Star Trek

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Star Trek

Post by izzarina »

Dale wrote:awesomenity.
I totally dig that word.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

izzarina wrote:
I totally dig that word.
Thanks for passing on your diggerity.

(Hm. If the word wasn't already is use, I'd have gone with "dignity")
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Dale wrote:
izzarina wrote:
I totally dig that word.
Thanks for passing on your diggerity.

(Hm. If the word wasn't already is use, I'd have gone with "dignity")
If you had used a hyphen, it would have totally been useable. Dig-nity. I think it works. But diggerity has it's own awesomenity, so it's all good.

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Dignocity.
Diggerity.
Condigulation.
emmline

Post by emmline »

digglyness.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Digalicious in its digeriffic digocity, man! Dig it?

Hmmm... perhaps I am a generation too far removed...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

anniemcu wrote:Hmmm... perhaps I am a generation too far removed...
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Yeah. Loved it.

Highlights:
1. The revival of the old theme song at the end. (on strings rather than a theramin, but those things always sort of creeped me out anyway)
2. The background buildings etc. already mentioned by Dale: A lot of thought went into making the setting complex and believable.
3. The punk-rocker Romulans. I always thought they looked a bit too civilized in TNG.
4. Revival of many of the classic lines, without being too heavy-handed about it: "It is not logical." "Dammit captain, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" "I'm givin' her all she's got, sir!" All these provoked laughter and a few cheers in the theater.
5. I didn't pick up on any moral or agenda, something I got rather tired of in TNG. Just a fun story well-told.
6. Attempts were made to follow the laws of physics. The first scene, when the crew member gets sucked through the hull breach, and everything goes silent. The ships actually maneuvered in battle (rather than relying completely on shields), and were sometimes even upside down or sideways from one another, another thing that always bugged me about TNG. Again, that sort of low-key attention to detail made the whole thing almost believable.
7. Seeing Kirk, in all his politically incorrect glory, played by someone who can actually act. :thumbsup:

A few Bummers:
1. The whole time-travel plot twist is overused in sci fi and, in my opinion, very tired and unoriginal.
2. Everybody knows that Kirk grew up on a ranch in Idaho, not a farm in Iowa. Alternate reality, I know, but still. Travesty.
3. The opening scene, which even I thought was rather touching, provoked serious tears from my very-pregnant wife. :cry: She enjoyed the rest, though.

All in all, a great flick. I wouldn't mind seeing it again if the opportunity arises.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

WyoBadger wrote:6. Attempts were made to follow the laws of physics. The first scene, when the crew member gets sucked through the hull breach, and everything goes silent. The ships actually maneuvered in battle (rather than relying completely on shields), and were sometimes even upside down or sideways from one another, another thing that always bugged me about TNG. Again, that sort of low-key attention to detail made the whole thing almost believable.
I'll have to watch it again but one thing I recall was the lack of sound in space - much like they did with Firefly/Serenity. In fact, during the Kirk, Sulu & redshirts' "drop", you notice a lack of sound as they fall until they enter the atmosphere. Very cool.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

WyoBadger wrote:2. Everybody knows that Kirk grew up on a ranch in Idaho, not a farm in Iowa. Alternate reality, I know, but still. Travesty.
If I recall right, Kirk was always from Iowa. In a scene from Star Trek IV, Gillian asks Kirk, "Let me guess, you're from outer space?". Kirk responds, "No, I am from Iowa, I only work in space."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Highlights:
1. The revival of the old theme song at the end. (on strings rather than a theramin, but those things always sort of creeped me out anyway)
I've been interested in electronic music since there was electronic music, basically, and so for years I was sort of fascinated by the theremin and then, finally, one day I said to myself, "Listen to the damn things! They sound awful."
6. Attempts were made to follow the laws of physics. The first scene, when the crew member gets sucked through the hull breach, and everything goes silent. The ships actually maneuvered in battle (rather than relying completely on shields), and were sometimes even upside down or sideways from one another, another thing that always bugged me about TNG.

A few Bummers:
1. The whole time-travel plot twist is overused in sci fi and, in my opinion, very tired and unoriginal.
Yeah, that was a strain, although it did set up a situation where they can deviate from the ST "canon." Interestingly, another J.J. Abrams project, your "Lost" program on the TV, is all about the time travel, alternate time line deal.
2. Everybody knows that Kirk grew up on a ranch in Idaho, not a farm in Iowa. Alternate reality, I know, but still. Travesty
I believe this to be untrue. I believe it was Iowa. No?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Riverside, Iowa

March 22, 2233
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Denny wrote:Riverside, Iowa

March 22, 2233
Not familiar with that part of Iowa, but apparently there is a deep conyon that runs through the area. :really: That was my only questionable (to date) scene.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

fearfaoin wrote:Dignocity.
Diggerity.
Condigulation.
Diggitude.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Denny wrote:Riverside, Iowa

March 22, 2233
Not familiar with that part of Iowa, but apparently there is a deep conyon that runs through the area. :really: That was my only questionable (to date) scene.
not sayin' the writer read his bio, or had any idea of Iowa/Idaho :lol:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/l ... 12496.html