Just curious, what tunes are people working on right now?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm working on my dance music right now (since I tend to favor slow airs, I've never worked sufficiently on dance tunes to get them working as smoothly as I'd like. I've got the basic sound and timing down, but the fingers just don't like to move briskly and accurately sometimes)...particularly double jigs and hornpipes, working slowly, trying to get the rhythm keen and the notes accurate without rushing the tune. Primarily I'm focusing on Swallowtail (jig) and The Heather Glen (hornpipe) at the moment.

Oh yes...and I did find a couple of nice country dance tunes in that fiddle book I bought...I've been working on those too, particularly Linnen Hall.

Redwolf
Prometheus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Prometheus »

Hiz all,

I'm learning MacAllistrums's March & Sonny Brogan's Marzuka from The Chieftains Celtic Harp album...
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

dlambert mentioned the Yellow Tinker and the Gooseberry Bush. Those are both good tunes I've was learning. I'd sort of forgotten the Gooseberry Bush though. But The Yellow Tinker is in both Gmix and Gmajor, at least the versions I've seen are. The middle part uses lots of F#s and some Fnats. The rest of the tune uses all Fnats. What do you do about that? I don't play it on whistle.

Steve
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Gander in the Pratie Hole, Off to California, Chief O'Neill's, and Flogging Reel. And Stairway to Heaven.
rbm

Post by rbm »

For my sins I'm trying
Casadh an tSugain (twisting the hay rope)
recorded in Buntings collection 1796

Swindon and Salmon tails up the water

well blackhawk off to california and stairway to heaven, urm.... the broad specrtrum of blowing your own whistle!!
:grin:
Richard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbm on 2003-01-21 04:34 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-01-21 04:32, rbm wrote:
well blackhawk off to california and stairway to heaven, urm.... the broad specrtrum of blowing your own whistle!!
:grin:
Hey, it's a very versatile instrument! :grin: I also do the theme from Star Wars. In fact, it's the oldest tune I do. You know, "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."
rbm

Post by rbm »

[/quote]
Hey, it's a very versatile instrument! :grin: I also do the theme from Star Wars. In fact, it's the oldest tune I do. You know, "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."
[/quote]

Veratile is the word,
I've worked out "take it back" by Pink Floyd for whistle and mandolin :grin:
R.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Pink Floyd on the whistle ?
Hmm... Tis an idea. Guess I'll listen back to that Barbet Schroeder's "More" soundtrack...
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

The Connaughtman's Rambles... I won't be happy until I can play Matt Molloy's version at the speed he plays it. :wink:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Trying to polish off Lillie Bulera and the White Cockade for our Celtic Night in March.
Also doing Be Thou My Vision, Ash Grove, Greenfields of America, Rose of Allendale, Road to the Isles, She Moved Through the Fair and the Galway Shawl.......all with lyrics. The whistle really adds to these. Can't quite convince the group to let me play my fiddle....maybe by next year. :smile: Gm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Dispute at the Crossroads (Dr Gilbert)/Devils of Dublin/Black Pat's.

I'm trying to get up to speed to play along with the Lunasa track on Otherworld. Not there yet, but I can see the dust from their boots on the horizon.

I'm listening to a lot of Lunasa and trying to pick up some of my favourite fast tunes.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore, Lakes of Ponchartrain, Hewlett, The Priest in His Boots (slide) and a couple others whose names I can't remember.
Mike
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

For our show coming up, King of the Fairies, Kid on the Mountain, Kesh Jig.

For my own fun, Rakes of Mallow, Christy Barry's set, 3 sea captains, Drowsy Maggie.

Also working on 3 or 4 from the Lunasa book.

Oh, and my girlfriend and I are working on a kind of cool duet...she is learning the left hand (Low parts) of the Linus and Lucy theme on the flute, and I am working on the right hand (Melody line) on the whistle.

Aodhan
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-21 04:42, blackhawk wrote:
Yeah! A really fine dance fiddler around here, Steve Hickman, dragged along the Glen Echo Open Band through what he called "The Jedi Jig" (although, like "Chorus Jig," it's a reel) at a contra dance one night. The dancers loved it.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Fire in the Hearth, Barbara Allen, The Contradiction, Tatter Jack, Drowsy Maggie (with the C part as notated by Ralph Sweet in his "Fifer's Delight"), Toss the Feathers, The Otter's Holt, the Home Ruler, the King of the Faeries--plus sightreading tunes every chance I get.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com