[Chiffers (smartfolk)]+lame-o writer=good advice∴why not?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

[Chiffers (smartfolk)]+lame-o writer=good advice∴why not?

Post by emmline »

The other thing that I do is write unmarketable fiction. Roughly aimed at 9-13 year olds.
One book I self-published a few years ago. Two more have never seen book form. They live in a file-folder, and on a flash-drive. This is hard to admit to because, statistically speaking, unpublished fiction has a high probability of being crappy (at least from an objective analysis of subjective opinions.)
One actually came close to being picked up by 2 different actual editors, but no dice. A fourth is in progress.

Still, I'd rather die as someone who failed to achieve publishing than die a person who didn't keep trying. But, in the meantime, written works hate sitting around unavailable for reading.

Hence, I am playing with the idea of putting them online, in serial form, on maybe a subset of my personal blog. Not that this will generate a massive audience, but perhaps 20 people will read them instead of 3. Or something. You never know. Available is better than stuck on a shelf.

I believe I can copyright them via online services. (The self-published one is already copyrighted.) And then perhaps set up a Creative Commons type of license to delineate allowable uses. And then create a site, linked to my blog, for serialization.

The biggest benefit, to me, will be that I will then be able to carry on with the work-in-progress without the niggling nasty feeling that it has nowhere to go, even it it's a lame somewhere to go. It's hard to dedicate oneself to creative endeavors which have no end outlet.

Don't tell me to do something else. I'm too stubborn. And life parameters, for now, limit my scope of influence to that which I can do here and disseminate from here. Pretty much.

edit: Ha. I can't spell copyright.
Last edited by emmline on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: [Chiffers (smartfolk)]+lame-o writer=good advice∴why not?

Post by BillChin »

By all means go for it. Maybe also find out how to make Kindle versions available at Amazon. Most Kindle books have the first chapter free, then $10 for the rest of the book. You might actually sell a small number going that route, though not many 9-13 year olds have Kindles at the moment.

Plenty of writers write with no one to read their completed works. There is the November Internet group that writes a novel in a month, with tens of thousands of participants. Most of those find tiny audiences, mostly within the group of writers. Maybe five or ten get a wider audience. These days, even the top publishers give close to zero money to first time authors.

A few Chiffers will no doubt read some of your stuff. Even, my songs and tunes get a limited audience here, even though most Chiffers don't care for the kind of music that I do (most opt for the polite no-comment).

There are in-person as well as online writers groups for people to share and critique, but reading a few pages isn't the same as having time for the entire work.

Finally, I suggest dumping the "lame-o writer" tag. Self talk can be an important part of the creative act. Good luck.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote: Don't tell me to do something else. I'm too stubborn. And life parameters, for now, limit my scope of influence to that which I can do here and disseminate from here. Pretty much.
A Big Ball of anger floating around there Emily....

It ain't good for ye...

Many here among us know the recent trial you've been through and the one you have in front.

Ye were dealt a bad hand, no doubt, but if anyone can play that hand...it's you.

I mentioned before, somewhere, that when it all goes back to normal..normal changes.

You are one of the most clever, charming and witty-Jeez, just had a weird phone call from Dublin- women I know...

Keep the Faith...

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:
emmline wrote: Don't tell me to do something else. I'm too stubborn. And life parameters, for now, limit my scope of influence to that which I can do here and disseminate from here. Pretty much.
A Big Ball of anger floating around there Emily....
Oh no...that's not too angry. It's just foot-stamping. Then it all blows away. Don't worry!
BillChin wrote:Finally, I suggest dumping the "lame-o writer" tag. Self talk can be an important part of the creative act.
Indeed. There's a balance between "lame-o" and taking oneself too seriously. I'm so careful about not being guilty of the one, that I veer in the direction of the other. But you're right.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I know the US has a weird thing about registering copyright, but in most places it's automatic. Here in Canada, if I can prove that wrote something, I automatically assumed to own the rights to it, even if I haven't included the date and the copyright symbol [ © ].

If I'm writing as part of my day job, for instance as a salaried journalist, it's my employer who is presumed the owner. I can also assign (sell) my copyright to someone, but the onus is on that person to prove that I have done so.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

ps: I'd love to see something you've written.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Go for it! Trust me, some pretty ... no...actually... some really crappy writing gets a lot of reading online, so your i-can't-imagine-it-being-bad writing ought to net some readership. There are many writing communities that might be good spots to put them. I know I'd put on my 11-14 glasses and read it. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Another vote for getting it out there. It's a form of publishing which builds your self-image as a writer.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Go for it! How about contacting someplace like Fictionwise.com for ebook distribution? They are a great site and have a "free ebook" section too, which has some nice stuff in it.

I am a proud owner of an Emmline book :D

(Edited to add - I just checked out Fictionwise's terms and sadly they only accept authors with ten previously published works. This is good news for you in a way, because I have read some absolute rubbish on there.)
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
missy

Post by missy »

publish in an ebook form (I have a Sony, not a Kindle) and I'm in.

As for rubbish - I have one word for rubbish in that age category:

Goosebumps

'nuff said. And that trash made it on the Accelerated Reader list.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

s1m0n wrote:ps: I'd love to see something you've written.
Ditto-- you're definitely an interesting sounding woman, and I'd love to see what you've done.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

s1m0n wrote:I know the US has a weird thing about registering copyright, but in most places it's automatic. Here in Canada, if I can prove that wrote something, I automatically assumed to own the rights to it, even if I haven't included the date and the copyright symbol [ © ].
Here's what the U.S. Copyright Office says:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Look at lulu.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Dale wrote:Look at lulu.com
Yow. eBooks are free.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Don't be to quick to mark a designated age on your readership.
Just say "aimed at younger readers". How far do you think the Harry Potter books would have got if they had been labelled "9-13"? They even put adult-style bookcovers on them, for heaven's sake! Same with Pullman's Dark Materials.
And Gulliver's Travels? That was NEVER a children's book, although that's how they market it these days.

Well, all I can say is that I enjoyed the book of yours that I read.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!