St Patricks Day...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Re: St Patricks Day...

Post by Charlene »

We took a picnic lunch out to one of the local lakes on the 4th. I waded in the lake, my husband and daughter paddled around in an inlatable boat, my MIL sat in the shade and watched us. It was hot so it only took about 20 minutes for me to get in the water up to my waist! :lol: And my MIL only required 2 layers of clothing in the 90 degree weather. Afterwards we took our daughter back into town since she had to work, then my husband and MIL and I went shopping at a thrift store, where she bought presents for her great-grandkids. Had supper at home then went down to Riverfront Park and got our eardrums blasted out by the Spokane Jazz Orchestra who had the volume turned up to rock band level. Then fireworks, then met our daughter and went home.

On Sunday we drove to Grand Coulee Dam in the afternoon, took the tour, which would have been more interesting if we could have gone into the powerhouse, but the elevator is broken. Ate, looked around the visitor center for a few hours until the laser show at 10pm, drove home, and got in about 12:30.

Today my husband and daughter have to work, I have my regular day off so I get to put away all the stuff we used over the last couple of days.
Charlene
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

My orchestra did our (pretty much) usual outdoor pre-fireworks concert. The best part was listening to our principal trumpet play the soft passages on "Lincoln Portrait." His playing is always inspiring but it's amazing the way really fine players can sometimes find a level you barely knew existed. The worst part was the annual sop to the strings of playing "Stars and Stripes" in D/G; the original is in Eb/Ab. We don't ask them to take the Borodin 2nd down a half step so it's in a better key for us. :wink: The oddest thing is playing the "1812 Overture" every year on the Fourth of July. Sure, it's loud, but the French were our allies during the Revolution. It seems a bit tacky to play a piece that celebrates them getting their butts kicked. :)
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fearfaoin wrote:Why would that be strange? The abolitionist connection?
Well, it was written long after the Revolutionary war (1858 hymn "My Brother Will You Meet Me"). The tune (in any song form) has nothing to do with independence or really the nation. Becoming "John Brown's Body" it was a Union marching song* (later becoming the "Battle Hymn of the Republic") during a time that the united states was fighting itself. It just seemed to me to be an unconnected odd choice for a tune more attached to a different time period. I would find it equally odd if "Tramp, Tramp, Tramp" was being played.

*Some southerners still seem to have an issue with the song.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:Well, it was written long after the Revolutionary war (1858 hymn "My Brother Will You Meet Me"). The tune (in any song form) has nothing to do with independence or really the nation. Becoming "John Brown's Body" it was a Union marching song* (later becoming the "Battle Hymn of the Republic") during a time that the united states was fighting itself. It just seemed to me to be an unconnected odd choice for a tune more attached to a different time period.
Hm. Good point. I suppose a case could be made
that preserving the Union could be lumped in with
creating it, celebration-wise. But I suppose it is a
bit of an anacronysm.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Strangely patriotic... a guy playing "The Star Spangled
Banner" on an electric violin made from a baseball bat:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/0 ... anner.html
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

izzarina wrote:Just so you know, it was an UGLY plaid skirt. I never would have picked it out....the band was not known for it's fashion sense :P
Well, let's pray there wasn't much of it!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

s1m0n wrote:
izzarina wrote:Just so you know, it was an UGLY plaid skirt. I never would have picked it out....the band was not known for it's fashion sense :P
There wasn't...but I'm not sure that was a good thing :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Went to the primitive weapons demo at Hueston Woods State Park I had been planning for the last 6 months. Atlatls and Blowguns this year. The first half of the day went just fine. Then the rain came and never left. Then the day sucked.

My 3.5 year old son Xavier loved playing with his new blowgun.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

No mention here because Procto forum is closed. Were it open, and holiday was subject, we'd get a lecture from a certain fellow about disgusting flag-wavin' and how could we celebrate when we oppressed nearly everybody.

For me? Quiet, with the folks on family ranch, nursing a weird summer cold. It's doesn't feel very much like Independence Day considering the bizarre crap being proposed in Washington.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

izzarina wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
There wasn't...but I'm not sure that was a good thing :P
Nonetheless, I'm prepared to look beyond it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

The Weekenders wrote:No mention here because Procto forum is closed. Were it open, and holiday was subject, we'd get a lecture from a certain fellow about disgusting flag-wavin' and how could we celebrate when we oppressed nearly everybody.

For me? Quiet, with the folks on family ranch, nursing a weird summer cold. It's doesn't feel very much like Independence Day considering the bizarre crap being proposed in Washington.
Well Weekenders, in liu of steve

disgusting right wing flag waving and how could you celebrate when you oppressed nearly everybody

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Denny

Post by Denny »

thank you :D that's so much better
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

s1m0n wrote: Nonetheless, I'm prepared to look beyond it.
That shouldn't be too hard!

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

fearfaoin wrote:Strangely patriotic... a guy playing "The Star Spangled
Banner" on an electric violin made from a baseball bat:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/0 ... anner.html
Seriously, people, I'm talking a Baseball Bat Violin here!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

izzarina wrote:
cowtime wrote::lol: I saw the title of this thread and thought I'd gone into some kinda time warp or completely lost it, or a combination of the two.
Well, you know he did that on purpose :P He's so weird.

I kind of miss playing all the Sousa stuff. I loved to play "Stars and Stripes Forever" on my flute. I doubt I'd even remember how to do it now! :lol: But I don't miss marching in those wool uniforms from the 1950's, complete with those huge band hats...do you know what I'm talking about? Like the guard in London wear? Yeah, those. We wore that stuff in July. Until I quit flute, and had to wear a cheerleader uniform to carry the flag. A little plaid skirt with a sweater. That was actually worse :P

Oh the things that pop into my head at random times....

:lol:
The best part of the whole concert was our tuba player who played the piccolo part- really- he did, and it was unbelievably impressive!

I remember those awful uniforms we had to wear, but I held out for playing- the director begged me to be the drum major and I told him-" I'm not freezin' my rear end off up prancin' around up there". I am still happy with that decision. :P
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West