Slightly OT: My Mom Needs New Hair...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DazedinLA »

... for her violin bow. :smile:

She's in San Jose, California. Anyone know of a good fiddle tech who does a good and reasonably-priced job on bow rehairings?

Thanks,

Kev
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I knew a fella in Germany. I could probably get his phone number if you really wanted to pursue it. He had people coming to his shop from all over the U.S. symphony scene. He's one of those guys that uses laquer made by elves out of mushrooms (or something) in the Black Forest. Pretty cool.

He helped me restore a 1914 fiddle that I found at a junk store. It's still junk, of course, but it's pretty and playable junk now.

Erik
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Duuude, that subject line cracked me up!!

Hope all is well in FLA buddy, have you taken the boat out recently?

NC is a trip man. Going to visit Chris Abell at his shop this week, very cool.

I'll give you a ring one of these days when I'm somwhere that I actually get cell phone recption.

Loren
Pan

Post by Pan »

"Duuude, that subject line cracked me up!! "

Laughing out loud is exactly what I did.
"Slightly off topic".. :smile: Funny as hell!

/Peter
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-21 17:10, DazedinLA wrote:
... for her violin bow. :smile:

She's in San Jose, California. Anyone know of a good fiddle tech who does a good and reasonably-priced job on bow rehairings?

Thanks,

Kev
When you find out, I'd love to know. That's the excuse my kid (now in San Jose) is using for not asking me to send her fiddles. I can't play (not "won't"--arthritis) and they're in my way.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Hey Everyone!

Eric: Thanks, but Mom's not a power player, so a local repair guy is probably sufficient for her needs. I'll let you know, though, if for some reason we cant find anything.

Loren: Beautiful photo of your new stomping ground...I'm not bitter, really I'm not. Really. No, really. :smile: Haven't been kayaking in a few months...been too stormy or too cold or had a session to go to, etc, but starting next month it will be Prime Paddle Time. Sounds like you'er settling in nicely over there, djimbe man. Call me when you get a chance.

Pan: :smile:

Marguerite: I have a better solution...send me your unused, unwanted fiddles. :smile: I hear that every major city has violin repair people who do rehairing...its a fairly simple process, and actually I hear many do it themselves once they set up a few simple tools. I'll be happy to pass on what Info I find, though. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DazedinLA on 2003-01-22 06:24 ]</font>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out my friend Deb Segel. Although this site does not mention it, I'm pretty sure she does rehairing...Tell her I sent you.

http://www.violinsdirect.com/featured.shtml
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Speaking of catchy subject lines... I posted one on a latheworking bulliten board entitled:
Help! My nuts are too big (not lichen/spam)
It had to do with some lathe parts I had ordered that were oversized....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Hey, Dazed, I didn't buy the fiddles so I can't give them away. I COULD take them to an old friend in the town where I work (Frederick, MD) and then send re-haired bows off to the kid, but it's money I don't have to spend right now.

I keep threatening to send them to eBay, but I sound pretty hollow and unconvincing.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Paul: Thanks, I'll check it out. Funny post title!!!!

Marguerite: Well, it was worth a try. But please dont interpret my request to mean that I have FOA (Fiddle Acquisition Disorder). My mom played violin in high school and her fiddle has been sitting in a closet under the stairs for decades...I finally convinced Dad to conduct a major archeological dig to unearth it. Seems a shame, the thought of good fiddles going unplayed. Something about the vibrations conditioning the wood to make the instrument sound better. I hear that's why Strads are so good, partly because they were so well made at the start, but also (perhaps mostly) because they've been constantly played for hundreds of years, and the surviving instruments have so much conditioning from constant playing that no reasonably modern instrument can match. That must be why my brand-new-since-July-purchased-online-made-in a-remote-slavic-country fiddle sounds better now than it did when it first arrived (It cant possibly be because of me :smile: ).

I may be able to go home to San Jose/Sacramento/San Francisco in March or April to visit and I'm hoping to turn her from a rusty-plays-only-with-sheetmusic violinist to a true-plays-by-ear fiddler. Hey, now that I think of it, who's in San Jose/SF/Sac who might want to get together for ChiffSession. I'd love to meet some of y'all in person?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Hey, I'm here! I will be in Ireland the last of April and the first of May, but it'd be great to hook up with you if I'm here.
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

On 2003-01-22 08:25, blackhawk wrote:
Hey, I'm here! I will be in Ireland the last of April and the first of May, but it'd be great to hook up with you if I'm here.
You lucky dog!!! Great, I'll keep you posted as my plans shape up (they are rather amoebic at the moment, but they'll evolve soon). I seem to recall that 'Enders hails from those parts as well, I wonder if we can snag him too.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-01-22 08:31, DazedinLA wrote:

You lucky dog!!! Great, I'll keep you posted as my plans shape up (they are rather amoebic at the moment, but they'll evolve soon). I seem to recall that 'Enders hails from those parts as well, I wonder if we can snag him too.
And MurphyStout, too. Yeah, keep me posted, Kev, it'd be great to meet you.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Geez, when I read the subject, I thought it was going to be about cancer and chemo therapy. I'm glad it's not!
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

On 2003-01-22 09:43, JessieK wrote:
Geez, when I read the subject, I thought it was going to be about cancer and chemo therapy. I'm glad it's not!
Thanks, Jessie. No, thank God, she's not suffering from that. But I did recently get a distressing call from her to hear she was in the hospital in New Zealand (she was there on vacation with my sister two weeks ago). Apparently after such adventures as repelling down a cliff into a cave, scrambling around on waterfalls and rope bridges over ravines, they went mountainbiking in the beautiful Mount Whateveritscalled in New Zealand somewhere near where they filmed LOTR. Unfortunately Mom's never been on a mountainbike, so she hit the brakes too hard and fell and broke her pelvis. Sigh. I cant complain or say that a 67 year old woman has no business doing this stuff...I took her skydiving with me and I've never seen her happier. Maybe we'll go kayaking in shark-infested Florida waters next for more fun! :smile: