Midwest Fleadh 2009

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Midwest Fleadh 2009

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I'm planning on coming out to the Fleadh in Dearborn, MI, staying with Dave Bowen in Ann Arbor. Hope to have some tunes with some of you in May!

Cheers,

Michael
feadog39

Re: Midwest Fleadh 2009

Post by feadog39 »

It's always stumped me as to why for as long as i've been involved with irish music (going on 15 years now) that the midwest fleadh has NEVER been hosted in CHICAGO. Nothing against detroit or st. louis, but, hello, there's alot of ITM taking place in Chicago. And last time I checked there's a farily significant irish-american population...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Where does one stay in Chicago that doesn't cost lots and lots?
Not a rhetorical question. Man have we been burned.
Last edited by jim stone on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpmccabe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dpmccabe »

feadog39 wrote:It's always stumped me as to why for as long as i've been involved with irish music (going on 15 years now) that the midwest fleadh has NEVER been hosted in CHICAGO. Nothing against detroit or st. louis, but, hello, there's alot of ITM taking place in Chicago. And last time I checked there's a farily significant irish-american population...
I think this had a lot to do with there not being a Comhaltas branch in Chicago that had their act together enough to hold a Fleadh. Detroit IMA and SLIA have done well hosting since they're relatively large and well-organized.

But now that we've got Sean Cleland's branch, a Chicago Fleadh might happen in the near future.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yeah, it's not the musicians or other competitors. It's their parents, grandparents and spouses you really have to worry about accommodating. :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

uh....as I recollect.....the fleadh was ALWAYS in Chicago until 1992 or 1993 when it went to St. Louis for the first time.
Helen Gannon at the St. Louis Irish Arts was instrumental in getting it there.
But previous to that....the fleadh had only been in Chicago year after year.

The idea was to begin moving it around and around.
I remember competing in St. Louis that first time.....then in Cleveland.
It has hit Detroit thereafter (and again this year).....

so.....as you can see.....it's been moving about SINCE you've been paying attention.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Thanks for the history lesson, David. I started playing in 1993 so I guess i missed out. So the idea was to "move it around and around"? As in between St. Louis and Detroit only? No doubt various turf wars are going on here. Typical of ITM.
Brendan
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

doubtless it will never come to Indianapolis - where we have all of 2 sessions to choose from... ; P

Honey - get me another Bud... where's my clicker?

Deisman
I'm on it...
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

feadog39 wrote:Thanks for the history lesson, David. I started playing in 1993 so I guess i missed out. So the idea was to "move it around and around"? As in between St. Louis and Detroit only? No doubt various turf wars are going on here. Typical of ITM.
That's pretty cynical and definitely wrong.

Trolling (like you!) back through history, we see that:
2009-2008 Detroit
2007-2005 St Louis
2004-2003 Cincinnati (well, across the river in KY)
2002-1999 Detroit
1998 Oak Lawn, IL (!!!!)
1996-1995 Cleveland
1994-1993 St Louis

I can't find info, but I'm assuming for 1997 it was also in Oak Lawn.

So I think you need to retract your words and apologize to all the musicians in Chicago, St Louis and Detroit that you just insulted and slandered.

Deisman, it's not about having sessions. You need to have a Comhaltas branch, and it needs to be big enough to have enough volunteers, supporters, and money to run the Fleadh. It's tiring work and there's tons to do.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

good stuff, Nico

I lost sight of it after the first Detroit year as I wasn't involved teaching any longer of students who competed.
I'd forgotten it was in St. Louis back-to-back years before Cleveland.
As I recall I competed in St. Louis the first year (for sure)....
and Cleveland that first year (I was living in Detroit and drove down).

I went to the evening concerts/sessions in Detroit the first year, but did not compete (I was done doing that by then).

It looks like they've taken up the All-Ireland methodology of keeping the competition in the same city for two years (always like that or just lately?)

St. Louis has a very strong Comhaltas that's quite active. The Gannon family are huge in the organization, here and in Ireland. They've had a few All-Ireland winners (including a former student of mine, which is pretty satisfying).

Funny thing....one day it should "go west" and land in San francisco or some such since they're all part of the "mid-west" for the purposes of this fleadh.

p.s.
the 93 fleadh (my first) was the year I met and competed against Larry Nugent....and lost to him on flute by one point. That was a sobering day, to say the least. Still, it's a pretty silver medal.
I think it was in Cleveland that I met Bret Lipshultz (sp?) from Milwaukee, a fine fluter. That year I took 1st in flute and 2nd on miscellaneous (played my fife like a banjo with tons of triplets....so said the adjudicator).
Never did get to Ireland, though. Good thing, too. I'd have had to face Paul McGlinchey! :shock:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

So are the 2009 results up yet anywhere?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

It's in Chicago next year; the Murphy-Roche Comhaltas branch is hosting.

This year was grand and the Detroit IMA put on a well-run event and a great weekend.

I think I recall something about results being posted within a couple of weeks.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Weeks? :o

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If it helps, California was well-represented from what I saw -- a fellow named George Grasso took second in Senior flute; Joey Abarta was first in Senior pipes; George Grasso's student was second in Concert Flute under 18, and a California express named Theo won Senior Fiddle.

I missed all the whistle stuff, unfortunately -- I'd become enthralled by the shootout in the 12 & Under Fiddles.

Nico was second in Senior Pipes and first in Duets alongside the lovely & brilliant Allison Perkins; he also played splendid flute in the Detroit IMA Ceili band, which qualified, too -- Nico rawks!!! :-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Joey Abarta was first in Senior pipes
Oh no, now I'm never going to hear the end of this! He's going to want extra pints, and expect us to learn a bunch of weird noodly tunes. :lol:

Thanks, Cathy!