Famous encounters

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Pammy
antispam: No

Re: Famous encounters

Post by Pammy »

And thank you Nano, poor little mutepoint missed the point on this occasion. Must be the heat :)
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Denny

Post by Denny »

emmline wrote:I've gotten a pm from Nano. Woo.
Ha! So've I, he'll talk to anyone :wink:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote:
Pammy wrote:Did you know it was Bob Hope at the time?
Indeed, I did. He came back into the kitchen to give a wave to all the long-haired freaks cooking his dinner, possibly hoping that if he was congenial, we would not spit in his food.

I once delivered room service to a Pointer sister, too, but I don't know which one.

And the Phelpses and I go way back.
Long haired freak and Kansas cop in one person? That's going to take awhile to get my head around.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

mutepointe wrote:Just the other day I was in the grocery store and the cashier spoke to me. I was all cool about it and all you know.
Was she that Progressive Insurance babe because she's smokin!
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, if any of y'alls figger out that you met ME one time, let us know.

Do feel free to bask. :wink:
Just having you on this board is more awe inspiring than most people can handle.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Having been complimented on my fiddle playing by a oldish guy in Donegal many years back, I asked him if he played himself.
He smiled and said yes but he did not play Irish music.

It was shortly afterwards that I found out it was Yehudi Menhuin...

He looked different without the fiddle under his chin :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I once served Howard Johnson's (the son) dinner. He sat at the fountain counter. I did not know who he was, but was suspicious because the rest of the staff went into a panic when he came in and his steak was a good bit better than that offered on the menu.

He was quiet, but pleasant, and did tip appropriately.

One of my recollections of that summer includes vivid memories of the waitress handbook, circa 1955 treasure which required that we wear white underwear -- white panties, white brassiere, white full slip, and a white girdle with . . . I'm not making this up . . . attached garters to hold up our nylons. Upon being informed of this, I said I did not believe I would be able to comply with that requirement, due to the unavailability of both girdles and stockings. I wore pantyhose. Besides, who would know?

The female who hired me said company matrons would conduct surprise inspections during which female employees would be taken to the stock room and required to display their undergarments. Several waitresses confirmed that this had occurred to them. I believed this to be unconstitutional infringement upon both liberty and the pursuit of happiness, either of which would be impossible to achieve in a girdle, and decided to just take my chances with respect to a big equal-opportunity settlement.

The uniform required wear of a small apron, the ties of which were to be starched and formed into a perky bow, the sides of which were to be safety-pinned to the waistband. This was to prevent randy businessmen from playfully yanking the ends and ripping off the apron. The girdle was to prevent them from pinching one's backside. I thought that such randy apron-rippers and buttock-pinchers should be arrested, but HoJo feared loss of their apparently considerable business.

Mr. Johnson did not attempt to pinch or yank, but that may only have been because the fountain counter put my bow-bedecked behind too far away.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Ralph Stanley :)

that's the only famous person I've met- other than politicians and I don't put them in the same catagory
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I once met Billy Connolly at the Stonehaven Folk Festival. Snuck into the launch event while underage as we heard a rumour he was there. Managed to get a pint and grab a few minutes of his time for a quick chat about whatever my teenage mind could think of at the time, before we were spotted by some teachers who were there and had to make a sharp exit.

He was great, must have known we shouldn't have been in there but was happy to chat to us for a couple of minutes.

Just managed to get tickets to see him in Edinburgh (couldn't get tickets for his Aberdeen show) later this year so that should be good.

Oh, I've also met heaps of musicians etc from playing in bands. But that doesn't really count.
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:I once served Howard Johnson's (the son) dinner. He sat at the fountain counter. I did not know who he was, but was suspicious because the rest of the staff went into a panic when he came in and his steak was a good bit better than that offered on the menu.

He was quiet, but pleasant, and did tip appropriately.

One of my recollections of that summer includes vivid memories of the waitress handbook, circa 1955 treasure which required that we wear white underwear -- white panties, white brassiere, white full slip, and a white girdle with . . . I'm not making this up . . . attached garters to hold up our nylons. Upon being informed of this, I said I did not believe I would be able to comply with that requirement, due to the unavailability of both girdles and stockings. I wore pantyhose. Besides, who would know?

The female who hired me said company matrons would conduct surprise inspections during which female employees would be taken to the stock room and required to display their undergarments. Several waitresses confirmed that this had occurred to them. I believed this to be unconstitutional infringement upon both liberty and the pursuit of happiness, either of which would be impossible to achieve in a girdle, and decided to just take my chances with respect to a big equal-opportunity settlement.

The uniform required wear of a small apron, the ties of which were to be starched and formed into a perky bow, the sides of which were to be safety-pinned to the waistband. This was to prevent randy businessmen from playfully yanking the ends and ripping off the apron. The girdle was to prevent them from pinching one's backside. I thought that such randy apron-rippers and buttock-pinchers should be arrested, but HoJo feared loss of their apparently considerable business.

Mr. Johnson did not attempt to pinch or yank, but that may only have been because the fountain counter put my bow-bedecked behind too far away.
Keep up those descriptions Lamby.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, if any of y'alls figger out that you met ME one time, let us know.

Just having you on this board is more awe inspiring than most people can handle.
Yes. It is, rather, isn't it. :wink:

I can't recall meeting anyone famous according to the parameters of the OP. But I did meet Dáithí Sproule for the first time when he was wandering about at a concert in a bar; I recognised him from his photo on an album, and said to him, "You must be Dáithí Sproule, am I right?" He confirmed that, and asked my name. Thus armed, he then said, "And you must be [Nanohedron], then." Classic Dáithí.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've met a lot of famous dulcimer players, if that counts.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

dubhlinn wrote:Having been complimented on my fiddle playing by a oldish guy in Donegal many years back, I asked him if he played himself.
He smiled and said yes but he did not play Irish music.

It was shortly afterwards that I found out it was Yehudi Menhuin...

He looked different without the fiddle under his chin :oops:

Slan,
D.
Yah, good aul' Huddie McMenamin!

R
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Nanohedron wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

Yes. It is, rather, isn't it. :wink:

I can't recall meeting anyone famous according to the parameters of the OP. But I did meet Dáithí Sproule for the first time when he was wandering about at a concert in a bar; I recognised him from his photo on an album, and said to him, "You must be Dáithí Sproule, am I right?" He confirmed that, and asked my name. Thus armed, he then said, "And you must be [Nanohedron], then." Classic Dáithí.

Wow he really said "and you must be [Nanohedron] then" wow you must have been really chuffed :)
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

When I was a kid, our regular babysitter was the sister of Max Gail (Wojeciehowicz on "Barney Miller).
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre