

I should know within 10 days....

M, I do hope it goes as well with you!
Hooray for you! I don't know Luria or Tufte, but I'm a big fan of Sacks, so you're already aces in my book.

Some of my bosses seem to be making it up as they go along, but my main supervisor won't let my quest be forgotten.

Good luck and put a coin under your Buddha. (That's what I'm doing, anyway :grin:)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Dakota, that's EXACTLY the machine I got! There is something about an upgrade to the Ultimate Incredible Knitting Machine, but I figure I'll get those whistle cosies made now. Hey, I know who to go to for help!

Margurite, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. Now I'm through the first issue, I need to 1, get the offer, 2 negotiate the transfer, 3 manage the fact that I have to get my vacation transferred with me. . .

But oh, wouldn't it be nice to be OUT of the business of business and into the business of research?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Didn't get the job, but the knitting machine arrived, and I already did one little tiny project...just the initial square to learn how to set the critter up, and I have to say it is a LOAD of fun. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a knitted project, but doesn't want to physically knit.

This is "The Incredible Bond Knitting Machine" and it took me one hour to set it up, knit a 50 stitch by 50 row block, cast off the ends, disassemble the machine and stash it away. AWESOME! Dakotamouse, I think I need some help, though.

As with whistles, the first test is of course love at first swatch, so we'll see what I think of the critter in a month or so!

Jorge Luis Borges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2003-01-31 20:52 ]</font>
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

There are a number of things I love about my knitting machine. First is stitch consistancy. I have a terrible time keeping the tension correct by hand. Secondly, I'm not sure how to put this. I feel more creative. I'm able to get the designs in my head into yarn more quickly.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

It seems a bit odd to resurrect this thread after so long...

<i>"So, why?" you ask.</i>

The "salary adjustment" I mentioned came through. No change in job title, alas, but the raise was quite generous.

I'm going to take all the good-luck money I've been putting under the plaster Buddha and give it to the local place that helps women make the transition from prison back into society.

Thanks for all your good wishes--I'm sure they helped!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Way to go, Marguerite! you deserve it!
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Congratulations Marguerite! Great news!

Cheers,
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

First learn to relax!

Edited to remove the picture of Joan sitting comfortably in her recliner knitting. I tried twice to get it to come up. I guess it wasn't to be..or see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2003-02-16 00:20 ]</font>