Slide whistle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Slide whistle

Post by fyffer »

So, I've just acquired the subject "instrument".
So the question: Does anyone regard this as an actual musical instrument? Or is it merely for Spike Jonesian sound effects?

I got it from a restaurant that is closing as of today, and they are clearing all their decorations and props, of which this is one. Ostensibly, the device has less than an octave range (which begs the question: How much actual music can be made on said device?), but can we be tricky with overblowing? Note, I just got this puppy, and I'm at work, so I can't experiment quite yet.

Here comes the "Physics of Sound" lesson

Unlike a traditional whistle, because this is a tube only open on one end (go ahead, I dare you - argue why a pennywhistle is closed on one end) , the slide whistle has an odd harmonic series, meaning that overblowing should produce not the next octave, but an octave plus a fifth (similar to the clarinet), and the next overtone would be two octaves plus a third. Any possibilities here? Heck, if trombone players can do it ....
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
caedmon
antispam: No

Re: Slide whistle

Post by caedmon »

Same concept as a Trombone, yes? Just on a smaller scale.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Don't know how the restaurant used this "prop," but if memory serves me correctly, alcohol might be helpful in the playing of these things.

Just a thought.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Over blowing it should be able to hit C C G E Bb D F etc. with the slide fully extended (assuming the low note is C). It should act just like a willow flute with it's end closed. Bore width to length ratio might be limiting though and not allow much over two octaves. No reason that it shouldn't be considered a real instrument, but I can not think of anyone that has used it for anything outside of Looney Toons and sound effects.

And just for fun, Danny Boy with Slide Potato
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

caedmon wrote:Same concept as a Trombone, yes? Just on a smaller scale.
Except trombone doesn't normally operate in the pedal tone range, which is the usual case with the slide whistle.
I.D.10-t wrote:Over blowing it should be able to hit C C G E Bb D F etc.
I think you have an extra C in there: C G E Bb D F. But yes, you can hear this series (starting on G) on a normal whistle by covering all the holes and stopping the bell end completely against your knee. Of course the stopped end lowers the fundamental by 1 octave, and it seems impossible to hit that pedal note. So the first G is a 12th above the pedal, or a 5th above the unstopped whistle's normal bell tone.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I thought those things were called "Calliope Flutes".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Over blowing it should be able to hit C C G E Bb D F etc.
I think you have an extra C in there: C G E Bb D F. But yes, you can hear this series (starting on G) on a normal whistle by covering all the holes and stopping the bell end completely against your knee. Of course the stopped end lowers the fundamental by 1 octave, and it seems impossible to hit that pedal note. So the first G is a 12th above the pedal, or a 5th above the unstopped whistle's normal bell tone.
There is no way that you can over blow the first C is there? Got caught up thinking about the notes it could play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
It would be interesting to see what would happen if some one seriously made a piston fipple flute and some one played it seriously.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come to think of it, I could make a slide flute and play around. Tube, embouchure, piston...

It is unfortunate that I have no skill at manufacture or playing.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Good Idea, ID! I shall have a crack at making one. Now, Shall I make it in A, D or C....? (A would be longer and therefore either more notes or better likelihood of control).
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I seem to recall that some years back someone - was it Avanutria? - posted a vid of a kitchen session where they were playing ITM on slide whistles. It was pretty funny. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

It is good to know whether or not one should take these things seriously as one pores over catalogs from Elderly Instruments, Lark in the Morning, and Oriental Trading Company.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I still want to do a kazoo session. Yes, it'll only be good for a tune - maybe two - but my life will be near-complete for it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Nanohedron wrote:I seem to recall that some years back someone - was it Avanutria? - posted a vid of a kitchen session where they were playing ITM on slide whistles. It was pretty funny. :thumbsup:
It wasn't ITM, but it was a kitchen session.

It's a Small World After All by Avanutria and Wyobadger
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

avanutria wrote:It's a Small World After All by Avanutria and Wyobadger
Ah, right! I had this vague idea that it was maybe the Silver Spear. Good thing it wasn't. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I like the nonchalant guy in the background, who seems completely unfazed by the musical apocalypse in the foreground. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
avanutria wrote:It's a Small World After All by Avanutria and Wyobadger
Ah, right! I had this vague idea that it was maybe the Silver Spear. Good thing it wasn't. :wink:
DTM*, not ITM, see. The rules do not apply.

*Disney of course.