Can You Keep a Secret?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Can You Keep a Secret?

No. Never. I Have No Self-Control Whatsoever.
3%
No. Even When I Promise Not to Tell.
No votes
No. I Have to Tell at Least One Person, Especially if It's Juicy.
6%
No. Telling My Spouse, Should Still Count as Keeping a Secret but it Doesn't.
No votes
Yes. Telling My Spouse Still Counts as Keeping a Secret.
6%
Yes. But Only if I Promise
3%
Yes. But Only if It Would Hurt Someone.
No votes
Yes. But Only For So Long (So No.)
3%
Yes. I Will Take Many Secrets to My Grave.
37%
Maybe. Depends on Whether it is Work-Related or Personal.
9%
Other, Please Explain.
6%
Other, Some Choice Not Listed.
No votes
I Think mutepointe Likes Having Some Degree of Power Over Us When He Gets Us to Vote.
29%

Total votes: 35

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can You Keep a Secret?

Post by mutepointe »

There is nothing going on in my life that prompts this question. People just amaze me.

You may choose up to 3 options and you may change your vote.
Last edited by mutepointe on Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Can You Keep a Secret?

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I have kept, and will continue to keep many secrets. Mostly because I have forgotten what people told me. But even if I remembered (which I do sometimes) I wouldn't tell.

Where neurotypicals are concerned, the quotation covers it:

Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It depends. I can, but sometimes I don't. This is one of the promises ("will you do me a favour?" is another) that I never make blind, even though it's often asked blind.

As an example, I used to be part of a group that took a weekly 12 step metting in to a juvenile jail. One of the institution's conditions for letting us in was a rule that if a kid told us that he was holding any alcohol or drugs, or if he told us he planning to escape, we had to let staff know. We were allowed to tell the kids this right up front, so part of the meeting format every week was a warning that this was a groundrule, along with a promise that we'd keep their other secrets. Which we did. It took a long time to for them to trust; they started by testing us, but we kept our word and eventually this became something the veterans would tell the new members. Average stay there was six months, so meeting membership did turn over*.

* There were a few kids there for murder who were there for a lot longer than six months, but those boys didn't come to the meetings.
Last edited by s1m0n on Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I am excellent at keeping secrets. For example, I know that Dale once kicked Cheryl Tiegs out of bed for eating crackers, and I've never told a soul.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

People tell me things that I never wanted to know. They always have.

I keep their secrets; however, I will say that sometimes I think I'd sleep better if I didn't know the secrets in the first place.

Most secrets are either silly or sad; however, a few are truly terrible.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

FJohnSharp wrote:I am excellent at keeping secrets. For example, I know that Dale once kicked Cheryl Tiegs out of bed for eating crackers, and I've never told a soul.
How many times is she going to say she's going to do better and how many times is he going to take her back? Remember when she flipped the pizza on the new Egyptian cotton sheets?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I have always been one of those "kiss and never tell" people about my own personal experiences with women. Those are the most sacrosanct secrets for me. Never was a locker-room talker. Most will go with me to the grave, undescribed, unless I someday think that my life is so damn interesting that I should write it down. Fat chance.

The next level down then, would be those secrets about other people. Basically, you have to watch out for those who take nearly sadistic curiosity insofar as gossiping and trying to pull stuff out of you. Avoid them, no matter how compelling they are, because they might make you crack.

Now that I'm middle-aged, I have come to realize that part of life are the hypocrisies and tendencies that are best left undescribed. No good comes from it even though you can get really frustrated about what people are up to. It's part of the panorama of life.

I think, if you really want to tell other people's secrets, you should put it in a book or short story and work it out that way.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Not tellin'.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

As with most matters I am, on this subject, a situational ethicist.
Maybe this is inherently obvious to people, as never once (that I can recall) has anyone ever entrusted me with a secret so private that he/she felt a need to extract a promise about it.
I have told things I regretted telling, and have kind of learned from that though.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:As with most matters I am, on this subject, a situational ethicist.
I think you would have to be when it comes to secret keeping. Some secrets shouldn't be kept secret, especially if it has to do with someone losing their life or something bad happening to them.

With typical things...just something that people don't want others to know...I don't tell. There's no reason to.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have told things I regretted telling, and have kind of learned from that though.
That's how I learned, as well.

Young people do dumb things; they don't always have the perspective yet to understand just exactly how far-reaching the consequences of some of those things can be.

Of course, in fairness, I've seen plenty of folks who weren't particularly young, who still did (and / or do) dumb things as well, but that's a different story.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think you would have to be when it comes to secret keeping. Some secrets shouldn't be kept secret, especially if it has to do with someone losing their life or something bad happening to them.
Fortunately, I've never faced that particular moral dilemma. In my experience, most people's secrets hinge around either (a) things that they have no reason to know, or (b) sex that they shouldn't be having. I've no reason (or desire) to tell those; I had no reason (or desire) for anyone to tell them to me to start with! :P

--James

-------
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Can You Keep a Secret?
*snip*
□ Yes. But Only if It Would Hurt Someone.
*snip*
I never thought of keeping a secret with the purpose of hurting someone, before.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

mute's a bit odder than you are :D

is okay....part of yer charm

no....both of ya :wink: