Just curious, what tunes are people working on right now?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-21 10:17, dlambert wrote:
The version I have of The Yellow Tinker doesn't have any Fnats. I don't know much about keys but this version is very playable on the whistle. Tommy Keane plays it on the pipes.
I've never heard Tommy Keane's version but I'd be keen to. The accordion player I was playing with plays it with Fnats (and Gnats too!) so I guess I'd better learn that. I'm tying to pick it on the zouk but I'm not much of a tunepicker, just an accompanist.

Steve
sunshinesdaughter

Post by sunshinesdaughter »

This is a great topic, it made me break the "lurking" fast I've been on all week :smile:
When I started whistle, umm, I guess 4 or so years ago, I learned all the tunes I could. When I reached 30 tunes, I stopped. I guess I didn't think I could hold any more in my head. Anyone have any tips/strategies on how to remember all those tunes? I try to play each tune I know once per week and that works but seems doomed to fail as the more I learn the longer I'll have to practice (so it's not very motivating to lazy ole me!)

But I have finally decided to learn some more tunes and am working hard on Jenny's Chickens. This one is tough for me since I don't really know how to play a high G# but am using the fingering from a Susato chart and it seems close enough.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

*stare. Pounces sunshine!*

This is unbelievable! First I meet a person in my town who plays whistle.. then finally, someone from my town joins the board! Nice to meet you, fellow Sarasotan! Myself, my friend, and you ought to meet up sometime to jam out. I'd volunteer my place! ( As long as you aren't allergic to cats or dogs.. :smile: )

--The way excited Sara

Edited to add: Feel free to drop me a private message or email, so that we don't stray people away from the thread. Which is probably what -I- should have done.. but hey..
without troubling of a star." (Madeleine L'Engle)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soineanta on 2003-01-21 16:25 ]</font>
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

The Duke of Leinster, a two-part G reel with some nice turns. There's a good version in Ceol Rince na hEireann vol 2, #194, I think. You should really hear a good flute player wailing on it.

I love Tommy Keane's piping, seeing him and Jackie at the Milwaukee festival last summer was a real treat.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

New tunes- The Otter's Holt, and Kesh Jig
mostly working on phrasing on tunes I know but need refining to have the "right" sound.

I'm almost to my goal of playing Kid on the Mountain along with the Bothy Boys cd. That speed with no mistakes is proving a challenge.

I think I will ALWAYS be working on Drowsy Maggie- my nemisis.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2003-01-21 23:03, cowtime wrote:
I think I will ALWAYS be working on Drowsy Maggie- my nemisis.
That tune is pure evil.

Luckily it seems to have fallen out of fashion around here.
sunshinesdaughter

Post by sunshinesdaughter »

Thanks for the warning on Drowsy Maggie. That one has been on my "tunes to learn" list for a long time. Maybe it should stay there!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-01-21 11:16, The Weekenders wrote:
They're making me SING Danny Boy for our band's St. Pat's gig! HELP!!!!!!!!
Just sing London Derrière instead--you know where to find the "lyrics" now :wink:
Doña L

Post by Doña L »

First part of Aires de Pontevedra (part B is simple; A is a bear) and second part of Planxty George Brabazon. After a while, I forget how many repetitions I'm supposed to be playing.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

A set of jigs for dances. All of them are from Barry Shear's Cape Breton piping books, thus either composed or "filtered" through CB:

Miss Sally Hunter (Niel Gow)
Marie MacInnis' (Dan H. MacEachern)
Alex Currie's Jig (? source: Alex Currie)
Capers (trad. arr: B. Shears)

Best, John
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Golden Castle. I wish I`d never heard this song. But its got me. And it wont let go. I`m trying to learn it by ear and its driving me crazy. Anyone know where I can get the music?

Tom
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>Currently, I'm working on McGreavy's (aka Talty's, aka Eddie Kelly's), Man of the House, Cam Ye O'er From France, Legacy Jig, Earl's Chair and the Teetotler's.

<P>And I'm doing it without sheet music.

<P>Which is why it's taking so #@?!*@ing long.

<P>~Firefly (emerging from the cold waters of lurkdom. Hi, everybody!)
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Thought I'd jump on this train...

I just learned the tune that McGoldrick plays on the kerry Songbird (on the kerry whistles web site). Does anyone know what tune that is?

Also, almost halfway learning the 1st Mary Bergin Record... Bummed that she won't be at Gaelic Roots.... But hey, lessons in the morning with Joannie won't stink! My goal for this winter is to learn the whole record... But I take breaks from it from time to time for variety...

Oh, and whatever dlambert (Don) throws my way!

What's next Don?!
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Lough Mountain

The Trip to Pakistan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2003-01-23 16:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2003-01-23 16:15 ]</font>
TomB

Post by TomB »

On 2003-01-22 21:25, Blackbeer wrote:
Golden Castle. I wish I`d never heard this song. But its got me. And it wont let go. I`m trying to learn it by ear and its driving me crazy. Anyone know where I can get the music?

Tom
Tom: If I'm not mistaken, The Golden Castle is a hornpipe composed by Junior Crehan. This linke will give you everything you need to know.

http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/fi ... e%29&L=100

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"