Strong Food Aversions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Strong Food Aversions

Post by Dale »

I have started a new food program which requires eating fresh meals prepared by local chefs. (I want to lose 75 lbs). It's amazingly tasty food but I've had one problem. No one has ever accused me of being a picky eater, but I have an incredibly strong aversion to raw onions. It's not a mere preference of dislike. I react to onions much as I expect I would if trying to eat a salad drenched in ammonia. There are some foods I don't particularly like, but I have no trouble imagining that others would like them. But, in the case of raw onions, it is absolutely inconceivable to me that anyone could choke these things down, much less enjoy them.

This matter is of interest to me. Do you have any EXTREMELY strong food aversions?
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Re: Strong Food Aversions

Post by rebl_rn »

Green (bell) peppers. Cooked, raw, it doesn't matter. They are disgusting. Even the smell makes me gag. You can't just pick them out of whatever you are eating, either, because they flavor everything around them.

I don't like other bell peppers either, but I don't have the aversion to them I do to the green ones.

I don't like raw onions either, though I don't dislike them as much as you, Dale. But I do like cooked/fried ones. When ordering out, I will ask for no onions on the burger/sandwich/whatever, but then sometimes I get onion rings on the side. The servers think I'm weird.
Last edited by rebl_rn on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Getting back to these raw onions, how are they sliced, diced, minced, or whatever? I find a thick slice of onion a bit much but a sliver slice of an onion a welcome addition to lots of things. Even a stack of sliver slices that equal the thick slice is better to deal with. Diced and minced onions can go almost unnoticed.

Miracle Whip, Rye Bread, and Brie & Bleu Cheese come to mind as foods I avoid.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is calamari. I don't usually have a gag reflex thing for any kind of food. I typically can eat it, even if I really don't like it...I just have to go more slowly. I do like calamari, but I can't really eat it because to ME they look like deep fried spiders (BIG spiders...with the HUGE bodies...those REALLY icky ones)...at least the body portion. So, I think it's more the thought of what they look like rather than the taste, because whenever I eat one of them I start to gag in a big way. It's really weird.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

My daughter once claimed that I have a "wild dog" attitude toward food. That is, if it's not moving, I'll try it.....and if it is moving, I'll kill it, then eat it. She may be right...... except for hot dogs.

I don't care what you put on them, smother them in, bury them in, I can't stand them. Even the smell of them cooking brings up the gag reflex.

FWIW, this same daughter used to eat raw onions like other would an apple.....she started it as a toddler. When we were in a grocery store while the other kids would be reaching for candy bars, she'd be digging in the cart for the bag of onions. I actually had parents accuse me of abuse :boggle:
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

Mrs. CHasR shares your onion aversion. What Ive had to do is mince onions into teenytiny bits and saute them, so its like a kind of onion paste, almost; before inserting it into a recipie. She has no complaint at this.

My aversion is, having an ulcer, that I was once wholeheartedly (and responsibly) an omnivore, and now can't eat many of the foods I once enjoyed without, well..let's say, repercussions. (Anything heavy in vitamin C, for ex., is agony.) It's a pretty long list.
Yes, the days of mush are fast approaching for CHasR... :puppyeyes:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Green bell peppers (I'll eat 'em, but I don't have to like 'em). Blech.

Raw oysters (but I like sashimi, and sushi that has raw fish. Go figure). Major gag reflex.

Cilantro (except in a certain couple of Thai preparations only or so). An abomination.

Undercooked or raw string beans. Horrid. The worst. Poison.

Menudo. 'Nuff said.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've come to like most vegetables; however....

I have a strong distaste of beans. I can't abide the smell of them. I have tried them and found the taste absolutely nasty. The one exception is, on Thanksgiving, I eat the green beans almandine that my mother in law cooks. So far that's the only kind of bean dish I care for.

Also, I can't abide cooked greens. I like salads--if you want to feed me spinach, just put it in the salad, thank you very much. Cooked--and this is all greens, not just spinach--it looks and smells like something that came out of the south end of a north-facing horse. I simply can't imagine putting that in my mouth.

With regards to meats, my automatic gag reflex comes into play for organ meats. I can't imagine eating them, don't want to smell them cooking, and can't even stand to look at them for long.

However, I quite like raw onions. Very nice in salads, and I also like to eat them with fried fish or fried pork chops. Yum. Sorry Dale.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mutepointe wrote: Even a stack of sliver slices that equal the thick slice is better to deal with. Diced and minced onions can go almost unnoticed.
Not by me!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mutepointe wrote: Miracle Whip, Rye Bread, and Brie & Bleu Cheese come to mind as foods I avoid.
But, I'm looking not for foods people merely avoid, but for foods people react to with particular, almost biological aversion.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I guess these foods do not qualify to the truly culinary sophisticated to be "aversions." I guess I just really dislike them. Would it help to know that if I accidently eat them, I drop them off my tongue, even at a swanky partay?
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:I guess these foods do not qualify to the truly culinary sophisticated to be "aversions." I guess I just really dislike them. Would it help to know that if I accidently eat them, I drop them off my tongue, even at a swanky partay?
I would call that "aversions". We'll have to ask Dale.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Gristle. If you want to torture me, force me to chew and swallow gristle. 'Cause that's the only way you're gonna get me to eat it: at gunpoint. And even then I'd consider the bullet to maybe be the better option. *shudder*
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Yes, what is the scientific food aversion scale? Where does "scream like a schoolgirl" fall on the scale?
白飞梦
missy

Post by missy »

Bananas. Even the smell disgusts me. My kids owe me the rest of their lives for mashing up those bananas for them when they were babies.

Coconut is a close second. I refuse to eat a chocolate out of a box cuz I can never tell if it's coconut.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com