Classic tunes that should never be stopped playing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Classic tunes that should never be stopped playing

Post by Mitch »

Here's a thread for us all to name those tunes that sessions hate to play.

You know? The ones that we all love, but make the old-hands cringe and moan about playing.

And yet, these are the great tunes which should be regarded as life and bones of ITM (specially when played on a whistle) - regardless of the moods of old jaded players notions, whims and prejudices ;)

I'll start with :

The Kesh
Morrison's jig
The silver Spear,
The lilting Banshee,
The Kerry Polka,
Si Bheag Si Mohr,
The Butterfly ...

More?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Classic tunes that should never be stopped playing

Post by s1m0n »

Have some hornpipes - The Rights of Man. The Boys of Bluehill. Harvest Home.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

The dingle regatta.
Off to California.
Clare jig.
The Galopede.
Mountains of Pomeroy.
The Ashplant.
Sligo maid.
There is one tune that I am getting sick of hearing and that is 'Drowsy Maggie'. It is not a bad tune as such but I am sick of f*%$le players treating it as the sprint finish in a set and ruining any kind of lilt to the tune by inflicting too much speed.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'm going to go out on a limb and put my favorite ballads/songs (in no paticular order) on the list:

The Foggy Dew
She Moved Through the Fair
Mo Ghile Mear
Spancil Hill (pick your favorite version)
Boolavogue
Buachaill on Eirne
Rising of the Moon/Wearing of the Green
Lily of the West/Lakes of Pontchartrain
Casadh an tSugain
The Immigrant
Roisin the Beau
Whiskey in the Jar
My Lagan Love
Eirigh Suas a Storin
Citi' na gCumman

I like all the above, some because they are beautiful, some for the story they tell and some because they are fun to sing real loud.

I'm no expert on music history, so some of my selections might not be strictly Irish or songs or ballads. Comments welcome. However, I, for one, think we (this forum and the sessions and workshops I've attended in the USA) focus a bit too much on dance music and sometimes overlook all the wonderful "other" music of Ireland.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Give Me Your Hand.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Cooley's Reel
Roscommon Reel
Musical Priest
Glasgow Reel
Scatter the Mud
Drowsy Maggie
Silver Spear
Wise Maid
Toss the Feathers
Pigeon on the Gate
Ships are Sailing
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Makar

Post by Makar »

Duncan Johnston
The Curlew
Calliope House
The Atholl Highlanders
Fear a bhata
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mitch wrote:Here's a thread for us all to name those tunes that sessions hate to play.

You know? The ones that we all love, but make the old-hands cringe and moan about playing.

And yet, these are the great tunes which should be regarded as life and bones of ITM (specially when played on a whistle) - regardless of the moods of old jaded players notions, whims and prejudices ;)
These are the meat and potatoes of the session, the lingua franca. There's nothing wrong with moving on to other less familiar tunes, for you certainly don't wan't to be stuck playing the same-old-same-old each and every time, turning the session experience into a predictable grind. But there's no good reason to complain about it either if someone trots out the standards. That's just bad manners, and it marginalises less seasoned players. They have a tough enough time of it as it is without the attitude.

Not that I'm a player's player, but the way I look at it, if I can't breathe new life into the old standards, then maybe it's better I go back to the drawing board.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yeah, it's funny ... I know it's supposed to be conventional wisdom that experienced players turn up their noses at the old warhorse tunes. But honestly, I've very seldom found this to be true.

I think the problem is not the tunes themselves, but limited repertoire. In our main session, I'd guess there are 1000+ tunes in circulation among us, and a few hundred that get played more often. Everyone has favorites they bring to the table. It's only if a tune gets overplayed week after week that there may be some grumbling. But that's true of anything. Otherwise, a warhorse is just a tune like any other.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The irony is that if you DON'T know these tunes the session regulars will say, "What, don't you know that? How can someone pretend to play Irish Trad and NOT know THAT tune?!"

Damned if you do and...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Yeah, it's funny ... I know it's supposed to be conventional wisdom that experienced players turn up their noses at the old warhorse tunes. But honestly, I've very seldom found this to be true.
Yeah, same here. What I have come across is an unshakeable expectation on the part of the more beginner-level players that the basic tunes will be ill-received. And that's because they go to advanced sessions and hear everything but. I tell 'em to play what they know, and to hell with the begrudgers. Those will be few if any, and may be regarded to likely have personal problems.

Dunno how it goes with other locales.
MTGuru wrote:I think the problem is not the tunes themselves, but limited repertoire. In our main session, I'd guess there are 1000+ tunes in circulation among us, and a few hundred that get played more often. Everyone has favorites they bring to the table. It's only if a tune gets overplayed week after week that there may be some grumbling. But that's true of anything. Otherwise, a warhorse is just a tune like any other.
That reminds me: I gotta trot out some new sets, myself. I fear the war-drums of dissent may sound soon. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Summertime
Scarborough Fair
Fever
Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone
Theme to the Brady Bunch

I don't play ITM
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

mutepointe wrote:Theme to the Brady Bunch...
Which leads nicely on to "what is the most inappropriate tune you've heard or been asked to play on a whistle?"
(Not that the theme to the Brady Bunch is anappropriate in any way.)

It's been said that the ukelele is a good "sh*t detector". If you can play a tune on a uke and make it sound good, then it's a good tune. Does the same apply to the whistle?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:Yeah, it's funny ... I know it's supposed to be conventional wisdom that experienced players turn up their noses at the old warhorse tunes. But honestly, I've very seldom found this to be true.
There's a Boys of the Lough live recording in which Cathal introduces either the Connachtman's Rambles or the Geese in the Bog* by explaining that they're tunes that 'are very well known' in the tradition but which aren't played much.

*No one else seems to make this association, but I cannot hear the name of this tune without thinking of bog (a UK euphemism for toilet) in a pub, from which disconcerting waterfowl-like 'honks' have emerged the other customers' dismay.

I also can't hear the word "Atholl" without thinking I'm being insulted by a man with alisp, for similar reasons.
Last edited by s1m0n on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Gershwin's Summertime sounds good on a whistle, although you have to half-hole* one note. Whistles aren't used nearly enough to play the blues.

*but it's the kind of note that sounds better slid into, anyway, so you don't have to nail it perfectly right away.

C.S. Lewis