New Soundfiles On Martin Preshaw's Site

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tritaffy
antispam: No

New Soundfiles On Martin Preshaw's Site

Post by tritaffy »

Hi folks , just come across these new sound files on his site :

http://www.unionpipes.co.uk/sounds.htm

Looks like him and Eamonn Dillon are having a good laugh playing. Great music on some great pipes. Anybody know much about Eamonn Dillon as a piper ? I've only been playing about a year and a half so not up on lots of pipers. Anyways enjoy the files especially the big one , I did :D

cheers

Mei
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: New Soundfiles On Martin Preshaw's Site

Post by rorybbellows »

Talk about blowing your own trumpet .I think its good that he should promote his own work ,but I don’t think its fair for him to say most other makers stuff is lacking and as far as his statement that, in his own words.
“ I firmly believe that for the first time in two or three generations that the Irish Uilleann pipes are once again being crafted by an Irishman with unrivalled excellence.”

I’m sure there are a few Irish makers out there that would like to have a little talk with him about that .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

I met another pipemaker at the Johnny Doran tionól who said that there where only 3 pipemakers in the world making good pipes , himself , Cillian O Brien and Andy Fayden. I thought that was a bit of over an overstatement.
sjcavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

wow, not only the cockiness of what was written (which isn't good business-sense), but the fact that after advertising himself as "one of the best pipemakers in the world" he states that he can't accept any more orders....It's like he's boasting.

Hmmmm......

I do believe that I wouldn't buy anything from him after reading that, but they are nice soundfiles.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hiya Fellas,

I usually just read on this forum, as I spend the bulk of my time here on the flute forum. Read and listened to the Preshaw site. I happen to see nothing wrong with what he's written. I think some of us tend to jump the gun when reading things on the Net. I see a man who has high goals for pipes that he plays, and is quite proud with the instruments he creates. There is even some self-deprecation prior to his 'boasting.' He admitted that he has sacrificed aesthetics at times:
I too have been personally guilty of both in the past as I chased the holy grail.
Nothing wrong with being proud of your work. My $0.02.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

My 2 cents -

1) The sound files don't present anything over and above what plenty of others are producing, but you can't judge the quality of pipes on an mp3 file anyway

2) I have no problem with what he writes if viewed from the angle that it represents pure marketing strategy as has been practiced by vendors of any product since time began. A manufacturer can say what he likes about his product and even dare to compare with others' products as long as it doesn't approach libel (and there's plenty of advertising that comes much closer). It's up to the consumer to decide if the claims are viable or not.

3) I was a little tickled by the "oh f***k..." in one of the sound files...
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Irish Marine wrote:Nothing wrong with being proud of your work. My $0.02.
I totally agree,but I dont think you have to disrespect other pipemakers at the same time.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

Whoa let's nip this in the bud. I put this on here just to show some soundfiles nothing more and nothing less. Martin never said " he was the best pipe maker in the world " on his site.

It's Martin's site and he pays for it so can put what he wants and if his books are closed then that speaks volumes. I know he respects other pipemakers . So can we just go back to my original post and like I said just listen to the music because at the end of the day that's why we come here.

Cheers

Mei
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's a nice interview on his website.

I agree with Dave about the soundfiles. There's only one way to judge and that's live. That said, Eamonn Dillon's piping on the soundfiles is top notch.
PJ
mukade

Post by mukade »

He can't be the best in the world.

He doesn't make B pipes.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

There's 2 things that are important re: this thread IMO

1) Eamonn is a unique piper with a lovely approach to playing and the music, altogether.

2) Martin Preshaw is a class individual and a great pipe maker who has earned the stripes to say what he wants. I'd sincerely doubt Martin is claiming to be anything other than what he is: an Irishman who is a great pipe maker.

All the rest of the stuff mentioned is rubbish, pure and simple.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

just listen to the music because at the end of the day that's why we come here.
Okay tritaffy :D The tunes were top notch! Thanks for sharing.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Brazenkaine wrote:There's 2 things that are important re: this thread IMO

1) Eamonn is a unique piper with a lovely approach to playing and the music, altogether.

2) Martin Preshaw is a class individual and a great pipe maker who has earned the stripes to say what he wants. I'd sincerely doubt Martin is claiming to be anything other than what he is: an Irishman who is a great pipe maker.

All the rest of the stuff mentioned is rubbish, pure and simple.
With respect,

I don't think anyone here is questioning Eamonn Dillon's piping.

So 1) is not relevant to the issue.

The issue is with 2) which I also don't think is an issue. I agree with your point. As I said earlier, it's good marketing, is all (regardless of whether or not the vendor has 'earned the right' to say so). It's just that unfortunately the quality of the sound files (not the playing) does not do the claim justice apart from that they sound very nicely in tune. Never judge the tonal quality of pipes from a digital sound sample. But I think Martin Preshaw's fine reputation surpasses the need for sound files anyway.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

With respect...(and not directed at my Brisbane brother-in-piob)

I stand by both my points.

The sound quality of the MP3s are better than most of Ennis' recordings, yet we can still ascertain that Ennis' pipes were great sounding. One can get a very good idea via these clips,just how Martin's pipes sound. If you're hearing them through lap top speakers then it still might be better fidelity than any of the Ennis' home recordings etc. (italicized words are there to prevent a further ridiculous thread)

'Tis true that I've become reserved when publicly commenting/responding to nonsense. Occasionally, I'll get coaxed out of my shell...

The C/F community has a few mouthy members who tend to have way more gob then talent/skill/ears (and em...knowledge). They then attempt to use their keyboard as under-powered light sabers, illuminating little, while simultaneously offering flatulence disguised as radiant declarations . This apparent weariness of the mind might be well incurred by the hopeless swinging about of their own limp lanyards.

Be I, so bold as to speak for those far less adventuresome: The far reaching attempts to coax the ignition of proverbial embers that refuse to be tinder.....will remain..... no matter how much rehashing, thrashing, or resurrecting... forever, tired reading. So much so, that many of C/F's most knowledgeable, experienced, and articulate constituents, who only lurk, find such... just...well.....another reason to remain in their quiescent state.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I think it’s a very good website and the sound files give a good impression of what his pipes sound like .Its true that it is Martins website and he can say on it what he likes ,but that doesn’t mean you have to like what he says . I don’t like that he has disregarded all Irish pipemakers for the last two or three generations
Maybe he’s taking the same approach that Michael O’Leary takes with Ryanair and that all publicity is good publicity even if it is caused by controversy.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .