OT: anxiety, interview, knitting machine

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Today I'm going for an interview for a new job, and I'm a bit nervous. I have a job, and though I don't like much of it, it pays the bills and (obviously) buys the whistles. But there is always that desire to find something better, more rewarding intellectually and less frustrating.

I think the anxiety started sometime ago, and my natural inclination is to acquire things. Stash up against the storm, as it were. I pulled out and played four whistles yesterday, and that did make me feel better.

I also did a foolish thing and got a manually driven knitting machine on eBay. Has anyone had experience with these things? I'm NOT a knitter, and don't want to do anything fancy, but the idea of producing a knitted/felted whistle cosy has driven me to distraction, but holding kneedles (my word) gets me wondering why I'm not holding whistles instead, or a book. The only thing I do regularly that I like less is go to the gym. So I saw knitting machine. I bid. I won. Maybe I'll make afghans too. Or scarves.

Anyway, think of me today, especially 4-6pm ET.

thanks,
T
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tyg,

When you're in the interview, just imagine the interviewers are in their underwear.

It's supposed to help, though I'm not sure how. Just don't make it sexy underwear, could be a bit distracting.

Best of luck, all body parts crossed for you! Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
rbm

Post by rbm »

All the best for the interview,

when I got made redundant from one of my defence jobs the ran courses on interview skills, they reckon the most important thing was showing you were relaxed and selfconfident, don't cross your arms or legs and let you hands rest on your lap... well thats what they said and in my 18 years of work I spent 3 days unemployed!
good luck
Richard.
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Oh, my--very, very best of luck.

My best interview was for my current job. My future boss and I spent most of the time talking about our aging horses. She never called my references, either. I'll have been there five years in February.

Think of me, too, 'cause I'm in the midst of negotiating a promotion and raise based in increased work and responsibility.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

I hate to add to your anxiety Tyg.

My mom bought one of those knitting machines years ago. She never figured it out. And so it sits in a corner of the storage room collecting dust. I believe, and I could be mistaken, it also came with a video. She can crochet.

Laura
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Huge, deep, cleansing breaths will help with the nervousness today.

I'll be thinking of you. Good luck!

Jim
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Good luck, Tygh: You'll do very well. Think of it this way: As much as they are interviewing you, you are interviewing them to see if what they have to offer you will be worth it for you. Find out about the job and the poeple and see if it's right for. You're skilled & experienced, and you want to interview them to see if it would suit you.

And I'll see you afterwards! :smile:
/Bloomfield
Fun4Bambi

Post by Fun4Bambi »

Hey, I can top Martin's suggest...imagine the interviewer in a toga that just came off you knitting machine!
I got a vintage knitting machine off ebay for Christmas...but it needs some restoring. Hope yourscomes with instructions & ready to go out of the box. You'll get those knitted whistle cozies, yet, I think.
Proud Cross Fippler
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Give em hell!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Tyghress, sending the very smoothest job interview energy I can muster! :smile: I'm sure it will go well!!

Keep us posted...

Andrea ~*~
TomB

Post by TomB »

Many positive thoughts and vibes coming your way.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

tyghress,

Best wishes and good Luck!

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Good luck Tyghress. I bet they need you more than you need them. Just don't make that *too* obvious. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2003-01-22 11:22 ]</font>
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

On 2003-01-22 07:35, mvhplank wrote:
Think of me, too, 'cause I'm in the midst of negotiating a promotion and raise based in increased work and responsibility.
M
Best of Luck to you too M.

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-22 11:22, chattiekathy wrote:

Best of Luck to you too M.

Kathy
Oops. I meant to say that too. Oh look. I just did.