What preparations to make before hand?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
caedmon
antispam: No

What preparations to make before hand?

Post by caedmon »

For the sake of this question, assume the following:
1. I am a drummer.
2. The only wind instrument I play right now is the harmonica.
3. I have zero experience with fingered wind instruments like tin whistles and chanters.

What preparations should I make before attempting to learn the UPs?

I would note that I don't own a set, yet. I like to do my research long before purchasing such items, since I have seen their prices can be fairly high in respect to my budget.

Would learning the tin whistle first be of help?
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: What preparations to make before hand?

Post by PJ »

Learning the tin whistle would do no harm. It would help you get a feel for the music, its phrasing and some of the ornamentations you would use as a piper. The fingering of a chanter is different from that of a tin whistle. Even the grip is different.

However, the best thing to do would be to find a piper and ask to try out their pipes.
PJ
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

The elements learned on the tin whistle will transfer well to the pipes (even the basic fingering knowledge will help, though not identical to the chanter). If you are in a position of waiting for the pipes for a bit then I don't think there's anything better you could do with your time besides learning the whistle.

That said, I'm just getting onto the pipes myself and am far from an expert on them. The advice above has been shared with me by every piper I've run into.

Besides the pre-piping benefits, the whistle also makes a nice practice chanter. Given the nature of the pipes, there are likely to be times when your chanter is out for a new reed, key additions, etc. and the whistle will allow you to keep playing and learning tunes in the absence of your chanter.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

And if you do start playing a tin whistle, start using pipers' grip. Works great even on a small D whistle and will get you ready to use. Just search the term here and you'll find what we're talking about. Also, listen to lots and lots of piping CD's.
carel

Post by carel »

and to start with
call this instrument by its name
so not "UPs?"
but
uilleann pipes
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

First, gather as many pipe recordings as you can, and listen, listen, listen. Solo and ensemble recordings are both helpful. After you listen, listen some more. Learning the discipline of listening will be of immeasurable aid if you want to play the pipes. At regular intervals, remind yourself that you are not an expert, and just keep plugging away (learning humility early in your journey will prepare you to wrestle this beast). I also concur with the previous recommendation regarding the whistle...it's cheap, will be a part of the music you learn for the pipes, and will get you into the habit of regular, consistent practice.

--Blake

PS--I am not an expert.
markat23dotcom

Post by markat23dotcom »

One of the great benefits of learning the whistle will be knowing a few tunes before you ever put your hands on the pipes. Some people can learn tunes by ear right off the bat, and for some it takes a while to develop the skill. You need to be able to learn tunes by ear to learn the pipes.
Mark Swartz
Sydney, Australia
markat23dotcom

Post by markat23dotcom »

I should mention: I am a drummer, and a piper. And an expert.
Mark Swartz
Sydney, Australia
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

carel wrote:and to start with
so not "UPs?"
but
uilleann pipes
What ... You mean it's not "The Uilleanns"? :twisted:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

What preparations should one make before attempting to learn the UPs?

well, first + foremost, check out if one's medical coverage includes things like,
Self-inflicted wounds,
Group therapy,
AA sessions.
A good perscription plan,
you know, just the usual... :D

Reading music would be very helpful, but in the opinion of some, not nessecary.

As has been said, learning some rudimentary woodwind like whistle, or recorder would also be very helpful;

As well as learning some Uilleann 'starter' tunes on the aforementioned rudimentary woodwind instrument, using 'correct' Uilleann fingering, (even if said uilleann fingering dosent sit well on the instrument in question,)

Listening to and getting to know actual Uilleannists (HA! howdja like that one comrades :party: ) live and in -person is invaluable, sitting in at sesiuns, workshops, anything haveing remotely to do with UP's.

In short, just stick a foot into the broth and wiggle it round. :) Good luck.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MTGuru wrote:
carel wrote:and to start with
so not "UPs?"
but
uilleann pipes
What ... You mean it's not "The Uilleanns"? :twisted:
naah, , they're out on Long Island.
:party:
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

PJ wrote:However, the best thing to do would be to find a piper and ask to try out their pipes.
Before you can start to play at all you have to learn to be able - at least to some extent and sometimes - to bring your set in a "playable condition" that is to bring the reed in the right "pressure condition". The only way to gain this knowledge is contact with other pipers and tying out their pipes first. A whistle is very helpful but it does play at the North Pole, in the Sahara and in the Amazonas djungle without any changes. All you have to do is buy it in a shop and it will stay in a playable condition forever. This will NOT be the case with a bellows-blown reed. Even (for example) if you happen to play outside in summer evenings you soon will face problems. Pipes are a "know-how" instrument and not a "buy-and-forget-about" instrument.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I know pipers who can't play the whistle and whistle players who can't play the pipes.If ye want to learn how to play the pipes then get a set. If ye get a decent one and it doesnae work oot then ye can sell it on.Your gonna have to start sometime and the sooner ye get on wi it the better.Having zero experience is the best way to start because ye are not coming wi preconceived ideas or habits to unlearn even some of the whistle habits would have to be unlearned.:wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I feel like I just answered this question on thesession.org. I'll say the same thing here. I'd recommend learning the whistle while you wait for a set of pipes because you can learn the tunes. If you already have tunes in your head, it is one less thing to have to deal with when you're trying to sort out piping technique. Depending on how lucky you are or how proactively you look for a set or what sort of set you want, it may be a good while before you acquire pipes. Might as well learn some tunes. Also, some techniques -- not all, as Liam said -- do transfer over.

And them, you will play the whistle! You may be in situations where you want to play something, i.e. crowded sessions, rafting trips, mountain climbs, traveling, traffic jams, it could go on and on, but don't want to be arsed dealing with a set of pipes.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Immerse yourself in the music of the pipes, their players and watch a lot of video of the instrument being played if you cannot be in the company of living pipers.

Keep asking questions.

They aren't at all easy to learn, but damn, they sure are worth it.