thesession abc??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

thesession abc??

Post by chrisp »

Sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone explain how http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/901 works? I don't understand ABC, can it be translated to something i can listen to? If so, can someone explain how??

thanks Chris
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: thesession abc??

Post by plunk111 »

If you're a Mac person, I'd suggest getting Barfly (http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/) - it can play and translate to dots for you...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
TunelessJoe

Post by TunelessJoe »

-------------------------------------
dangerously inexperienced
i use a safety cord in case I slip on a jig and swallow my whistle
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Just copy and paste the ABC into here

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

and you can get the dots and a printable PDF
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Or, if you happen to be a member of thesession.org, just download and play the midi file.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

ABC is the "formal" way of writing dots using the alphabet.

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html will give you some PDF and some MIDI, and that works.
You may also consider using some desktop software. AbcNavigator is fast, lightweight, and is really good in making these ABC midis that sound like music. AbcExplorer has more support for weird warts of notation (like multivoicing) and makes more "nice-looking" PDFs for print.

BarFly is a poor man's choice for mac users, don't use it unless you're one of those.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

benhall.1 wrote:Or, if you happen to be a member of thesession.org, just download and play the midi file.
No, don't!!!
Midis from TSO are the worst abc midis I've ever heard.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I do find AbcNavigator convenient, but the "music" it produces leaves a lot to be desired. The strong emphasis (increased volume) on the first note of each bar is annoying, and the rhythm rendering is mechanical. AbcMus is a lot better in its interpretation of rhythm. I think it is the best abc software to listen to. But it lacks producing scores.
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

breqwas wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Or, if you happen to be a member of thesession.org, just download and play the midi file.
No, don't!!!
Absolutely, I didn't know it was humanly possible to kill so many wonderful tunes. If you want to hear them properly, check the dicography and listen to accomplished artists playing. Or, if you can't read music (and there are Irish musicians out there who curse dots) and you have a very tame session nearby, ask a couple of the more accomplished musicians to play it for you.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

breqwas wrote:
No, don't!!!
You're right, of course. But then, I'd never ever learn a tune for a midi of any kind. I tend to pick them up in sessions.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

chrisp wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone explain how http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/901 works? I don't understand ABC, can it be translated to something i can listen to? If so, can someone explain how??

thanks Chris
Chris, do you understand how to play from the sheet music thesession.org also provides in one of the tabs for the tune? (OMG, the MIDI file is horrible!). Since it's transcribed from Paul McGrattan's playing on his CD "The Frost is All Over", maybe you can find a copy of that?

OK, found it:
Claddagh has an audio clip starting with 45 seconds from it, track 3 (which is basically all the parts anyway), so yes you can listen to it.

http://claddaghrecords.com/WWW/catalog/ ... ucts_id=39

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org