Humours

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
okewhistle

Humours

Post by okewhistle »

Have just been playing "The Humours of Lisheen" and it struck me to ask if anyone knows what "humours" means. There are one or two tunes I play that have the word in the title, including "Humours of Ballyloughlin"; one of my favourites.

Any other favourite humours? Are they always jigs?
rhulsey
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Humours

Post by rhulsey »

Seems I've read a thread or two about this very thing more than once, who knows. As I recall, I came to the conclusion that it means "the good things about..."

I'll be interested to see what others come up with!

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Well it's in the dictionary:

humor > Latin humor, moisture, fluid
1 any fluid of an animal or plant esp any of the four fluids (cardinal humours) formerly considered responsible for health and disposition
2 a person's disposition or temperament; a mood, state of mind

and I've always assumed that "humour" was simply being used in the sense of "state", "aspect", or "characteristic" in these tune titles.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

I've been told it means Memories
eg. 'Humors of Tullycrine', 'Memories of Tullycrine'
Happiness is taking things as they are.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Somebody told me it meant "mists," as in foggy mists.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'll be glad to add another theory without attribution. :) The Irish word "fonn" can mean either humour or melody. Could the title have once been something like "Fonn dar Tullycrine" and have been mistranslated?
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's a great question. O'Neill uses "sugra" (súgradh) to translate "humours", while Breathnach (CRE) uses mostly "pléaráca" or sometimes "siamsa". Breathnach also uses "súgradh" to translate "frolics".

súgradh = frolic, fun, play
pléaráca = romp, revelry, uproar
siamsa = amusement, entertainment, leisure
fonn = enthusiasm, humour, melody, tune, mood

Including fonn, all these words carry the meaning and connotation of: frolic fun, amusement, romp, play, entertainment. So the basic sense of "humours" is simply: a fun tune played for entertainment that will have people frolicking and dancing.

A parallel might be French "divertissement" and Italian "divertimento" applied to amusing dance-like melodies.

It's a meaning of "humours" that has mostly fallen out of use in English, except in the more specific sense of something that makes us laugh, a "sense of humour".
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Why would that meaning of humour have specific meaning to the tune? Very few tune names are descriptors. Humours of Tulla would mean basically "Good times in Tulla". Sure, it might be descriptive of the specific tune, but does it have to be?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

No, I suppose it doesn't have to be. But it doesn't have to not be either.

Some tune name formulas clearly are self-referential. Most obviously "[place] Jig", "Reel of [place]", etc. Or "[person]'s Fancy / Favourite / Delight". "Humours of [place]" strikes me as the corresponding formula for place names: a (fun) tune favored in or associated with [place], at least according to the tune namer.

But it could be just a generic "Fun in [place]", too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

I thought it was a Greek dip.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I can't comment on the gaelic derivation, but in English, the term comes from the classical greek physician Hippocrites (of the Hippocratic oath) via the writing of Galen, a second century Roman.

To these guys, there were four 'humours', which consisted of four fluids the body contains - blood, phlegm, and Yellow and black bile. Each was associated with certain character types and emotions, and the cause of illness was these getting out of balance. This is the theoretical underpinning of the medical 'treatment' of bleeding patients, for instance. We still have a bunch of terms relating to emotions which were derived from this - bilious, choleric, melancholic, sanguine ('bloody'), etc. Somehow, the term 'humour' came to be narrowed down until it became the term for amusement, despite the fact that properly speaking all four of these and the diverse traits they associated with are all properly known as humours.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I suppose I should have looked here first, but the Oxford English Dictionary lists one (obsolete) definition of humour as:

transf. Character, style, ‘vein’; sentiment, spirit (of a writing, musical composition, etc.).
1599 Broughton's Lett. iv. 14 Of the like Lunaticall humour are your epistles. 1674 PLAYFORD Skill Mus. I. xi. 40 The understanding of the conceit and the humour of the words. 1686 Lond. Gaz. No. 2119/4 Several Overtures or Sonatta's, containing Variety of Humors, as Grave Aires, Minuetts, Borees, &c. 1717 tr. Frezier's Voy. 256 The Bass is made in France, to the Humour of the Harp.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

The Rumours of Rosslare
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Denny

Post by Denny »

hoopy mike wrote:I thought it was a Greek dip.
it was until the Romans got a hold of it
s1m0n wrote:I can't comment on the gaelic derivation, but in English, the term comes from the classical greek physician Hippocrites (of the Hippocratic oath) via the writing of Galen, a second century Roman.