The best Video Game ever??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: The best Video Game ever??

Post by MarcusR »

Best game ever all categories, easy :D
ELITE II

Brilliant game and if you are in to computer programming the code of this software will bring tears in your eyes.

The game that I have spent most time playing is Counter Strike :oops:
But I'm cured now :puppyeyes:

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Interesting nominations. I still stick with my Suikoden II for the PSX. The Suikoden games are more popular in Japan than anywhere else I guess and they only had limited releases in the west. But the games have many fans over here too, and because of the limited releases, a used Suikoden I or II for PSX costs at least 5-10 times what it would have cost new, if you can find one that is.

A couple of PC games which I also think are up there among the best are Civilization and Deus Ex, which are both magnificent, ground breaking and very addictive.
For fans of racing, I don't think there has ever been a better game than rFactor. That is just brilliant; as real as it gets, an endless number of add-ons (you can race on almost any track of the world with almost any racing car in the world and play individual seasons of F1, CART, Formula Nippon, Le Mans series, GP2 and all the way down to karting with free add-ons) and it has really good graphics as well.

Funny that no one reacted, I've made two posts already in this thread and never mentioned
whisky :)

I better make up for it here, the reason why I failed to mention the magic word was ironically enough that I had perhaps had bit too much
whisky :tomato:

And yes, it was very nice, the
whisky :party:
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Henke wrote: Funny that no one reacted, I've made two posts already in this thread and never mentioned
That's because video games and whisky don't mix that well, it can easily end on a bad note :o

/M

Edit:
Link to youtube clip removed upon request.

Henke, you might want to edit your quote for the same reason.
Last edited by MarcusR on Mon May 25, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Henke

Post by Henke »

MarcusR wrote:
Henke wrote: Funny that no one reacted, I've made two posts already in this thread and never mentioned
That's because video games and whisky don't mix that well, it can easily end on a bad note :o
*link removed*

/M
eeh. yeah... ok.

Anyyyway, here's another wonderful little game. Not a contender for the best ever, but scoring points for innovation. Jumping Flash for PSX. It's sort of a 1st person shooter, where you play some sort of robotic bunny in some weird cartoon style platform world, your enemies are frogs and turtles and stuff. Here's a video, very nostalgic for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2hukvZ0 ... re=related

But when I used to play that game I was too young to drink
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

There was a game I found on the internet, years ago, which involved rolling cubes around a grid in order to solve the puzzle. The music for it was the best thing about it. If I could remember the name I would nominate it.

The best all-around game, I think, is Worms. (2D) Worms Armageddon is a good, all around, amusing and compelling game. And you can play hot-seat.

In terms of simple RPGs, Diablo. I even prefer Diablo 1, because you can (almost) play it with your eyes shut.

If you want something a little more complicated, and "true to life" (or at least, consistent fantasy world) the Baldur's Gate series is hard to beat. My son took over Baldur's gate 2. I managed to get to the end of Icewind Dale... but not Icewind Dale 2. Never got past the dragon.

Oddly enough I picked up Doom 2 in a garage sale the other day. Son was very pleased, as it means he now has them all.

I am playing a curious French originating game called "Silverfall". I should be able to play it on the net, but I think that bird has flown. It is a little quirky but I think I have its number now - after dying about fifty times. The characters are in French Graphic style, which means the women are absolutely mesmerising. When a character dies, they reappear back at the base in their underwear. This does not encourage you to keep them alive, which is a shortcoming. In its way. It's a bit like Neverwinter Nights. I think Neverwinter Nights is probably the better game, but by gum, the graphics are good on this. (Drool.)

Incidentally, there was an article in the newspaper a while back saying that the idea manufacturers have of lust-crazed geeky gamers is not exactly true. Or at least, if true, the gamers prefer to have their females accurately proportioned and not exaggerated. Silverfall is a good case in point. The dame on the CD cover is, not to put too fine a point on it, exaggerated in one or two respects. But the actual game characters are hard to fault. The article said that Lara Croft has been reproportioned to have more natural proportions, and the Toomb Raider series has improved as a consequence. There were other examples. Of course, that's not what makes a good video game. :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It would be difficult to compare FPS games like Wolfenstein 3D and RPG games like NetHack. Ball and paddle was one of the first games with pong, and continues (in things like Breakout) on because they take 2 seconds to learn and are fun, launched the era of arcades and had one of the first home gaming systems, does that make Pong the best, or just the right game at the right time?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I think it would be more accurate to give the best game in a genre. You can't really compare different genres. But anyway, I think my favorite RTS (Real-time strategy) is definitely Starcraft. My favorite RPG (Role playing game) of all time would be A Bard's Tales (I played on the MAC). Doom is my best FPS (First person shooter).

Overall, the game I played in my teenage years that I still remember the most is Star Control 2. It was such a little gem.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

My favorite game of all time is still the original System Shock. System Shock 2 is pretty good, but I don't think it really matched the original. Deus Ex is also good, though still not as good as SS1, IMO. Pretty much anything by Warren Spector ranks way up there in my book.

Syndicate and Syndicate Wars are also quite good. Molyneux before he got a bit too full of himself. Not to say the Fable games aren't good -- quite the opposite, I love them -- but he's a big high on himself lately, it seems. Actually, he's probably just more excited about the games he's making and talks them up too much.

I'm a huge fan of turn-based squad-based strategy games, too, and I try to get my hands on every single one of those I can. None of them quite touch the Jagged Alliance series, though. I picked up a new one recently that was, I believe, supposed to become Jagged Alliance 3D, but they had the contract pulled. It's called Hired Guns: The New Jagged Edge.

The Baldur's Gate games are quite good, as is Planescape: Torment. The Neverwinter Nights games haven't quite matched the gameplay of those, although multiplayer NWN with a persistent world and competent DMs was some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. I still think fondly of my time in Ameryth.

Favorite multiplayer FPS is, hands down, the original Tribes. Oh man, that game was brilliant and amazingly coded. Silky smooth multiplayer on 14.4 dial-up and new maps and gameplay modes just transferred seamlessly in seconds.

In the "older games" category, I have to agree with others that Elite was amazing. I'm also quite partial to Starflight. EA in their infancy.
Caj

Post by Caj »

Elite is definitely a contender for the best game ever, and it gets my vote. Note that even in our tiny sample, despite thousands of titles spanning a good 3 decades, it already has a plurality.

Other games I'd put in the top include the Ultima series (I'd say it maxed out at Ultima 5, after which it became a disk-swapping graphics fest) and the Zork series. Zork certainly wins in terms of historical influence: there are games that people like, and then there are games that are analyzed as a genre of literature in doctoral dissertations. Although at the time Ultima 5 came out there were several other map-based fantasy hack-and-slash games that did the whole thing better, and with better sound and graphics, e.g. Electronic Arts Legacy of the Ancients, and the sequel Legend of Blacksilver, published by Epyx.

Oh, and let us not forget Space Taxi. Pad four, please.
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

Grand theft Auto 4
Charlotte
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Sopwith 2.

Four colours (counting black).

Buildings that shoot back.

Flying off into the sunset.

It's got it all.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

IB wrote:In terms of simple RPGs, Diablo. I even prefer Diablo 1, because you can (almost) play it with your eyes shut.

If you want something a little more complicated, and "true to life" (or at least, consistent fantasy world) the Baldur's Gate series is hard to beat. My son took over Baldur's gate 2. I managed to get to the end of Icewind Dale... but not Icewind Dale 2. Never got past the dragon.

Oddly enough I picked up Doom 2 in a garage sale the other day. Son was very pleased, as it means he now has them all.
Those were some awesome games. That brings back memories. I was going to download Icewind Dale again last month, but my computer broke. :cry:
cfrederi wrote:Grand theft Auto 4
I did like GTA 4, but I think that 2 was so much fun, and Vice City was my favorite out of the bunch.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Why is it that I suddenly want to play The Oregon Trail.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I.D.10-t wrote:Why is it that I suddenly want to play The Oregon Trail.
:lol: :lol: I was so horrible at that game.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The Whistle Collector wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Why is it that I suddenly want to play The Oregon Trail.
:lol: :lol: I was so horrible at that game.
Looks like someone put it online*

...and updated it for the iPod

(*although I don't remember all of those fancy colors, just a green screen.)