OT - Looking for experienced backpackers for equipment advic

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi folks -

I'm in the selecting-equipment phase of my upcoming summer trip and am mindboggled by the number of choices for hiking boots, backpacks, bivy sacks etc. I'd like to be able to bounce some items off folks and get feedback as to good brands, things to look for, etc. Especially useful would be females for input on backpacks and boots designed for women.

So if you've got some experience and would be willing to give me some opinions, please drop me a line. I don't have many specific brands picked out yet...I think that's why i need the help. :smile:

Thanks folks!

--Beth
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Beth-- how rugged a trip are you planning? Mountains? Woods walking? How heavy a load will you be carrying?
Unless you are doing very heavy backpacking in very rugged terrain, you don't need really heavy duty boots. Get ones with good lugged Vibram soles and rigid heel counters ( that cuplike part that cradles your heels). Best to shop for boots in a place that specializes in hiking and camping eg EMS. LL Bean has some good ones too. I like to hike with a very light polypropylene liner sock inside a heavier wool sock. Make sure to get your boots well ahead of your trip, and wear them around as much as you can to get them broken in. You DON'T want to do a lot of hiking with new boots. If you seem to want to develop blisters in certain spots, pad those spots ahead of time with moleskin etc. Painful feet can ruin a trip. Take it from your friendly neighborhood foot Doc!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Good advice from Paul. Are you doing light, moderate or heavy hiking; are you likely to be going in water or snow; will you be camping out overnight, i.e., how much stuff do you need to carry? Get boots and a pack to match the answers. I have an old pair of light to medium weight Asolos because I only do pretty light hiking these days. When I was younger I used heavy weight Merrills to climb up Katadin and stuff like that (although I did notice a couple of "old" ladies doing it in sneakers, harumpph.)

Have fun.

Philo
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I agree with all the advice offered, yep. :smile:
Another tip that I learned from horseback riding is to break in boots (and chaps, but that doesn't apply for hiking) by wearing them in the shower. After waterproofing them, of course!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Ava, remember to also pack a simple, light, pair of fabric sneakers or better mocasins with a relatively thick leather sole.
Hiking shoes can make your feet sore, and there are grounds where a light foot is actually more secure.
And, wherever you go, travel light. Don't trek with over 15-to-18 pounds on your back. What you can't carry, you don't really need.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I have 20 years of backpacking experience, mostly in the Appalachians. I can give some equipment suggestions if I know more about what you are planning to do.

You need to give very careful consideration to boots and clothing. Whatever boots you select, be sure to wear them as much as possible before setting out on the trail. It's a mutual adaptation thing. You need to get used to the boots (and locate potential hot spots), and the boots need to get used to you (i.e., broken in). As for clothing, it's an unfortunate fact that cotton is a very poor choice for backpacking because the fibers absorb water (including sweat) like a sponge and take forever to dry out. This is not only uncomfortable but can lead to hypothermia. I.e., you may need a whole new wardrobe for this sport, and that can involve significant expense. Fortunately, places like Walmart and Target do have some items which will work, but one needs to pay very careful attention to the composition of the fabric.

Personally, I take an ultralight approach: the lightest possible backpack which gives adequate support for the load, an ultralight goose down sleeping bag (a controversial choice which works for me), and a bivy sack (with or without a tarp) instead of a tent. To me, an enjoyable hike is far more important than having all the comforts of home.

To put this somewhat on topic, for an ultralight whistle, take a Little Black or a Guiness. :smile:
joeln

Post by joeln »

You might check out a book by Ray Jardine called Beyond Bacpacking. This guy has made an art out of going way lighter than most people can imagine. He and his wife hiked the pacific crest trail with incredibly light packs - 8 1/2 pounds before adding food and water. He talks about every choice one must make food, clothing, shelter... While I personally don't agree with all his trade-offs. It's very enlightening to learn his methods. - Joel
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

No matter what you choose to buy, go to http://www.campmor.com and check the "hotdeals" section. You will save yourself a bundle.
Chris
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Hi!

