"Oscar & Malvina" - O'Farrell's Pocket Companion, v. ... 2?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

"Oscar & Malvina" - O'Farrell's Pocket Companion, v. ... 2?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: What the heck? I looked it up and read from various sources that it's a bit of a ballet based on a pantomime based on a William Reeves epic or some such ... anyway, it's a hoot! Am having more fun with it and feeling like a mad Victorian, though I can't quite figure out how the backing and forthing transitions between D and G sections might be served in a reasonably tasteful manner ....

Anyway, insights or "Oscar and Malvina" thoughts much appreciated.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: "Oscar & Malvina" - O'Farrell's Pocket Companion, v. ... 2?

Post by NicoMoreno »

There're at three (approx) pieces from the play in the book(s). That's the jig you're looking at?

It's a hoot. I'll see if I can't record a version for you tonight!
Cathy Wilde

Re: "Oscar & Malvina" - O'Farrell's Pocket Companion, v. ... 2?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, that would be great! I've actually been looking at the "Very Slowly" march-ey sort of thing that starts in G and leaps into a D jiglike object, then the piece goes back to G and meanders around a bit before returning to the march theme in the last section. I've mixed up my O'Farrell's pages (:oops:!) so am not 100% sure which volume I'm in (I downloaded the PDFs at some point) but IIRC (I didn't get to play this morning & forgot to look), I believe it's number 132, 133, or 135 if that helps narrow things down a little. But I would LOVE a recording of any part, because it is indeed a hoot. Aaaah, the grand auld days, and thank you thank you! :-) :-)

If I ever get good enough and then get some drones going I think it'd be a blascht for a wedding processional but then again, I'm kind of weird that way.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.