OT: Lake Effect

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

Have you ever seen a true lake effect snow storm? We had a textbook case this morning. I left my house, it was sunny, as I drove east I could see an arm of dark cloud reaching southward. By the time I got to my job 20 miles east of my house, it was a blizzard. It snowed half the day, a fluffy dry snow. 16" deep. When I got home, it was sunny and not a flake on the ground.
Life is good. Hard, but good.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

As a matter of fact ...

They name everything "lake effect" around here. There's the Lake Effect Inn, the Lake Effect Herefords dairy farm, etc.

Average snowfall, maybe 200 to 350 inches per year. It's hip deep on the ground right now and we've had two long thaws that took off about three feet of snow from before, so this is just from the last ten days or so. Four inches per hour is not unusual at all, and you can often drive right out from under it and see no snow falling and sometimes bare ground within less than ten miles.

I spent the day (including some time this evening under the full moon) removing several tons of snow from the roofs of two mobile homes that I'm renovating. They're engineered for a 30 pound per square foot roof load, and I can't allow the snow to break the roof trusses.

When I finished the first one, I simply jumped off the roof into the snowbank. I sank up to my armpits, which I hadn't planned for. "Hmm, what do I do now?" methought.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Around here we have what's called the Atlanta effect. The weatherman says It is going to snow so all the schools and govt. offices announce that they will be closed the next day based on the prediction. The local news media creates a smart graphic and a title like "Snow-Jam 2003" or something complete with music and all. Then all the bread and milk disappear off the shelves at a breakneck pace everywhere. And everyone battons down the hatches and gets ready for the deluge. Of course, usually, nothing happens. Not hardly a flake falls and everyone ends up going to work and living life normally except for having to eat all the bread and milk.

What inevitably happens, though, is that the weatherman misses the real storm that actually comes the next month and everyone gets stuck at work for the night. :lol:
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Although they do occasionally delay or close school around here (usually because of whiteout driving conditions), the roads are kept amazingly clear. They're used to this, and very good at dealing with it.

I grew up in southern Indiana, where a three-inch snowfall would shut down the whole city for half a day or more. It really helps to have plenty of those big snowploughs handy.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Paul

Post by Paul »

When it actually does snow here they pretty much have to close everything because Atlanta doesn't really have enough equipment to clear all the roads properly. It usually only happens about once a year or so, so there's no sense in the city investing in too much more snow-clearing equipment. We can live with it. :smile:
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

Boy, those weathermen have it made. They're on T.V., they get to wear those shnazy blazers and they don't have to be right more than 50% of the time....and they still get paid!
Life is good. Hard, but good.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

When I saw "lake effect" I thought it was about this.

http://www.greenlinnet.com/shopping/sea ... uctID=1030

If you go to listen and then MP3 you can hear one track of it.

Steve
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

We get the lake effect here in NE Ohio. I live on the far western edge of the Ohio/Penn/NY snow belt so we only get lots of snow when the wind is from N or NE. Steve, you must get some of it from L Huron.
Mike
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

There's supposed to be something called a snow line. And it's supposed to be somewhat to the north of us. Most of the snow accumulates north of it. Sometimes we get a lot of snow sometimes not much. I lived in Wisconson one winter and there's never been anything like that.

Steve
madguy

Post by madguy »

On 2003-01-18 09:54, SteveK wrote:
There's supposed to be something called a snow line. And it's supposed to be somewhat to the north of us. Most of the snow accumulates north of it. Sometimes we get a lot of snow sometimes not much. I lived in Wisconson one winter and there's never been anything like that.

Steve
Amen to that, Steve. The coldest, snowiest winter I've ever been through was the winter of '75 in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

~Larry
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

On 2003-01-17 23:52, Paul wrote:
When it actually does snow here they pretty much have to close everything because Atlanta doesn't really have enough equipment to clear all the roads properly. It usually only happens about once a year or so, so there's no sense in the city investing in too much more snow-clearing equipment. We can live with it. :smile:
Doesn't really matter if the roads are clear or not here. Most people will drive in anything. Even when they really shouldn't. :wink: I remember seeing three cars spin at the ssame intersection just a couple of days ago while walking to and from my classes.

A.J.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I live in Cleveland's secondary snow belt. When the wind is right, the primary belt, centered in Chardon, gets 10 inches, we get 5, and the rest of Cleveland gets nada. Unless the wind shifts and then it dumps on the West side and misses us. I like those better. Chardon gets it either way. Our local weather guys heve it pegged pretty well.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2003-01-17 23:41, Paul wrote:
Then all the bread and milk disappear off the shelves at a breakneck pace everywhere. And everyone battons down the hatches and gets ready for the deluge. Of course, usually, nothing happens.
Isn't that bizarre? Being a Yankee, I'd never seen that till I moved south. They predict a couple of inches, and suddenly all the bread, milk, and eggs disappear, plus it's impossible to get into the grocery store. People will actually push and shove if it's a big storm (like 6") that's been predicted. Don't people keep food in their houses? Anyone heard of pantries? Do they really think they'll suffer if they're shut up for a day or two (not likely as pointed out) without two weeks' worth of milk? Do they eat eggs every day? (I often see people with 2 dozen, occasionally 4 dozen eggs preparing for a storm.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

On 2003-01-18 10:35, FJohnSharp wrote:
When the wind is right, the primary belt, centered in Chardon, gets 10 inches, we get 5, and the rest of Cleveland gets nada. ... Chardon gets it either way.
I live just between Akron and Canton, so I don't see any lake effect. My dad wants to buy a place in Chardon, however. He says he likes the idea of being snowed in now that he's retired. I told him to paint his windows white, don't leave the house and pretend he's in Chardon.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Lake effect storms are very common for us near the Great Salt Lake. Living just a few miles to the east of the lake, we can get huge amounts of snow from it - unfortuntately, not this year. In the midst of a drought, at my house we've probably had a total of 3" of snow all winter.
Susan