cleaning your flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
garyfitz123
antispam: No

cleaning your flute

Post by garyfitz123 »

I have recently noticed that my keyless blackwood murray flute has become quite "gunky" inside the headjoint. When i shine a light through the blowhole i can see alot of rough crusty stuff. (it actually reminds me of nearly calcium deposits)

What i was wondering is what is the best way to remove this gunk. It cant be doing the wood, or the tone any good! :)
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: cleaning your flute

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'll be curious to hear some more intelligent replies, but !hey, what the heck! here's mine Image ... on the occasions I've "degunked" I smear some almond oil around the blowhole edge & any other gunky areas, let it sit for a bit in hope of softening some of the crud up, and then use the end of a matchstick a wooden chopstick wrapped in a layer of almond-oil soaked paper towel to verrrrrry gently but persistently scrape at the stuff.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

A recent and not long-encrusted deposit will probably shift with a bit of spit on a cloth wrapped around a dowel or some such non abrasive or sharp-edged probe. If it is too crusty for that, try a dab of meths on your cloth. If you have a metal lined head, removing the stopper and pulling a jewellery polishing cloth through a few times may be a good idea, and if there are stubborn deposits, Brasso or Silvo (depending on what metal the tube is made of) on a cotton rag pushed through by your drying rod........ just make sure you remove any metal polish that gets onto the wood fairly promptly and clean it all out thoroughly. If the head is unlined, the meths method will serve and you'll need to oil the wooden bore afterwards. In any case, remember to oil the wood surface in the embouchure chimney.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

I almost hate to ask but what is the crud? What is it's chemical make-up? Animal, vegetable, or mineral?
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:try a dab of meths on your cloth
What is meths in American-speak?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Rubbing alcohol. Or more accurately, methyl hydrate. AKA methylated spirits.

~~

But this thread title really should be a euphemism for something.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Do you perhaps use the expression "de-natured alcohol"? Essentially methylated spirits is ethyl alcohol (ie Jamisons) plus some wood alcohol (methyl alcohol) to make it poisonous, and pyradine to make it smell and taste bad. This enables them to sell it without incurring liquor taxes.

Terry
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Sometimes, despite all the soaking, it's still impossible to get the crud off the inside of the embouchure hole. (Perhaps it is mineral in nature!) You can sharpen a paddle pop stick to look like a chisel, and use that to dislodge really hard stuff. Never use anything harder than soft wood unless you really know what you are doing (ie you're capable of cutting an embouchure from scratch). Even with a softwood chisel, be especially careful of the blowing "edge" you don't want to increase the rate of wear there. Just concentrate on following the existing curves.

Terry
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Terry McGee wrote:Do you perhaps use the expression "de-natured alcohol"?
Yes, that's it. Thanks, Terry (and Simon).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

You know, anonymous encrusted goo on a flute embouchure is a thought I have successfully avoided until just now. Yuck.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cork

Post by Cork »

garyfitz123 wrote:I have recently noticed that my keyless blackwood murray flute has become quite "gunky" inside the headjoint. When i shine a light through the blowhole i can see alot of rough crusty stuff. (it actually reminds me of nearly calcium deposits)...
Actually, you're quite right, in that the deposits you could be seeing indeed could be calcium. It's been a discovery that antique flutes sometimes do have a calcium deposit, especially on the lower part of the bore, or on the "bottom channel", as when such flutes have not been regularly swabbed out and have been rested with the keys upwards, or, in your keyless case, with the tone holes upwards.

Yet, be careful about removing the calcium. It's tough stuff, and as Cathy Wilde suggested, try using the slow approach, to use a gentle solvent such as an oil and over time, to help loosen the muck.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Terry, S1m0n, thanks for "translating" the meths thing while I was asleep! (Why oh why do the Yanks always have to have a different name for everyday stuff????? :o :evil: :twisted: ) FWIW, I thought "rubbing alcohol" was what we Brits call "surgical spirit" (also a methanol/ethanol combination, but without the purple dye used in meths) or alternatively isopropyl alcohol. Also FWIW, I have used isoprop when cleaning flutes, but find it tends to leave wood feeling greasy/not do as good a job as meths.

As to what the gunk is.... well, I suspect a fair bit of it is dead skin - cells off our lips - plus any tiny fragments of food and any other solids that may come up in microscopic droplets or chemicals (salts etc.) in solution in our breath/the moisture in our exhalations. On a flute with a lined head, there is also likely to be an element of metal corrosion or electrolytic leaching products around the metal edge in the embouchure chimney. The grain-end wood in the chimney could also leach waxy matter, especially in newer instruments.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

If you clean your flute regularly this won't be a problem. I use a paper towel on a 1/2' wide, 1/8" thick, 8" long stick to clean the metal head joint tube. After running an oily silk cloth through the bore I use it to carefully oil the inside edges of the blow hole.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Julia Delaney wrote:If you clean your flute regularly this won't be a problem.
Quite! Well said JD! :lol:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jemtheflute wrote:Why oh why do the Yanks always have to have a different name for everyday stuff????? :o :evil: :twisted:
I would much rather we stick to IUPAC nomenclature.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."