Good polkas?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good polkas?

Post by Bothrops »

Can you recommend me good and catchy polkas to play?

Thanks in advance!
Martin
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Good polkas?

Post by narrowdog »

Hi Bothrops
You could always give these a go.
Two sweet polkas from John Brosnans 'The Cook in the Kitchen' CD
ABC courtesy of http://www.thesession.org/
'John Cliffords'
X: 1
T: John Brosnan's
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
R: polka
K: Dmaj
D>E FA|Bc d2|B>A FA|B/c/B/A/ FA|
D>E FA|Bc d2|BA FE|D2 D2:|
d>c BA|Bc d2|B>A FA|B/c/B/A/ FA|
d>c BA|Bc d2|BA FE|D2 D2:|

'Brosna No2'
X: 1
T: John Brosnan's
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
R: polka
K: Gmaj
G2 g>e|dB Be|dB GA|BA AB|
G2 g>e|dB Be|dB AB|G4:|
ga/g/ fg|ed Bd|ga/g/ fg|e3f|
g2 fg|ed Be|dB AB|G4:|
g2 a2|b3a|gf ef|g3d|
ef/e/ dB|ef/e/ dB|dB AB|G4:|

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Good polkas?
Can you say oxymoron? :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

MTGuru wrote:
Good polkas?
Can you say oxymoron? :lol:
Grrrr :x :swear: I've heard this one way too often :D

No, really, I really like them a lot.

I remember how, after watching Water from Well DVD, I thought - wow, that bits of dance tune in the house sound kickass. And when I got the CD later as well and learned the tune...yummy.

I can remember three great Polka sets.

The first is on the Chieftains' Chieftains 5 - it's called 3 Kerry polkas - the first one being Egan's polka (as well as having million other names), the second one is Murroe polka (my favourite), the third one's name I don't know.

The second one is on Chieftains' Water from Well CD - Ballyfin polkas - the first one being Murroe again (but much more lively than on C.5, in my opinion), the second one Ballydesmond polka, the third one St. Mary's polka.

The third set is on Paddy Keenan's Na Keen Affair - consisting of Herb Reid's, She said she couldn't dance and Shooting the bull.

And on Micho Russell's Ireland's whistling ambassador, there is a very nice one, being called Steamrollers/MacTeige's - and in my opinion, it very similar to the Murroe polka (and maybe even being the same tune, played in different style). And both names sound cooler than Murroe, I'd say :-)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Do you know, when i saw this earlier, my first thought was to say "oxymoron". But then I thought, "No, I'm better than that".

Oh, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:D :lol:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Anny-hoo ...

... you meant something like "Military Intelligence", or "Married Life", I suppose ...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Pyroh wrote:The second one is on Chieftains' Water from Well CD - Ballyfin polkas - the first one being Murroe again (but much more lively than on C.5, in my opinion), the second one Ballydesmond polka, the third one St. Mary's polka.
Heh heh. That's actually the first set of polkas I learned on the B/C box. You probably know that the Chieftains in concert often invite local players to come up on stage and play with them, and I got picked for the Ballyfin Polkas, because Paddy wanted a box player for the set. But I'd only been playing box for a few months! So I practiced the hell out of the polkas for a few weeks before finally losing my nerve and begging off. Paddy himself ended up playing box for the show, and he was actually quite good. :-)

To this day I'm still a mediocre box player, but I can crank out the Ballyfin Polkas in my sleep.

Of course, it's a well-known fact that there's really only one Irish polka in the world, with many different names. You may think there are different polkas with different notes. But play enough of them, and you realize that they all sound exactly the same. :lol:

Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks a lot, people! I'll find out about all of those and see if I can learn a few :)

Cheers,
Martin
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

AAAArrrrr .. polkas

What I do is wait for the polkas to start and just play along with them - they are nice and easy - only thing is to work out if they are in D or G. These tunes were made for whistlers - and they are all happy sounding :)

Only one I know the name of is the Kerry (naturally) because a nice Kerry girl showed me how to play it .. on account of that's the only whistle tune she knew from school. .. interesting story that - her and all her gay friends got me to drive them from the session pub across the river to the pub where they were staying .. we were all .. erm .. quite inebriated at the time and when the cops pulled us over and breathalized me, they noticed all the 10 or so Irish girls stacked in my Fairlane and, after I told them where we were off to, allowed us to walk un-booked. .. Funny thing that - all the cops ended up at the bar in the pub we were going to. Since every cop in town seemed to be totally occupied discovering that the girls were all gay, I took the oportunity to go back to my car and drive back to the sesh :) it was a good night.

And who sez "No good deed will go unpunished"???!!! - Can't go wrong with polkas!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Pyroh wrote: The first is on the Chieftains' Chieftains 5 - it's called 3 Kerry polkas - the first one being Egan's polka (as well as having million other names), the second one is Murroe polka (my favourite), the third one's name I don't know.
The song "If I had Maggie in the Wood" has a nice polka melody, and it's on one of those records - 5/Boil the Breakfast Early, I think.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Mitch wrote:Funny thing that - all the cops ended up at the bar in the pub we were going to. Since every cop in town seemed to be totally occupied discovering that the girls were all gay...
That's hilarious. Let's hope the cops don't remember that it was you who led them astray.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

MTGuru wrote:
Pyroh wrote:The second one is on Chieftains' Water from Well CD - Ballyfin polkas - the first one being Murroe again (but much more lively than on C.5, in my opinion), the second one Ballydesmond polka, the third one St. Mary's polka.
Heh heh. That's actually the first set of polkas I learned on the B/C box. You probably know that the Chieftains in concert often invite local players to come up on stage and play with them, and I got picked for the Ballyfin Polkas, because Paddy wanted a box player for the set. But I'd only been playing box for a few months! So I practiced the hell out of the polkas for a few weeks before finally losing my nerve and begging off. Paddy himself ended up playing box for the show, and he was actually quite good. :-)

To this day I'm still a mediocre box player, but I can crank out the Ballyfin Polkas in my sleep.

Of course, it's a well-known fact that there's really only one Irish polka in the world, with many different names. You may think there are different polkas with different notes. But play enough of them, and you realize that they all sound exactly the same. :lol:

Now, that is precisely how unfortunate events and nightmares of early childhood (ehm, not sure about that) can absolutely change your point of view on something - and it explains your warped view on polkas :P

s1m0n wrote:
Pyroh wrote: The first is on the Chieftains' Chieftains 5 - it's called 3 Kerry polkas - the first one being Egan's polka (as well as having million other names), the second one is Murroe polka (my favourite), the third one's name I don't know.
The song "If I had Maggie in the Wood" has a nice polka melody, and it's on one of those records - 5/Boil the Breakfast Early, I think.
You're right - these are nice polkas as well!

But it's on album no. 8. And there's a nice live version on Chieftains in China.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Pyroh wrote:Now, that is precisely how unfortunate events and nightmares of early childhood (ehm, not sure about that) can absolutely change your point of view on something - and it explains your warped view on polkas :P
You may be right, Pyroh! Except for the "early childhood" part ... :wink:

brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

There's a great polka called Julia Clifford's in the Mel Bay book The Complete Irish Fiddle Player, or something like that (Peter Cooper). I don't think it's the same tune called Julia Cliffords listed on The Session.

http://www.amazon.com/Bays-Complete-Iri ... g_c#reader

If that link doesn't take you to the tune inside the book, go to Amazon.com, put in the name of the book, click on "look inside" and then search for Julia
Clifford's

This book has a lot of really great tunes, btw, and most of them are very suitable for whistle, mandolin, etc. Plus some terrific pics of old trad players. I recommend it highly
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

John Ryan's is a fun one.
the Ballydesmonds
Ballyhoura Mountains?