Too much breath!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Too much breath!

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I had/still-too-frequently have -- those episodes. I'm fortunate my main gig whistle is very hard to overdrive, so until I "cool my jets" so to speak, it'll take the abuse (tho' it sounds cruddy), but basically, I do the same as Henke -- think about it and remember to exhale. And like so much else, I try to think of switching back and forth as something that needs to be practiced, too!

Congrats on your long notes. That's a major achievement! :party:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Congrats on your long notes. That's a major achievement! :party:
Thanks. Trouble is, as soon as I try to play a tune, the tone just sort of ... fades in and out. I can play a tune slowly, mind, but put any speed into it at all, and I get the fading-in-and-out thing. Grrr!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:"Nose-leak"
Now there's an expression that doesn't sound good at all. :o :lol:

I prefer the "Mouth leak". Same principle, and accidental spittle seems preferable to ... well, you know.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:I prefer the "Mouth leak".
much easier to do on a whistle :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote: Yehbut ... when it comes to doing things with your nose, you do have a head start, Jem ... :D
Snort! Or, in my present state, sniff! Be careful, or I'll tell 'em about the gooseberry!

MTGuru, we're only talking gentle pressure release exhalation, here, not vigorous snorking!
No danger of snot-spray, even if doing waterfall impressions like I am at the moment (blasted viruses!).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Not only am I a (dry) nose-leaker but I am also a condensation sucker (also easier on whistle). I wonder if I'm nice to know ?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:MTGuru, we're only talking gentle pressure release exhalation, here, not vigorous snorking!
I'm soooo disappointed.
jemtheflute wrote:Snort! Or, in my present state, sniff!
You haven't been kissing any pigs, have you?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I'd forgotten about the gooseberry ...

... yeuch ...

:o :(

[we need that pukey smiley on this board]
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:You haven't been kissing any pigs, have you?
No. Ben would doubtless tell you my nose would get in the way, even should an opportunity and the volition arise - and I'm not (yet?) sufficiently desperate...... or under the influence. And I still have some vestige of a sense of smell!
benhall.1 wrote:I'd forgotten about the gooseberry.

Ha! Well, you weren't a witness, of course, (happened before we met, gentle reader......) but it's an unforgettable yarn! My sister still hasn't entirely forgiven.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

david_h wrote:Not only am I a (dry) nose-leaker but I am also a condensation sucker (also easier on whistle). I wonder if I'm nice to know ?
How much uck
could a spit-sucker suck
if a spit-sucker could
suck uck?
Yuck-yuck!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

45 seconds of good loud tone? That's amazing :) I can never do that.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Same here. Started with whistle and didn't have enough air for flute. Then enough air for flute but my sense of breathing got off with the whistle. I naturally did a nose-leak even though I wasn't sure it was kosher. The alternative was taking smaller breaths with the whistle but still I felt "impatient" because my phrasing ended before my breath did.

Glad to hear this is normal and there are ways around it. I don't think about it now. I just switch and do it but there was some confusion in the beginning. It was really bad with the narrow bore burke!
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
david_h

Post by david_h »

I should own up that my 30 seconds was a quiete second octave g, which I have been practicing because someone here said that was good to do. I do sometimes nose-leak on flute and it may well be a reflection of poor breathing strategy - having to flush out after several quick snatches or dumping air ready for a big fresh breath when a chance is coming up.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Trip- wrote:45 seconds of good loud tone? That's amazing :) I can never do that.
Thanks for that. Yes, I was quite pleased. But it's incredibly frustrating that, despite getting a nice, strong tone, for what seems like ages, on one note, I can't actually maintain tone for even a single phrase of a tune. Ho hum. Back to the practice.

Actually, I suppose that's not quite true - the tone's not too bad on something slow. It goes off as soon as I try a jig or a reel.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

jemtheflute wrote:Well, I've never seen a Gen leaflet either! By the time I came to whistles in about 1975 I don't think they supplied such any more..
I have one from the 80s, somewhere.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis