Has this ever happened to anyone else?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Liney Bear
antispam: No

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Post by Liney Bear »

I was at a session the other day and was drying out my flute with a small bit of cloth and a plastic dowel rod, and the cloth got totally stuck in the bore! Obviously, I had too much cloth and should have used a smaller piece, but it's always worked in the past. I've been using that little rag for ages and it's never gotten stuck. There was *no* getting that thing out either...

Couldn't play anymore so I went home and absolutely could not figger a way to get that thing out, but I did notice that a tiny bit of cloth was sticking out of the F# hole, so I took some needle nose pliers, tugged a bit, and using a very sharp pocketknife, cut the part that was hanging out. Kept on doing the same thing and eventually ended up with a pile of little bitty shredded up pieces of hankerchief. I didn't notice any marks or anything else in the bore, so I guess it's none the worse for wear.

A buddy of mine said the exact same thing has happened to him a couple of times, so I thought I'd see if anyone else's experiences mirror mine. Any other suggestions as to how to safely remove the cloth?
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Post by Rob Sharer »

Smooth move, Ex-Lax!

Try using an old silk hanky for a bore-swab. It's hard for me to imagine anyone managing to get one of those wedged in the flute. Maybe half a hanky for you... :D

Rob
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Fluteflag is safe and fast.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

a couple of times happened that the cloth went off the rod when cleaning the headjoint. that was a bit of a problem because i didn't want to take off the crown and the cork to push the cloth out (flute is new and i don't want to touch anything if i don't have to). it took a while to take it out, by using a little and long stick to grab the cloth.
But it never happened that it got stuck in the bore... you must have used a very big piece of cloth, no need to do that imho...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Yeah, fluteflag would be good, but I'm more of an improviser. Silk would be better (that's what Gramps Levine uses). I was just thinking of creative ways to get that thang outta there if it ever happens to anyone else.

yours,
Ex-Lax (?)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

You could push your dowel and cloth in from the thinner end of the bore.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Yes, same thing, and I made it worse by trying to push it out from the bottom with the rod - packed it tighter. I also worked at it through the F# hole (handy that its so big). Plan B was going to be making some sort of gizmo to attack it with up the bore without any sharp bits being able to touch the wood.

I have taken to using a narrow strip of cloth long enough that there is always some not in the flute.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Silk does "squish down" the best in my experience (it also dries really fast, for quicker packer-upping!). Regardless, my keyed flute is pretty small-bored so it happens to me every now and then, especially if I'm yakking while swabbing. So what I *generally* do is wind the cloth fairly tightly around the rod and, as mentioned earlier, without too much at the top (except when swabbing the head). During the "doh" moments when I've left too much at the top and the cloth does get stuck, I twist the rod so the cloth wraps more tightly around the rod and thus takes up less bore space; it usually pushes back out pretty easily from there.

However, my best swabs over the years have been the smaller ones where I've just cut a silk kerchief down by about a third and hemmed the cut edge. I might have to run the swab through the barrel an extra time or two, but that's still less time-consuming than "swab surgery."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

This has happened to me too. When you try to pull the rod, the wet swab clings to the inside of the bore, wrinkles up, and wedges tight. Then it won't budge in either direction. So now I use a silk strip nearly as long as the stick. When it gets stuck, pulling on the end of the swab, rather than pulling the stick, frees it right up. I've had two flutes with really narrow bores, and this happened all the time.

Jay
Denny

Post by Denny »

better question might be

How come it took ya so long to do that? :D
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Have you tried using your rod as a push rod in the large diameter cavities - head, barrel, top of LH, sockets of RH and Foot, and then as a pull rod for the narrow bore areas.

Pull rod = drop the rod backwards through the section first, in the manner of a clarinet pull-through.

That enables you to have a good amount of fabric to swab the big spaces successfully, but not so much that gets stuck in the small spaces. If the cloth is also fairly long and it does happen to get caught, you have something sticking out to pull.

Terry
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Saw a flute flag in the store. Didn't want to spend the $30 since it was made for a boehm and I wasn't sure it would fit right. Made my own out of a .69 cent wooden dowel and strip of sham-wow folded over and glued. Did it on both ends and trimmed some of it away on one end so it's smaller.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Since were on the topic of swabbing, and I know its been covered, but how important is it to get ALL the moisture out? I mean it seems that some moisture left in is OK. I seem to recall hearing that Matt Molloy waits to swab out his ax. Also, when meeting Skip Healy and trying out his flute, he had put it back in the case without swabbing.

As to my habits, using a cleaning rod and old piece of cloth, I swab during sessions because I think that extra moisture impedes and slightly hinders the sound and responsiveness. I also definitely swab after every session and most every practice.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I hesitate to share this, but here it goes. I haven't swabbed my flute out in years. That is, I only swab when I'm oiling my flute. Otherwise, I shake the moisture out or tap it on my leg and shake it lightly over my leg. No swabbing after playing.

There I said it. I feel better now.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. The Fluteflag is very good for getting out moisture during a performance,
because you can swab a whole assembled flute at one stroke.
But it doesn't get all the moisture out.

I reached the conclusion some time ago that I was more likely to damage
a flute by swabbing it than by not, so I stopped. It's been
a few years. No problems so far.