A bit more work ....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A bit more work ....

Post by Terry McGee »

In a recent, suddenly truncated discussion, Loren expressed concern that lack of work due to the Global Financial Crisis might be the cause of some remarks of mine. I'm so pleased to report that any temporary financial worries at my end are now behind me, with the receipt this evening of this lucrative order ....

----------------------------------------------
Hello Terry,

I am Chief George Oputa, Chairman Voice of WAZOBIA, Nigeria.

We had taken time to inquire from other flute makers about your reputation in flute making and we are please to tell you that the responses we received were all satisfactory.

Therefore we have decided to make request for the supply of about 50, 000 numbers of flute, preferably Blackwood flutes with sterling silver key work. It will also be designed specifically for playing African music, Nigeria precisely.

The flutes shall all be crested with words that will tally with the commemoration of our 49th year after independence which will be observed on the 1st of October, 2009. They shall be supplied with hard cases too.

So I require you to furnish me with more information on your products range, purchase and delivery because we will be placing the order immediately in order to meet our target.

Thanks for your quick response.

Accept the assurance of my sincere regards, please.

GEORGE OPUTA
Chairman, VOICE OF WAZOBIA, NIGERIA.

-------------------------------------

I may have to subcontract some of this!

(heh heh)

Terry
Wormdiet

Re: A bit more work ....

Post by Wormdiet »

Maybe open a shop in Pakistan, or will your new studio handle the workload?

Who knew Irish-Australian-Nigerian flutes could be so popular?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

50,000 @ 200 deposit .... 10,000,000 :twisted:

early retirement?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

How will you ever catch up on that backlog of repair work now? :lol:
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

If you start now, that's about 450 flutes per day, provided you don't take weekends off. To put it another way, if you work an eight hour day it's around a flute per minute. The good news is, that works out to a gross of approximately $200,000USD/hour. The bad news is that you'll have to figure out a way to get your lathe to run at around 30,000RPM. :)
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Terry, let me guess that Mr. Oputa sent you are large check as an initial installment payment and that he wrote the check a little larger than what you had agreed upon. He asked you to deposit the check and to wire the difference to his account. I hope you didn't do that.

My wife answers the telephone at the police department here in town. It is surprising how many people are taken by these schemes. The fact is, however, that when you consider the distribution of the bell-shaped curve measuring "intelligence quotient", there are just as many people on the far left side of the curve as there are at the 140 IQ level at the right. It would be nice if we all lived in the mythical Lake Wobegone, "where all the children are above average", but, sadly, we don't.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Don't ruin a good thing, Doug.

R
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Wow, you'd think an organization that is able to pay 125 million for flutes, provided you charge 1/2 price for volume discount, would at least have a web page. The Voice of Wazobia isn't a very loud voice it seems.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Is this a TM windup?? :really:
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Congratulations on your good fortune, Terry! I'm so glad I already got my new flute heads from you. You are going to be one busy flute maker for the next millennium :lol:
Paul
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Sh*t now how will I possibly buy a flute from you in the future? :(

Congratulations Terry, you definitely deserve it :)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Wow, both the grammar and the fact-checking (October 1, 1960) are impressive. I guess that means this must be real!

Of course, Nigerians will soon discover that these flutes are not at all suitable for Nigerian music. They'll quickly abandon their own music for ITM, giving us new tunes like "The Rocky Road to Lagos" and "The Bucks of Abuja". Then UNESCO will haul Terry before the World Court for destroying the cultural heritage of West Africa.

Interesting explanation of the term Wazobia: http://www.edofolks.com/html/pub42.htm
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Terry, I think that you should point out to them the difficulty in obtaining that much silver bullion and ask them to arrange to supply you with it in advance. You might even be able to get the mpingo direct from source?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
chef Paul

Post by chef Paul »

Terry

Maybe it's just a typo and Mr Oputa meant 50 or 500 flutes. Perhaps you can recruit Copely, Tipple, Hammy and a few other experienced flute makers to help!

In any case I am offering my services. You'll definitely need a Chef to feed you and your new staff. I'd be glad to take a leave of absence at my current job to provide you all with 3 squares a day!

Chef Paul
Last edited by chef Paul on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

A rough calculation suggests I'd need about 60 tonnes of blackwood! And given the timescale (assuming he needs these flutes in time for the Independance Day celebrations, to which I hope to get an invite!) I'll need to fly it in and finished product out. I've asked Eurobodalla Shire Council to start preparations for the Malua Bay International Airport and Freight Hub ....

If one had time (and one doesn't) it would be fun to follow up and string this guy along to find out how the scam works. I imagine it's some variant on the scheme Doug mentioned above. He's clearly read my web site or he wouldn't have mentioned blackwood.

I was amused that my spam filter had directed it to the spam bin - I guess the word Nigeria is enough to guarantee that. It must be hell trying to conduct any legitimate business in Nigeria!

Terry