Please allow me to introduce myself;

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Holt
antispam: No

Post by Holt »

While I've learned a lot by watching and listening from the wings for a few days now, I guess it's time for me to jump in. I know the only way for me to learn, as a beginner, is to introduce myself and start asking questions.
I'm a firefighter who's played a few instuments poorly (lack of commitment) for many years. A week or so ago, I was in the proccess of offering my services as a snare-drummer for a group of pipers in the Scottish Rite and by looking around on the internet for tunes, I found a sound file of the beautiful "Hector the Hero", done with guitar and tin whistles. I loved it!
The next day I bought a Clarke in C, and a Sweetone in D on which to learn it! By the end of the day, I had found this board and had an anxiety attack realizing that this could become an obsession!
I've enjoyed all your threads over the last few days and look forward to being a part of it. Although, I don't know how well I'll fit in, I'm a "beginner", I don't care for cats, horses are my game, I don't care for imported beer or Coddle & Soda bread... I like chicken-fried steak, biscuits and gravy, and I drink Tennessee sour mash Whiskey, my wife says I'm a redneck, but I just don't see it!
Y'all have fun with that, I hope so, and I hope you don't mind answering some of my beginner questions in the near future!

Looking forward to learning,

Tommy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Holt on 2003-01-19 04:35 ]</font>
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

welcome to the wild and wonderful world of whistling whilst you...
Ok just welcome
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Welcome! This is by and large a friendly, helpful group. You may find answers to some questions by using "search," found in the top right corner of every screen. I'm beginning to think this board has touched on just about everything on and off the topic of whistles.

As a native of Alabama (I don't admit that to everyone), I already understand there's more than one kind of redneck. I bet you're the kind who'd stop and help me change a tire, refuse payment, and call me "Ma'am."

There's not enough of you, in my opinion :grin:

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Holt, and welcome to the wonderful world of Whistlin!
Holt

Post by Holt »

Yes ma'am, thank you Marguerite. I also open doors for ladys, remove my hat during our first introduction, tipping it politely upon meeting again.

Tommy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Holt on 2003-01-18 16:17 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Welcome, Holt! This is a great place to learn. I can't believe all I've learned since I found C&F as a total beginner. Always feel free to ask questions. The old timers (I'm not one) will tell you to use the search engine for any questions, but for beginners I think it's easier to get to know folks by just asking and getting answers. And in doing that, we all get to interact with other whistlers, which is the best thing that we can do here.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Welcome aboard, Tommy. There's nothing bad about being a redneck. I sometimes go to tractor pulls, drink Bud and Jack Daniels, and love bluegrass. I would be a true redneck if I just had my pickup truck. My wife needed a real car, so I gave her my "Carolina Cadillac" (Ford F-150) to trade for a car. (Oh well, that Ford was a gas hog anyway.)
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

Welcome!

A firefighter! <a href="http://images.yorkphoto.com/3365%3B5592 ... ot1lsi">My two jedis</a> would just love you. A good guy that also whistles!

This last Sept. 11th, my jedis and I went to the local station (a mile from our house) with a huge platter of goodies. We plan to do this yearly.

Anyway, we whistlers have our own egroup, that is called Oklahoma Whistles. Mainly for those of us that want to keep in touch about things that are going on in the Oklahoma area, including Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Northern Texas. Also, for anyone that might have relatives or other business in Oklahoma and might be interested in knowing what is going on locally as far as seisiuns or concerts, fairs and festivals are concerned.

Here's where you sign up, if you like...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ok_whistles/

The next big event that I'm aware of is the CD release party that John N's band is having at Kilkenny Restaurant on the 24th here in Tulsa. John plays the whistle for the band and posts here now and then. He's locally famous! Anyway, I'm hoping a few of the Chiff and Fipple people will make it.

Again...welcome!

Kim in Tulsa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kim in Tulsa on 2003-01-18 16:37 ]</font>
Holt

Post by Holt »

Kim, what's a jedi? And unfortunatly,I'm on duty on the 24th, or I'd be there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Holt on 2003-01-18 16:44 ]</font>
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2003-01-18 16:41, Holt wrote:
Kim, what's a jedi?
Click on it where "My two jedis" is underlined. I added that later, because I forgot the first time.

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Holt

Post by Holt »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Holt on 2003-01-19 04:39 ]</font>
Paul

Post by Paul »

Holt Posted: 2003-01-18 15:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm an Oklahoma City firefighter who's played a few instuments poorly (lack of commitment) for many years. A week or so ago...
That pretty much describes me, Holt, Not the firefighter part :smile: but the part about playing a few instruments poorly etc. This board has really helped me focus myself as I am trying to get good on the Whistle, and a few other instruments. Best of luck to you! You are not alone. :smile:
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

:smile: Will do!

You will note that my eldest has on a "Clone troopers" tee-shirt. He's a huge Star Wars fan. And the youngest one just wants to be just like him. So that's why they are my 2 jedis.

I stay at home with them...home school the oldest. So it just so happened that on Sept. 11th 2001, we were sitting in the livingroom watching the news. Later, my son drew <a href="http://public.fotki.com/2jedismom/vario ... ">this.</a> He was six years old at the time.

K
carrie

Post by carrie »

On 2003-01-18 15:46, Holt wrote:
I found a sound file of the beautiful "Hector the Hero", done with guitar and tin whistles. I loved it!
The next day I bought a Clarke in C, and a Sweetone in D on which to learn it! By the end of the day, I had found this board and had an anxiety attack realizing that this could become an obsession!
hehehe

Hector the Hero is one of my favorites, too, as good a reason as any to surrender to the obsession. Welcome!

Carol
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2003-01-18 15:46, Holt wrote:
I found a sound file of the beautiful "Hector the Hero", done with guitar and tin whistles.
I love Hector the Hero too...do you still have the link for that sound file?

K