Flute stand vs flute case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute stand vs flute case

Post by Thalatta »

Hi, I've seen pictures of great flute players and makers with their flutes standing vertically on a flute stand, rather than taken apart and stored in the flute case. I always take my flute apart and put it back in the case, but is this necessary? Could I buy a flute stand and leave the flute out in the sitting room, standing on the stand or will that damage the flute? Any ideas? S.
Thalatta
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flute stand vs flute case

Post by Henke »

Not such a good idea for long term storage of wooden flutes. Polymer ones will work obviously.
I wouldn't do it because my home is too dry for the flute, I humidify the case slightly.
You may not have this problem, but if your joints are cork lined, the cork will compress and the joints will become loose over time. Also, the joints may swell, stick and crack if moisture gathers at the joints.
I would use flute stands for gigs and similar, but not for storage. It's a shame because it would be lovely to be able to display the flutes like that.

They would be standing right next to my collection of
whisky :)
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep! it's not a vs. kinda thing

It's the place between:
in the case
and
being played
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hi, Thalatta,

With a Boehm flute, I use what is known as a peg, on which the flute can stand, vertically, and because the Boehm flute is made of metal, it's possible to leave it assembled for long periods of time, without damaging the flute.

However, flutes made of wood have other considerations. For instance, most wood flutes are made in sections, and the sections are connected to each other by means of tenons and mortices, or sockets. Moreover, the tenons are usually wrapped with either thread or cork, and for reasons which otherwise amount to a long explanation, it is much better for a wood flute to be taken apart when not in use, and then stored in separate pieces.

What kind of flute are you playing, metal or wood?
Last edited by Cork on Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks for your replies, guys, that's very helpful. I play a 19th century Thomas Prowse cocuswood flute with 8 nickel silver keys, and I love it, so I wanted tobe able to have it on a stand - but not if that means it will crack.

My suspicion was that it would become damaged over time on a stand; yet, I have seen numerous pictures of great fluteplayers in their sitting rooms with a few different flutes on stands near the wall behind them. So I was curious..

Thanks again. S.
Thalatta
Cork

Post by Cork »

Thalatta wrote:...My suspicion was that it would become damaged over time on a stand...
Yes, seeing as you are playing a wood flute, and an antique wood flute at that, the best thing to do is to take it apart when you're not playing it.

Otherwise, you could risk serious damage to the flute.
Denny

Post by Denny »

might just want to leave it in the case, eh!

buy a plastic one to play...
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

too much worry!

i have several of my flutes -- Olwells and Rudalls and Prattens -- on the flute stand.
I use the case to transport them.
Otherwise, i have a wall rack the flutes are on when I'm looking to use them soon. The room is humidified.

You need a good stand made for wood flutes. I had designed such an animal, so if you're interested, let me know and i can pass along photos.
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks David! Here's one of the pictures of lovely flutes on a stand - exhibit A: Jean Michel Veillon with some wooden flutes on a stand behind him! http://www.breizh.de/jpgs/veillon_1-02.jpg

But I have to say, I'm still very protective of my Thomas Prowse; are you sure it won't damage it to have out of its box and standing fully together like that? What about varying room temperatures?
Thalatta
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

When at home, I usually store my flute sitting on top of its case, being assembled. It's made from blackwood, and no cracks or other disadvantages have appeared so far.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

standing vertically is best. The moisture drains out evenly. Laying it flat for long periods allows any moisture to puddle and soak into the wood unevenly. Many old flutes have calcified deposits in the "channel" that is the bottom of the bore where the flute was resting flat.

Varying temperatures in a room are not as critical an issue (lest the flute is in direct sunlight, which you do not want). At issue is moisture variance of a great degree. I have a humistat in the room (actually two for redundancy of readings to be sure). And a cool-mist humidifier. When the humidity goes too low, on goes the humidifier.

the key thing is that the peg not be made of wood or metal as that can injure the bore of the flute. The design I have uses delrin rods whose tips have been rounded. No injury to even the softest of boxwoods.

of course, you'd like the stand to be far away from any foot traffic. I thought i had a great spot, but only to learn it's about where my pooch likes to drop her toys from the staircase. Sigh. No damage, but just have to find a different spot.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

David,

I'd like to see those pictures of your flute stand, if you're in a sharing mood.

Thanks,
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cork

Post by Cork »

I'm still in favor of taking a wood flute apart when not in use, especially if its tenons are wrapped with cork.

If cork wrapped tenons are left assembled, it's been known for cork to loose its elasticity, causing the joint to loosen.

That's not a major problem, but it's enough of a reason for me.

As Denny was saying, these days I leave a Delrin flute assembled, for use on the spur of the moment.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

sure enough Dow
lemme take a couple shots and post
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Oh, I agree with you on that, Cork. It's certainly the safer thing to do. I just thought that I might pick up an idea or two for what to do with the thing between tunes, if I had to get up for whatever reason. I can certainly glue a dowel into a piece of plywood (as a matter of fact, I've got just such a critter that I stand the pieces on when I oil them), but I thought that David might have a more elegant design.

Although, since we no longer have a cat living in the house, it'd probably be okay to leave a flute standing upright between practices, at least as long as it was taken apart every so often to give the cork lapping a chance to recover. Provided, of course that the stand is in a safe place, away from toy-dropping dogs :).

Ah, I see that David has answered while I was typing this. Thanks David!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.