Scottish tunes on flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Scottish tunes on flute

Post by Jim Troy »

could someone point me to a link , either here on the forum , or maybe Youtube , of Scottish tunes on flute ?

iv'e had a look at Calum Stewart's myspace , and he has a few tunes on the vid at the bottom of his page , but i'd like to see more from the Scottish piping/fiddle style ,

with the Scots snap , and the berl , etc.

i'd particularly like to see the berl .
iain beag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Re: Scottish tunes on flute

Post by iain beag »

You could try searching youtube for Chris Norman, that would be a good place to start.
There are abc collections of music available at Hans Bracker's website soft flute.
I'm assuming when you say "berl" that what you really mean is birl, this is a piping ornament that I'm not sure would work very well on flute.
It is effectively a double tap to the note immediately below the note you are playing, on pipes it would be;
xxxxxxo
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxo
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxo

When pipers do this their right pinkie makes a figure of eight movement although some pipers will just move their finger straight across and back again it depends how they were taught.
There are other variations on the birl as shown above but it would take a lot of explaining.
The scotch snap you mention is called a strathspey and you'll find plenty of them in the collections mentioned above.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I think when Jimmy talks about a 'Scotch snap' he's not talking about a type of tune, but just the rhythm known as a 'Scotch snap', which is, in effect, a semi-quaver followed by a dotted quaver. (There's little more to it, but that's basically it.)
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I always thought Scotch Snap was what happens right after you take a sip. :-?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Kirk B wrote:I always thought Scotch Snap was what happens right after you take a sip. :-?
Careful! Henke will hear...... Then we'll have no peace! :D

Jim, see what recordings you can find by Tannahill Weavers - I think one of their longest serving members is Phil Smillie on flute and whistles. He was actually the first trad wooden fluter I ever saw live, back in about '77 - before I'd even heard of Matt Molloy, I think. Good player! I don't know that he's ever done any solo recording, though - a pity!

From a similar era, there used to be a Scots band called Bully Wee - as a youngster their (excellent) fiddler achieved tangential notoriety as the fiddle player featured in the original film of The Wicker Man - I saw them live a couple of times (as did Ben), but I can't now remember for sure if they included a fluter.... nice music though: I also have no idea if they ever released any albums.

I'd guess Cathal McConnell must have played a fair bit of Scottish music with Boys of The Lough.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed May 27, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:Jim, see what recordings you can find by Tannahill Weavers - I think one of their longest serving members is Phil Smillie on flute and whistles. He was actually the first trad wooden fluter I ever saw live, back in about '77 - before I'd even heard of Matt Molloy, I think. Good player! I don't know that he's ever done any solo recording, though - a pity!
I do have a solo recording of Phil Smillie for WFO4, if anyone can ever get Phil Cunningham to OK the use of his composition. No response to emails, Facebook, MySpace, etc. so if anyone can put me in better touch, and with his father-in-law? (Finlay McRae).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

He is a great player, plays a Eb Hawkes & Sons, or at least he did when I met him 3 years ago in Portland OR.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jmccain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmccain »

kkrell wrote: I do have a solo recording of Phil Smillie for WFO4, if anyone can ever get Phil Cunningham to OK the use of his composition. No response to emails, Facebook, MySpace, etc. so if anyone can put me in better touch, and with his father-in-law? (Finlay McRae).

Kevin Krell
I'd ask at the Footstompin forum:

http://www.footstompin.com/forum?forumid=3
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

had a look at that , thanks jmcain , and then i beat a rapid retreat .

looks more like a slow day , in downtown Kinshasa .
not a place for an elderly , peace loving , flute player .

Kevin , if you just happened to be playing that recording sometime , maybe i could happen to be passing by your window , with my Olympus , which just happens to be in Rec. mode....
just sayin' , like .

(just noticed that link was for Kevin , so Mr.K , be aware that we don't leave anyone on the field , we take our casualties home )
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

Here's a link for a site with a bunch of tunes from various Celtic cultures. There are a lot of Scottish tunes. You can sort by instrument and look at all the flute tunes if you'd like. I have found some very nice tunes here from Scotland and Britanny. Hope it works for you.

http://breizhpartitions.free.fr/en/scotland_scores.php
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
jb

Post by jb »

My favourite's The First Harvest by Flute/Piper Iain MacDonald and Iain MacFarlane on Fiddle.
You can hear some samles on CD Baby.

Jack
kenny

Post by kenny »

I have a few recordings which might interest you, Jim. Drop me a PM.
Kevin - by one of those strange coincidences, my wife and I will be having lunch with Mr & Mrs MacRae on Saturday. :)
Can I ask them anything on your behalf ? - send me a PM. I can get in touch with Phil too, if he's not too busy !
Jem - "Bully Wee", as I recall had a whistle player, certainly, but I don't think the ever had a flute player. I think they made 2 LP recordings, neither of which I have. One may have been called "The Enchanted Lady" - but that's purely from an ageing memory !
Cathal McConnell has recorded quite a few Scottish tunes with "Boys of The Lough", as mentioned above. He turned up at our session in Aberdeen on Monday - playing a storm, as usual.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

Our band has a load of Scottish music for flute.

Johnny Cope
Haughs of Cromdale
5th of November
Lads Amongst Heather
Mary Ma Scotch Bluebell
Robert Burns Selection etc

Pm if you wish any.
'Better to die on your feet than on your knees in a united Ireland'