In Praise of Casey Burns

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

In Praise of Casey Burns

Post by Doc Jones »

I've been playing some Casey Burns flutes lately. Just felt moved to say what a fine fellow Casey is and how terrific his instruments are. I'm particularly fond of his Rudall model but they're all good.

I was playing a Burns Rudall today (which I find myself doing more and more lately) and was amazed at how well it half holes f-nat. The cross fingerd Bb is great as well. G-sharp is OK-ish and the C-nat is lovely. If a guy got an Eb key he'd be in pretty good shape for about any tune (I don't seem to use G# much in my repertoire any way).

They have a particularly rich and warm tone that I find very wonderful. I ripped off a few tunes on a Rudall in the post office today (Old marble building with bare floors and high ceilings...best acoustics in the world!) it was an amazing experience.

Anyway, just gushing a bit about a fine fellow who makes a fine tooter.

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: In Praise of Casey Burns

Post by Jayhawk »

I had a chance to play a burns standard in Sacramento earlier this month...very nice flute. I particularly love the profile his flutes.

I'm not a huge fan of the offset tones holes, though, but I can imagine if you're not used to in-line holes they'd be more comfortable.

Eric
Cork

Post by Cork »

Doc Jones wrote:...(I don't seem to use G# much in my repertoire any way)...
Oh, man! The key of A calls for a G#, and just how could anybody play Rock and Roll without the keys of D, G, and A?

Sheesh!

BTW, I like my Casey Burns D flutes, too.

;-)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Two thumbs up for Casey's flutes.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I once owned a Casey Burns folk flute. Given to me as a gift by Casey himself. I've loaned instruments from the C&F vaults over the years. I once got a call from a musician I didn't know at all who was driving from Florida to Nashville to go into the recording studio and realized he had left his whistles at home. I met him in a parking lot in Birmingham and loaned him some high end whistles. He recorded with them and promptly returned them. Loaned a Burke composite to a rock musician who toured with it and returned it in beat up condition, which I didn't mind because he had probably used it to trash a hotel room, which makes for a great story, even if not true.

In all of these loans to strangers or near strangers, I've only been burned once. Loaned the Burns flute, and it got loaned to someone else in turn, and I never saw it again.
Cork

Post by Cork »

@ Dale

Yes, the world of flutes is an interesting place, and I have some stories, too.

:-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dale wrote:In all of these loans to strangers or near strangers, I've only been burned once. Loaned the Burns flute, and it got loaned to someone else in turn, and I never saw it again.
Burned on a Burns. Who would have thought it?

It's a good thing you have no flutes by flutemaker Rob Killdale.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

MTGuru wrote:
Dale wrote:In all of these loans to strangers or near strangers, I've only been burned once. Loaned the Burns flute, and it got loaned to someone else in turn, and I never saw it again.

Damnit all... I just pushed a really nice Provençal Rosé though my nose.

:lol:

Oh and the Burns I just sold not too long ago was a cracker of a flute.

I didn't really want to sell it but I wanted someone to play it.

You could also defend yourself in a pub brawl with it.

Casey makes a rather robust instrument.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Aanvil, that wasn't the Burns some guy gave you for free, was it?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jayhawk wrote:Aanvil, that wasn't the Burns some guy gave you for free, was it?

No, I paid for it.

But truth be told it was a "Franken-Burns"

I mated a separate head and body.

I think I got the body from Sillydill... and a special head from... darn it...

anyway, a head type of which I think Casey made only one or few of.

Thanx to the godz for Casey being consistent in his dimensional standards.

It created a force of nature.

A happy accident if you will.

Its now off on its own and will hopefully have a long life giving joy to who ever owns it in the future.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

MTGuru wrote:

That would suck.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Hey, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Rob
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I couldn't agree more, Doc! Casey is a real nice guy, and he makes some great flutes! Value for tone$dollar, it's really hard to beat his slideless flutes. In fact, I'd have to say he's my favorite flutemaker, since his flutes are the only ones I seem to have more than one of at any given moment. I'm very lucky to have three now. It seems my main weakness is definitely for a Burns Boxwood flute, in just about any model Casey might make one! I've got the new Folk Flute, a Pratten and a low Bb, all with no slide or rings. What they may lack in features and frills (like tuning slides and rings), is by far made up for by their amazing tone and playability-and each is as good as the next, but with a distinct character of its own. Personally, I like the ergonomically offset holes, especially for the upper hand-makes for a very comfortable hand position for me. Besides, Casey's are some of the most aesthetically pleasing flutes to just look at, let alone hold in your hands, and then of course, play. :love:

:thumbsup: Anyway, my hat's off to Master Flutemaker Casey Burns too! Thanks Casey, for the many hours of pleasure you've given me in the playing of your flutes! I hope this finds you well, and with more orders coming in to enable you to keep making these lovely instruments!

Good time to support the independent wooden flutemakers in these tough economic times if you are able to do so, because where would we be without them? I'd hate to think about the prospect of losing any of them, and especially Casey, who's been responsible for helpling new fluters get started on good wooden flutes, simply by having great choices in the lower price ranges. I wouldn't want to be without at least one of Casey's flutes ever-they really are that good! Too bad we don't all have jobs like Doc Jones, who can play as many as he likes! (and in Marbled Halls, no less!) :wink:

Be well, Barry
eilam

Post by eilam »

casey's flutes are so nice to play, and i love the tone, visually, to me, they are among the nicest looking flutes

i really like his keywork (from pictures).

maybe one day i could get one of his beautiful curly boxwood R&R model.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

eilam wrote:casey's flutes are so nice to play, and i love the tone, visually, to me, they are among the nicest looking flutes

i really like his keywork (from pictures).

maybe one day i could get one of his beautiful curly boxwood R&R model.
I agree that they are one the the most beautiful flutes. I love his work, and I prefer his folk flute over many others. I let John Kelly play my folk flute once, and he was blown away. He was so amazed at it. I actually prefer his standard flute over his Rudall though, but they are all great flutes. I am just saving some money to buy a standard flute from him.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan