Can You Keep a Secret?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Can You Keep a Secret?

No. Never. I Have No Self-Control Whatsoever.
3%
No. Even When I Promise Not to Tell.
No votes
No. I Have to Tell at Least One Person, Especially if It's Juicy.
6%
No. Telling My Spouse, Should Still Count as Keeping a Secret but it Doesn't.
No votes
Yes. Telling My Spouse Still Counts as Keeping a Secret.
6%
Yes. But Only if I Promise
3%
Yes. But Only if It Would Hurt Someone.
No votes
Yes. But Only For So Long (So No.)
3%
Yes. I Will Take Many Secrets to My Grave.
37%
Maybe. Depends on Whether it is Work-Related or Personal.
9%
Other, Please Explain.
6%
Other, Some Choice Not Listed.
No votes
I Think mutepointe Likes Having Some Degree of Power Over Us When He Gets Us to Vote.
29%

Total votes: 35

benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can You Keep a Secret?

Post by benhall.1 »

I would always keep a secret. Interestingly, no-one ever tells me any. It sometimes seems to me that people only tell their secrets to people who won't keep them.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

benhall.1 wrote:I would always keep a secret. Interestingly, no-one ever tells me any. It sometimes seems to me that people only tell their secrets to people who won't keep them.
The next time somebody looks like they are just itchin' to talk with me privately for a sec, I'll send 'em off to you! :D :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I know some serious secrets...most of the people involved are dead now.

There could be an interesting book about them, and their days.

Nahh, let the dead rest.

Those days, however interesting, are over now...

Their times deserve mention, in a sense, may they rest in peace...

They will never be forgotten...

If not for them, and their sacrifice...it would be a different world.

Slan,
D. :love:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

benhall.1 wrote:I would always keep a secret. Interestingly, no-one ever tells me any. It sometimes seems to me that people only tell their secrets to people who won't keep them.
Let me walk in your shoes for awhile. I accidently come across private matters and secrets (accidently seeing something, overhearing something, catching a glimpse of something written) that are none of my business. It isn't so bad when no one notices because then it's still a secret. But sometimes an involved party sees that I know. Then I have the bigger dilemma of deciding to tell them that their secret is safe. I usually wait til they ask. I wish people kept their private matters private.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Keeping secrets is pretty much second nature to me. Partly, I think, because of the nature of my job where I know a lot of confidential (and sometimes juicy) information about people that I can't tell anyone (it's a little different than someone "telling me a secret", but the same general idea).

The other reason is, I think, because I grew up with a dad who was both a cop and a priest - both also know sensitive, confidential secrets about people (especially as a priest) and he has been an example of how to keep secrets. I KNOW he knows things about many people - but I have no idea WHAT he knows. And he won't tell.

So keeping a secret is pretty easy. Of course, there are times when a secret should NOT be kept - when someone is at risk for harm - but I don't really get those secrets.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I never tell. But I also, in life, I like to keep enough distance from all but a very few, so I'm not the person most people confide in, as a rule. But, when they do, the secret's safe with me.
rebl_rn wrote:Keeping secrets is pretty much second nature to me. Partly, I think, because of the nature of my job where I know a lot of confidential (and sometimes juicy) information about people that I can't tell anyone (it's a little different than someone "telling me a secret", but the same general idea).
Me too. I know stuff about folks, because of my job, that I truly wish I didn't. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West