A little rant about Dunkin Donuts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A little rant about Dunkin Donuts

Post by gonzo914 »

Go to the grocery store and get a couple of tubes of those biscuits that come 10 to a can in the dairy section. You don't need Pilsbury; those cheap store brand one will be just fine.

Take a pot and fill it with a couple of inches of oil and heat it on the stove. Medium high ought to do it.

Poke a hole in each biscuit and drop them in the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time. Turn when it looks like the bottom is getting brown.

Pull them out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.

While they are still hot, drop a few into a brown paper sack into which you have put some sugar and cinnamon and shake well.

Grab some milk and hit those doughnuts until the blues go 'way.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
missy

Post by missy »

Dunkin Donuts coffee is made by Folgers, which is now owned by Smuckers.

Just for clarification.

I don't "do" donuts. Now give me a beignet from Cafe' DuMonde and I'll be in heaven......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

gonzo914 wrote:Go to the grocery store and get a couple of tubes of those biscuits that come 10 to a can in the dairy section. You don't need Pilsbury; those cheap store brand one will be just fine.

Take a pot and fill it with a couple of inches of oil and heat it on the stove. Medium high ought to do it.

Poke a hole in each biscuit and drop them in the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time. Turn when it looks like the bottom is getting brown.

While they are still hot, drop a few into a brown paper sack into which you have put some sugar and cinnamon and shake well.

Wow. Only thing is, I have trouble pouring that much oil into a pan. Not fry-minded, I guess. Do you buy big jugs of oil at Costco or something?
I just have little stupid 32oz bottles of canola and olive oil.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

mutepointe wrote:Is there a pastry besides cheesecake and baklava worth eating? I hadn't noticed.
Get ye to a good Italian bakery and buy some sfogliatelle:

warm 'em up in the oven (not microwave!) and enjoy a little bit of heaven...

I rarely eat donuts-- although I have a pretty iron stomach, they're the one thing that nearly always gives me nasty heartburn.
In recent years, the DnD proliferation around here has gotten out of hand. In several cases you can LITERALLY stand at the front door of one and see the next one just a bit down the road. It's amazing that they can all stay in business with all the competition from other DnD...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

emmline wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Go to the grocery store and get a couple of tubes of those biscuits that come 10 to a can in the dairy section. You don't need Pilsbury; those cheap store brand one will be just fine.

Wow. Only thing is, I have trouble pouring that much oil into a pan. Not fry-minded, I guess. Do you buy big jugs of oil at Costco or something?
I just have little stupid 32oz bottles of canola and olive oil.
Don't use the big dutch oven. Use one of the medium-sized sauce pans. You don't need a gallon of oil; just enough to float the doughnuts. Wait until that 32 oz. bottle is about half empty, use the oil, then let it cool and pour it back in for next time.

I would state that I don't make these very often because they will make your coat shine, but when I do, I make them once a week for about three weeks, at which point the oil is getting a little tired.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

s1m0n wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:I remember when they used to bake the doughnuts fresh in the oven every morning...
Baked??? Real donuts are fried!
I always liked the cake-like ones that they baked; the fried ones made me feel fat. :lol:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

gonzo: thanks for the recipe. i've heard this and always thought it was an urban folk legend.

brewerpaul: that looked nice.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Donut locale of the world: Rhode Island.

Favorite donut place in Rhode Island: Sip n Dip in Bristol. Favorite donut place in Calaforny, Dream Fluff in Berkeley.

I can't eat donuts any more. It would probably be better for the collected diabetes-prone America if donut places disappeared for good.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote: It would probably be better for the collected diabetes-prone America if donut places disappeared for good.
I know. Sad.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Never been that crazy about donuts, but for your basic Krispy Kreme glazed, warm & fresh.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dale wrote:Never been that crazy about donuts, but for your basic Krispy Kreme glazed, warm & fresh.
Yessir. Krispy Kreme is the very Devil. :twisted:

(A warm, delicious, sugar-sweet Devil!) :party: :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Several years back, here in DnD country they opened up the first Krispy Kreme. You would have thought it was the second coming of the messiah. People lined up in their cars for like a quarter mile. They had to put extra cops on duty to control traffic, and this went on for about 3 weeks until everyone in the NY Capital District had a chance to try these donuts.. My wife and I were coming home past that area one night after midnight so we were able to get in pretty easily, although there were still a lot of people there.
Then the brouhaha died down, their business slowed dramatically, and within a coupla years the store closed...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I know a kid a bit obsessed with Krispy Kreme. He says he can tell by the sign in the window when they're cooking doughnuts. He also says he knows the delivery route schedule (this I could believe, I don't know about the sign in the window business.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:I know a kid a bit obsessed with Krispy Kreme. He says he can tell by the sign in the window when they're cooking doughnuts. He also says he knows the delivery route schedule (this I could believe, I don't know about the sign in the window business.)
It's true. There's a neon sign in the window which says "hot doughnuts." If it's turned on, they've recently come out of the cooking machine thingy.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

the world's most perfect pastry: pain au chocolat, fresh from a little bakery in Beauvais. I would fly to France on Icarus wings to have them.