My story : French man in Dublin

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sacrenouille
antispam: No

My story : French man in Dublin

Post by sacrenouille »

Hello there.

5 years ago I spent went for the first time to Dublin, for two weeks, for my job. At that time I didn't play irish flute (only harmonica). During my spare time I would merely listen to the musicians jamming in temple bar and that was nice. After that I would usually go and drink beer in the pubs.

Until that day when I arrived in a pub I had never been and asked the barman for a Carlsberg, with my typical french accent. The tall guy barely looked at me while washing a glass, pointing quickly his thumb back behind him to a plate reading "Guinness ONLY served here".

The thing is, I love beer, really, but I hate Guinness. Really. With a slow nod I was about to get out but before I turned my back the guy at last said a word : "want a glass of milk, boy ?". The guys around letting go with a brief laugh :)

Now that was becoming funny. I smiled. And I told myself "well, you've not been drinking Guinness for years now, maybe your taste has changed, and after all it's Ireland there, maybe Guinness's tasting even better, and if there's one place to find out, it's right there."

So I climbed the damn-so-high bar chair (I'm even smaller than the average french guy) : "ok, a pint of Guinness, please, mate." with a grin.

The guy served me a fresh guinness with a look respect as to my decision not to turn back, and I paid for it at once.

Then it became even funnier.

As soon as my lips came to contact with the thick dark and so weird tasting drink, I almost shared a tear : I knew at once, instantly, that my taste didn't change at all and that I wouldn't enjoy this as anyone wouldn't enjoy drinking melted asphalt (my appologies to all you Guinness fans around there, merely my opinion here! ^^).

Yet I couldn't escape anymore. There were now a half dozen irish guys looking back at me the lips stuck to my glass, flabbergasted as I was by my own decision to seal my disgrace. What would I do. I had to keep my honor safe and finish that damn tall glass down. I swear I stayed half an hour in this pub sucking slowly, little by little this so called beer, trying my best not to couch in disgust after each attempt.

When at last the glass was over and my pride intact, the barman came back "the same ?". So lost in my own thougts I just replied "Yes, quite." 'cause I was thinking "yes, it really taste the same as before and I don't like it at all."

Then the barman started serving another one and I realized what he meant and I just raised armed and beg him pardon, that I had to go.

I left the bar and swore I would never, ever drink guinness again.

End of the story. The more I think about this and the more hilarous I think it was... as long as you weren't in my shoes :)
Innocent Bystander

Re: My story : French man in Dublin

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chacun à son goût. :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ni moi non plus. Je n'aime pas le Guinness. A Harp, or a light lager I can drink. Go ahead, laugh. I like light, slightly fizzy beers with a mild bite.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

sacrenouille wrote:Hello there.

5 years ago I spent went for the first time to Dublin, for two weeks, for my job. At that time I didn't play irish flute (only harmonica). During my spare time I would merely listen to the musicians jamming in temple bar and that was nice. After that I would usually go and drink beer in the pubs.

Until that day when I arrived in a pub I had never been and asked the barman for a Carlsberg, with my typical french accent. The tall guy barely looked at me while washing a glass, pointing quickly his thumb back behind him to a plate reading "Guinness ONLY served here".

The thing is, I love beer, really, but I hate Guinness. Really. With a slow nod I was about to get out but before I turned my back the guy at last said a word : "want a glass of milk, boy ?". The guys around letting go with a brief laugh :)

Now that was becoming funny. I smiled. And I told myself "well, you've not been drinking Guinness for years now, maybe your taste has changed, and after all it's Ireland there, maybe Guinness's tasting even better, and if there's one place to find out, it's right there."

So I climbed the damn-so-high bar chair (I'm even smaller than the average french guy) : "ok, a pint of Guinness, please, mate." with a grin.

The guy served me a fresh guinness with a look respect as to my decision not to turn back, and I paid for it at once.

Then it became even funnier.

As soon as my lips came to contact with the thick dark and so weird tasting drink, I almost shared a tear : I knew at once, instantly, that my taste didn't change at all and that I wouldn't enjoy this as anyone wouldn't enjoy drinking melted asphalt (my appologies to all you Guinness fans around there, merely my opinion here! ^^).

