How LOTR Should Have Ended

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

How LOTR Should Have Ended

Post by WyoBadger »

I think this possibility has been discussed before, but I just came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU

Makes a heckuva lot of sense, doesn't it?

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: How LOTR Should Have Ended

Post by peeplj »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was hilarious...

"Can you imagine...if we had walked the whole way?!? One of us might have died...." :D

--- o --- O --- o ---

[serious Tolkien mode]
Just one problem...you cannot just throw away, or be made to just throw away a Ring of Power. Frodo would have never been able to release the Ring, unless Gandalf made him, and Gandalf, being Gandalf, couldn't ever do that.
[/serious Tolkien mode]

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

May I confess, in writing, that the love people have for the LOTR books (& movies) is a mystery to me? I absolutely don't get it.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Well then...what was the plan? No one knew Gollum would fortuitously show up. I read the book a million years ago in high school, and maybe it addressed the problem, but eventually the not-able-to-let go was going to be a problem regardless of method of transport.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Dale wrote:May I confess, in writing, that the love people have for the LOTR books (& movies) is a mystery to me? I absolutely don't get it.
You may. Confess.
I think it's a form of deep literary escapism, such as has rarely been created in modern times.
People love Harry Potter too, and imagine themselves in that world, but because it is written at a more elementary reading level the series does not lend itself to the level of seriousness that devotees feel for LOTR.
With LOTR, I think--and I don't mean this condescendingly, I think it's true--that it adds an element of greater desirability that the story is a little dense and plodding at times (to the casual reader, anyway.) If you are such a true follower that you revere not only the main 4 books, but the related esoterica as well--The Silmarillion, in particular--then you are part of a club that, well, won't have me for a member anyway, because I found that particular book about as exciting as reading 25 copies of Numbers and Leviticus. To love them means you've worked harder, delved deeper, gone where not just everyone can go. Thus, you are privy to a certain subset of arcane trivia which almost everyone knows about, but few actually know.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dale wrote:May I confess, in writing, that the love people have for the LOTR books (& movies) is a mystery to me? I absolutely don't get it.
Have you read them?

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

emmline wrote:Well then...what was the plan? No one knew Gollum would fortuitously show up. I read the book a million years ago in high school, and maybe it addressed the problem, but eventually the not-able-to-let go was going to be a problem regardless of method of transport.
There was no plan, as such. There was a kind of...faith...if I may use the word. A conviction that it's better to try and fail than not to try at all. A statement that illogical hope is still hope. A hope that if you do all you can, maybe it will be enough, even if it doesn't seem possible.

--James

-------
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

peeplj wrote:
Have you read them?

--James
I read half of Lord of the Rings. I misplaced the copy I was reading and months later I was saying to myself, hey, I was reading that Lord of the Rings book. I wonder what happened to it? This would have been, I guess, 1978 or 1979. Some years later I read the first few chapters of The Hobbit.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

emmline wrote:
You may. Confess.
I think it's a form of deep literary escapism, such as has rarely been created in modern times.
People love Harry Potter too, and imagine themselves in that world, but because it is written at a more elementary reading level the series does not lend itself to the level of seriousness that devotees feel for LOTR.
With LOTR, I think--and I don't mean this condescendingly, I think it's true--that it adds an element of greater desirability that the story is a little dense and plodding at times (to the casual reader, anyway.) If you are such a true follower that you revere not only the main 4 books, but the related esoterica as well--The Silmarillion, in particular--then you are part of a club that, well, won't have me for a member anyway, because I found that particular book about as exciting as reading 25 copies of Numbers and Leviticus. To love them means you've worked harder, delved deeper, gone where not just everyone can go. Thus, you are privy to a certain subset of arcane trivia which almost everyone knows about, but few actually know.
Thanks.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

You may. I don't care for them, either. Maybe I find them pretentious.

Anyhoo . . . I ran into this yesterday, and while I find it somewhat infantile, I can't help thinking this had to be the funniest thing I've seen.

"How Braveheart should have ended."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoVxbutl8g
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

peeplj wrote: Just one problem...you cannot just throw away, or be made to just throw away a Ring of Power. Frodo would have never been able to release the Ring, unless Gandalf made him, and Gandalf, being Gandalf, couldn't ever do that.
Sam managed to give it up voluntarily. Bilbo did, too, although he got a bit of a nudge.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

A friend of mine,years ago, would beg me to read LOTR. She did this for years. The first time she mentioned the books I asked "what's it about?" She told me." Nah, I don't like fantasy, science fiction or what ever that is." Finally, she wore me down in a bookstore and I bought the Hobbit and LOTR. I loved them all! OF course it gave her the opportunity to say"I told you so". :oops:
What really captivated me was the depth of imagination it took to not only write the stories, but also create a language, alphabet,and music for the tunes.

(at one time I was really into the stuff,books about the books, the Hildebrandt?? calendars-I even tried to read the Silmarillion-tried being the main word here)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

mamakash wrote:
You may. I don't care for them, either. Maybe I find them pretentious.
No genre is for everyone.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I read and enjoyed the books. I saw and enjoyed the movies. I wouldn't go to a LOTR convention but if I had a bazillion dollars, I would order up a hobbit house as a vacation cabin.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:I read and enjoyed the books. I saw and enjoyed the movies. I wouldn't go to a LOTR convention but if I had a bazillion dollars, I would order up a hobbit house as a vacation cabin.
I think this has been linked before, but here you go:
http://www.simondale.net/house/