Concert Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Concert Flute

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:Is this a real discussion?
Denny wrote:nope :D
rap4th
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rap4th »

Daiv,

Wow....thank you so much for the videos!! They are great!! I just watched them a few seconds ago. I will follow along with my flute when I get some time tomorrow (yay I have off from work!!).

I will probably get a chance to take some pics of the flute as well.

Thanks again!!

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
http://www.rap4th.com/tinwhistle/
daiv

Post by daiv »

rap4th wrote:Daiv,

Wow....thank you so much for the videos!! They are great!! I just watched them a few seconds ago. I will follow along with my flute when I get some time tomorrow (yay I have off from work!!).

I will probably get a chance to take some pics of the flute as well.

Thanks again!!

Rob
you're welcome, not a problem! let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions.
daiv

Post by daiv »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Is this a real discussion?
i'm not sure i get it.... ummm, yes?
Akiba wrote:
Julia Delaney wrote:I don't understand. The OP comes here and says he has a silver flute to play and what do we think about it. Most people are very encouraging. Then somebody comes along and says he really doesn't have the right equipment for the job. If it were me I would investigate a conical wooden simple system flute. Would he think of saying this to somebody like Joanie? To Noel Rice? Would a teacher, somebody like Catherine McEvoy, imply something negative about their instrument to somebody who came into her class?
On other sites people come on with instruments that accomplished players don't think much of. But nobody would say they should save up for the right instrument because it would be easier, or more appropriate, or whatever. You don't find Anglo players hinting to English players that they haven't got the right instrument for ITM.
I thought this was very condescending: You may find it enjoyable to play. But I would go for a simple system flute for ITM. The OP was very gracious and kindly accepted what most people had to say. Most people were very encouraging and supportive. I've been to sessions where people were playing silver flute. Nobody would dream of saying ... you will find ITM easier and more rewarding on a simple system flute made of wood.
To the OP: play on! Someday I hope we can have a tune together and I bet you will sound great on whatever flute you are playing. It isn't about the equipment. It is about the music.
I get your point, Julia, in that it's discourteous to criticize a newcomer's instrument. But I do have to admit that, even though I'm a fairly accomplished silver flute player, I find playing ITM on an "Irish flute" a lot easier and better adapted to the music. I'm amazed at players like Joannie and Daiv's uncle who play so well on the silver flute, but they are the exception, not the rule. To the OP, play what you got; develop the embouchure. Then, if you're so moved, try other flutes and find what works best for you. If the silver flute is your cup o' tea, more power to you.

All the best,

Jason
i agree with you. i dont know how people like joanie, noel rice and my uncle did it. i grew up listening to someone playing the silver flute, so it's second nature to me. in my head, i hear the sounds of a silver flute in irish music. i cant imagine trying to CREATE those sounds from scratch, never having heard them.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

daiv wrote:i have made a two part video for you which i hope will be helpful. part one is for assembling the instrument and where your fingers go, and part 2 is the D scale (and i give you C natural, so you can figure out G on your own).

in part 2 i play my dave copley wooden headjoint.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKBlpEpsWbo
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfhHlysSUNo
Good for you on emphasizing TWISTING on the foot joint during assembly. It is very common for students to instead try to push the foot joint straight on, widening or distorting the socket, making for a loose fit, leakage (or the joint falling off when the flute is tilted), or gripping by (and damaging) the keys.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Should someone tell Rob that we'll just keep discussing this and a few other related and non-related topics long after he needs/wants our advice and that it's OK for him to quit reading this thread any time he wants?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

naw, he'll either leave in disgust or figure it out.
daiv

Post by daiv »

mutepointe wrote:Should someone tell Rob that we'll just keep discussing this and a few other related and non-related topics long after he needs/wants our advice and that it's OK for him to quit reading this thread any time he wants?
rob--we are a silly lot. please disregard any information not directly referenced to you. also, feel free to post in this thread as you have been doing, as we will pay attention to you again. honest. if we dont, let us know :poke: (i just wanted a legitimate reason to use the poke smiley!)
daiv

Post by daiv »

kkrell wrote:
daiv wrote:i have made a two part video for you which i hope will be helpful. part one is for assembling the instrument and where your fingers go, and part 2 is the D scale (and i give you C natural, so you can figure out G on your own).

in part 2 i play my dave copley wooden headjoint.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKBlpEpsWbo
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfhHlysSUNo
Good for you on emphasizing TWISTING on the foot joint during assembly. It is very common for students to instead try to push the foot joint straight on, widening or distorting the socket, making for a loose fit, leakage (or the joint falling off when the flute is tilted), or gripping by (and damaging) the keys.
i had a footjoint which would fall off all the time. it was unbelievably annoying.

from a young age, my uncle taught me to be very mindful of instruments. never put them on chairs or on beds or on the edge of tables. always clean your flute out afterwards, and never play without brushing your teeth or rinsing out your mouth. of course, my uncle is where i learned to never touch the keys when putting it together. i can remember many times when i was younger putting my flute on a chair and not being allowed to leave the room until i put it on a table.

it makes me cringe to see people not treat their instruments well. my new concertina has almost never touched any surface besides its case, my hands, and my pants leg. that being said, it still has gotten a couple nicks and scratches--i had the case open and dropped a whistle on it :boggle:.
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Here is a picture of the flute that I have:

Another question, do I need to worry about using cork grease or anything like that on the joints where they go together?

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Also, I have another question....

The head joint...where you put your lips...there seems to be a thicker side and a thinner side. I am able to make some consistent sounds when I use the thinner side but I can not make a sound on the thicker side. I hope you know what I mean. Well, when I put the flute together, and I put it up to my lips....the thicker side is toward me and I really have problems making any notes. That piece that goes over the whole where you blow into and rest you lips on....can that be rotated?

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Another question, do I need to worry about using cork grease or anything like that on the joints where they go together?

No, never use cork grease or any other grease on a silver flute. It should, if it's been properly adjusted, go together perfectly with metal on metal with no product.

Regarding which end to use, the longer thicker end is the right direction--the flute should stick out pointing to the right with your left hand closest to your head and your right hand furthest.

And no you can't rotate the lip plate over the blow hole.
Last edited by Akiba on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

rap4th wrote:Also, I have another question....

The head joint...where you put your lips...there seems to be a thicker side and a thinner side. I am able to make some consistent sounds when I use the thinner side but I can not make a sound on the thicker side. I hope you know what I mean. Well, when I put the flute together, and I put it up to my lips....the thicker side is toward me and I really have problems making any notes. That piece that goes over the whole where you blow into and rest you lips on....can that be rotated?

Rob

Rob,

Maybe you don't have your bottom lip far enough up on the plate? You want the edge of your bottom lip to slightly overlap the embouchure hole. Then you want to blow a focused stream of air downward at an angle so that it targets the far edge of the hole. The goal is to have the far edge of the hole split the air stream. As other have said, try it with just the head joint to start with.

Kirk
Denny

Post by Denny »

rap4th

Post by rap4th »

OK...I have practiced with just the head joint and I can get notes out with no problem.

However, as soon as I put the flute together.....I can't seem to get it right. I used Daiv's videos to make sure I put it together correctly and I have my fingers in the correct position. After about 20 minutes without getting a proper note to come out....I cleaned it and put it away. I will have to try again another time because I got frustrated. I know that I should not get frustrated but I was really anxious to possibly play some tunes once I got the knack of it.

I found out what type of flute it is. It is a beginner's flute called FirstAct. I looked it up and it is about $230. Can't go wrong though since I got it for free :)

Well...that being said....thank you everyone for the great advice and comments. I am sure with a bit more practice I will be able to get my first notes out!!

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page