Yet I couldn't escape anymore. There were now a half dozen irish guys looking back at me the lips stuck to my glass, flabbergasted as I was by my own decision to seal my disgrace. What would I do. I had to keep my honor safe and finish that damn tall glass down. I swear I stayed half an hour in this pub sucking slowly, little by little this so called beer, trying my best not to couch in disgust after each attempt.

When at last the glass was over and my pride intact, the barman came back "the same ?". So lost in my own thougts I just replied "Yes, quite." 'cause I was thinking "yes, it really taste the same as before and I don't like it at all."

Then the barman started serving another one and I realized what he meant and I just raised armed and beg him pardon, that I had to go.

I left the bar and swore I would never, ever drink guinness again.

End of the story. The more I think about this and the more hilarous I think it was... as long as you weren't in my shoes :)
:lol: :lol:

Temple Bar is probably the greatest rip off in Western Europe...

Twenty yards up the road you can have a drink in a real Dublin Pub..

In have never met a Noodle who uses Flabbergasted in a post.

The Guinness in Dublin is fine...so fine.

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, I don't know . . . Guinness makes a wonderful pot roast. :wink:
Cotelette d'Agneau
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

My girlfriend's brother was in Dublin recently and came back with tales of how expensive Temple Bar was. Can't believe anyone manages to get drunk at the prices they charge.
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

How munch a pint there ? I can't remember the prices when I was there years ago.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

chrisoff wrote:My girlfriend's brother was in Dublin recently and came back with tales of how expensive Temple Bar was. Can't believe anyone manages to get drunk at the prices they charge.

Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in Europe and Temple Bar is the most expensive part of Dublin.
It is a total tourist trap which claims to be the heart of Dublin. Twenty-five years ago it was just a collection of derelict buildings populated by junkies and whores and there was talk of building a Bus depot there but the logistics ruled that out. It started off with a few craft shops and eventually became Rip off Central. Dublin people avoid the place as much as possible.
Last year Mrs. D. who is English, wanted a drink in one of the Temple Bar pubs and it was just under ten euros for a pint of Guinness and a Bacardi Breezer...broke my heart I can tell ye.
A hundred yards or so away from Temple Bar is the Palace Bar, one of Dublins great delights. Get in there and go to the back room and sit on the very chairs that Behan, Kavanagh, Flann O'Brian and all that mob sat on...a lovely room with a stained glass skylight and not a Shamrock or Leprechaun in sight.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

So...no chance of getting a Pepsi at these places, eh?
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

If I ever return to Dublin, which place would you advise me to go/visit ?
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Cette histoire me rapelle une anecdote... I was in Dublin in 2000 and I visited the Guinness factory, another type of tourist trap... at the end, they gave coupons for two free Guinness pints... since I distaste Guinness so much, I offered my coupons to some random guy. He almost thought it was an offering from the Gods, raising is hands above is head in some sort of praise to the sky. I made some tourist happy, at least.
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

Another french speaker who distastes Guinness... a link ? :)
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I absolute love Guinness, but I am not Française, so I suppose it doesn't count (and yes, that will be the extent of my Français....ma Française est tres mal) ;) I think Guinness is an acquired taste for many. It's very dark and I know many people who just aren't fond of that. They'd much prefer something light and less hoppy (although I've never found Guinness to be all that hoppy). But you're not alone in your dislike :)

Dub, the next time I'm in Dublin, you'll have to be there to show me where the good pubs are. My brother just asked me yesterday why I didn't go to Foley's in Temple Bar (since it's my maiden name, it's apparently very important that I go there :P ). HE went, and I have a magnet on my fridge to prove it. I didn't even get to Temple Bar when we were there last year. So, anyway, I'm making you show me. I don't want to get stuck in some touristy ick place.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

For anyone who'd like to *acquire* a taste for guiness, you can creep up on the full Guiness experience by ordering a black & tan, which is usually half and half stout and ale.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:since it's my maiden name
yer not related to that lad the plays guitar for Dr. John are ya?