Star Trek

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Star Trek

Post by Steamwalker »

Seriously, go see it. I just saw a special IMAX screening of it today at 7PM. I was a big Star Trek fan in the past and thought that the franchise was dead with the cancellation of Enterprise. I was excited about this movie for many months even though I was never a big fan of the original series (long before my time and it appeared cheesy to watch in my youth). I had high expectations of this film and I can genuinely say that it exceeded them. There are a few criticisms which I won't delve into for fear of spoiling the film but the biggest trekkies would probably have the greatest faults with the film. I am sure most others would enjoy the ride.

4/5
emmline

Re: Star Trek

Post by emmline »

Yeah, I'm curious. Am planning to go.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I was a big fan of the original series; probably because my mom loved to watch it when I was little despite it being in rerun by that time. I loved the "cheesiness" :lol: But I've been torn with this one...I'm hoping the differences aren't too distracting. The characters alone have far more complexity than they did in the series (at least it seems to be the case in the trailers I've watched). I don't know if that will take away from it all or add more to it for die hard fans.

Anyway...I want to see it too! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I want to watch it. I have a certain mindset about it.

When I watched the Lord of the Rings movies, I was able to enjoy them for what they were, in spite of the obvious differences between the movies and the actual storyline of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Several of my friends who also have a more-than-casual familiarity of Tolkien's work did not care for the movies at all. I enjoyed them because I knew from the start that they are a commemorative work based on and dedicated to the Lord of the Rings, and on that level I like them fine.

I am approaching the new Star Trek movie in the same way: it's a commemorative work based on and dedicated to the real Star Trek series and movies. On that level, I'll be very likely to enjoy it whether or not it remains true and consistent to the "canon" of Star Trek. If it turns out that it's a worthy addition to Star Trek, then it'll take it's place alongside some really excellent shows and movies. If it's not, then I'll still enjoy it, just as a commemoration of the real thing.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

If you like what Batman Begins did with the Batman franchise, you will likely like Trek. Although not a technical reboot, the tagline that states that "This is not your father's Star Trek" rings true more than you would think.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I enjoyed the original series and I enjoyed this movie.Well worth seeing :thumbsup:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Not good news.
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film (Onion news)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I.D.10-t wrote:Not good news.
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film (Onion news)
Devastating!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I saw this on Friday and liked it very much. The good thing is that they've set themselves up well for more movies if they want. I wouldn't mind seeing more if they can keep the same director.
Keith
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I grew up with the original Trek. I was only 8 when TNG broke onto the scene and was a big enough trekkie at that point to record the pilot on VHS (and I still have that tape too, somewhere). I still love to while away the hours watching my DVD copies of TOS ( I was ticked fruity when they remastered them!).

I was like a little kid when I found out they were making this film, and I've been counting down the days.
I went to see it opening night and have seen it twice since, and all I have to say is this:

BEST. TREK. EVAR!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler wrote:( I was ticked fruity when they remastered them!).
Why? Because they changed too much stuff, or because you'd already bought the un-remastered versions? (I don't have TOS on disc, and I didn't know they'd been remastered.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
Why? Because they changed too much stuff, or because you'd already bought the un-remastered versions? (I don't have TOS on disc, and I didn't know they'd been remastered.)
Whoops!!

Should have been *tickled*, not ticked.... :oops:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Whoops!!

Should have been *tickled*, not ticked.... :oops:
That one letter makes an L of a difference, eh? :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Just saw the movie, loved it. :)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Just saw the movie, loved it. :)
Me,too. ST:Cool.