Looking for teacher

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dulcimer Bill
antispam: No

Looking for teacher

Post by Dulcimer Bill »

Looking for a whistle teacher in my area.
Louisville Ky.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks. Bill
Urshag

Re: Looking for teacher

Post by Urshag »

Have you tried Craigslist yet?
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

There was one listed in the teacher/student forum: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36832 -- but this is from 2006.

1.) You might check with the university's music department.

2.) If there are any sessions in Louisville, ask the participants if they know of any teachers in the area.

Too bad you're not closer to Cincinnati and the Riley School of Irish Music.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

There's also a lively scene in Bloomington, IN, 2 hours north of you. I think that Grey Larsen gives whistle lessons.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

As mentioned, check out some sessions. I found the following but don't know when the info was posted:

Fri 9ish Louisville, KY First Friday of each month features a Celtic seisiun at The Rudyard Kipling in Old Town Louavul!! The energy seems to increase each month as the shared repertoire expands. 502-636-1311

Sun 4-7PM Louisville, KY New, weekly seisiun at Molly Malone's, 911 Baxter Ave. (502) 473-1222

Thu 7:30pm Louisville, KY Seisiun at the Old Louisville Inn 740 Front St. (303) 666-9982

Wed 8:00pm Lexington, KY New Irish Seisiun Venue!!!"The Parting Glass II." Lane Allen Road (just off of Harrodsburg Road- adjacent to Turfland Mall). Looks to be the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Starts on Wednesday, June 21, 2000, 8:00PM. Hosted by Dan Cummings and Bev Buchanan. Spread the word! (606) 278-0815

Also, I ran across the bio of Greta Gillmeister who is in the music department at U of Louisville and apparently teaches whistle. Check out http://www.lorindajones.com/artist.asp, scroll down to the Greta Gillmeister bio. From the bio: "She is now concentrating her interests on the Penny whistle and Irish flute. Greta enjoys teaching private lessons, workshops, attending Irish sessions, and in general, playing with others that like to share in music making." Here's a link where you can contact her:
http://louisville.edu/music/bios/gillmeister.html

Good luck!
wurzel

Post by wurzel »

Are there any whistle teachers (I'm fumbling with a low D at the moment) who live in the south west of England? I am near Yeovil and could seriously do with some help! Many thanks, Wurzel.
CleverCugel

Post by CleverCugel »

Completely off topic, but my favorite semi-indie band hails from Yeovil. Bruce Soord with Pineapple Thief.

Now I've got to go dig out their latest and give it another listen. :D

It will give me a break from highlander radio!
Meadhbh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Meadhbh »

Hi Bill,

This post was recently brought to my attention, so I thought I would chime in. I am the Greta referenced previously in the thread. The main and most consistent session that is happening in Louisville is at Molly Malone's. It is on the third Sunday of each month. The time has recently been changed and we now meet 5-8 pm. You are more than welcome to stop by... it is a friendly and welcoming group. Several of us generally stay around after the session for dinner and chat time, so by all means do come and join us.

Also, I am left with the impression by your member name that you play the dulcimer. The Heartland Dulcimer Festival is held the first weekend of November in E'town. I do teach whistle during the festival if you are interested.

Greta
Dulcimer Bill

Post by Dulcimer Bill »

Thanks Greta.
I am a mountain dulcimer player with the Lousville Dulcimer Society.
I also play pennywhistle as well as harmonica with the group.
I've visited with your group a couple of times looking to stretch my horizons. I also have started visiting with the Corydon group in In.
I'd love to talk to you about learning more about my whistle playing, so I'll try to meet you the 3rd Sunday at Molly's.
I took my dulcimer to a contra dance session once and loved it. I don't think anyone heard my dulcimer but I sure enjoyed playing with the music.
Thanks again
Bill
Meadhbh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Meadhbh »

Sounds great, Bill... I'll see you there!
Greta