Do You Move When You Play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do You Move When You Play?

Post by PhilO »

This question arises from a question posed to me by my daughter's boyfriend who I subjected to display, playing and story behind each of about 100 of the whistles in my collection. He noted that I had a sort of "shoulder thing" going on when I got into a groove at times. My response was that some of the best players I'd seen appear perfectly still or perhaps just a steady toe tapping. (Yes, I now use my whistles rather than the shotgun on prospective beaus of my youngin')

Well this came to mind again when I watched Jim Stone's video - he had that almost imperceptible "shoulder thing" going on.

Well, do you guys move when you play? (Remember Sundance Kid, when the payroll guy was testing their shooting before he hired them as guards - "Can I move...I'm better when I move..."

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Do You Move When You Play?

Post by narrowdog »

Mahanpots has definitely got a 'shoulder thing' going here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhb_b2ne ... annel_page
especally at the start of the B part :D
Nice playing too :thumbsup:

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I used to move and groove quite a bit; I was into it. Now, though, I'm a lot more still when I play than in the past. It's not a tense rigidity thing, but more one of setting the body up as a solid, supportive base from sole to seat, from seat to spine and shoulders, and from spine and shoulders to neck (which is part of the spine, of course), all the way to the top of the head, all connected. I guess you could call it "poise". In my case I do think it makes all techniques generally easier to execute well, and of course I have better and more precise control of the instrument 'cause I'm not bouncing and swaying like a tree in a storm :wink: .

But, I still boogie a bit now and again. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

so much for the palm tree....
Dain

Post by Dain »

I "discovered" that only when i saw myself in a video. I knew that sometimes i swirl my head left and right when playing airs, but i had no idea it looked that funny, because the whistle stayed put, but my head was all over the place. Looked like Ray Charles on a whistle.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

To dodge the rotten veggies you bet.

It depends on where, what, and when I'm playing. I play in church (in the front of the congregation), so there are times (and not all times) when playing standing somewhat still is the right thing to do. When I see the children are dancing in the pews and aisles, I figure it's OK for me to sway a bit too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:To dodge the rotten veggies you bet.
In church? That's a hell of a way to run a food drive. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dain

Post by Dain »

mutepointe wrote:To dodge the rotten veggies you bet.
:tomato:

:D
Tia

Post by Tia »

I always move while I play, usually unconciously, sometimes just a shoulder, or just feet, I tend to stand on one leg when I really get into the music, and I usually walk around if I dont have a stand infront of me. If I'm really nervous though I dont move as much.
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

i tend to start with good posture and end up slumped with terrable posture.
:cry:
i need to be lashed to the fricken chair.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It would be interesting to find out if there's a trend, if there was a certain sort of movement that is common amongst ITM whistle players.

Because in the classical/legit world it does seem that certain sorts of movements are typically done by the players of certain instruments.

Orchestral flute players, for example, tend to move the open end of the flute more or less around in a circle. (And raise their eyebrows, but that's another topic.)

I was watching a certain jazz band and I noticed that the trumpet guy would get up on his tiptoes when he hit really high notes, while the sax guy would bend at the knees, his whole body going lower, when he played high passages. Hmmmm...
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

pancelticpiper wrote: ....while the sax guy would bend at the knees, his whole body going lower, when he played high passages. Hmmmm...
may i be the first to christen this pehnominan 'the Kenny-G effect'
Tia

Post by Tia »

pancelticpiper wrote: I was watching a certain jazz band and I noticed that the trumpet guy would get up on his tiptoes when he hit really high notes, while the sax guy would bend at the knees, his whole body going lower, when he played high passages. Hmmmm...
I've noticed that too, mostly with the sax players...also theres the raised eyebrows when playing a particulary high note
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Denny

Post by Denny »

none of the woodwind family play in tune with themselves....

they're just tryin' ta get the thing up there :twisted:

kinda like the face on the guitar player when they have to reach down near the pickups.... :shock:
riverman

Post by riverman »

I tend to do a little dipping of my head and shoulders to the right when I hit a part I really love to play. Kind of easing into the group of notes.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.