I have a pair of Vasque medium weight leather hiking boots that I really like. They had very little break-in time (for me anyways) and I've used them for about 13 years and they're still going strong. I don't know about their newer models though. I take a women's size 11 (nobody snicker, now). I hiked all over the Jasper area of Canada with them when they were relatively new, having only taken them on a few short hikes plus wearing them around the house on weekends for a month, and I didn't get any blisters at all.

Of course, I have always packed moleskin on any extended hike, just in case, but I've never needed it with these boots.

My feet are wide toe with narrow heels, so I'm not sure how these boots would work for someone with a more standard woman's foot.

Robin
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Thanks guys. I'm going on a three month trip to Ireland but only the last month of it will be backpacking - for the first 7 weeks or so I will be attending some classes and will be staying in housing. After that, I'll be mostly walking on roads, I imagine, going from town to town when I can't find busses. :smile:

I'm planning on staying at hostels and B&Bs, and so I'm not sure if I will need a sleeping bag - can't use them at most hostels. I don't plan on using campgrounds but I'm considering bringing a bivy in case I can't find a place to spend the night. I haven't figured out the weight of my stuff yet but I'm guessing/aiming for around 40 pounds. I've talked with WyoBadger a bit on advice because I'm pretty new at this stuff, and have worked out a list of what I want to bring - now I have to start choosing what to buy. Since the selection here is pretty slim, I'll probably have to wait till I go to REI in early March, but I'd like to have a few good brands in mind.

As far as a pack goes, I'm looking for an internal frame with a sleeping bag compartment, and preferably one with a detachable day- or hip-pack. I don't want the bag to go really high above my shoulders, and the less bulky the better, so I'm not smacking into people :smile:

Can anyone suggest good rainpants, too, and how much are they supposed to cost?? I only saw two pairs (goretex) at my local stores and they were $125 and $170. Is that typical?
rbm

Post by rbm »

I would go for goretex socks, the climate in Eire is similar to here in the Lakes, and its only called the lakes due to state of the roads! nothing worse than wet feet - 6 weeks of so off walking your boot proofing will be getting thin.
I spent 3 months up above narvik in the Norwiegian arctic and they were my best buy!!
Richard
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

yes, high price typical for Goretex. It's good, but expensive, and you still do perspire in them. Also, it's a high care, fragile stuff.
To save price, and weight, why don't you get simple nylon rainpants ?
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Are those good enough for constant rain?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Ava,

Remember to wear layers. 3-4 layers of clothing traps more air next and keeps you warmer, and allows you to add or subtract a layer to adjust temperature through the day. You build up a lot of body heat walking, even in the rain, and it's no good sweating under a thick jumper. Keep things thin. Have fleecy gloves that dry quickly, you may still need them on a wet day in August.

One fleece is a good idea. You can get very lightweight but warm fleeces these days, that aren't too bulky. They wash easily & dry quickly, and can double as a pillow in an emergency.

Take your MD & a small mike. You'll be wanting to record tons of stuff, but be discreet and ask if you can record.

Irish roads come in three types, local, regional & national. Local roads can be little better than sheep tracks or so it would seem. On regional & national, you can get lifts easily. Regional are lavelled R, national N (e.g I wish I back was on the N17). Irish drivers (& tourists) are more easygoing, and I think you'll find it easier getting lifts than in England. Most roads aren't going to have a sidewalk, but national roads they have a kind of overtaking lane on the left, which sometimes people pull over & stop in for hikers.

Roadsigns are going to show distances in Kilometers, 16km = 10 miles. Speed restriction signs are still in miles per hour, I think. This is Ireland we're talking about.

Irish currency is now the Euro, but in England we still have pounds.
£1 pound = $1.6 dollars = €1.5 Euro approximately (today's prices).

Can't say enough how much you need to have your boots broken in before you go.

Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Thanks Martin! Local info like that will be a big help.

Care to pop over to Ireland for a weekend this summer? :smile: